Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Don't mean to be a nudge but I feel like it got lost and I'm really curious about this....

A few half-thoughts/questions:

I've been seeing a lot of arguments for using the Non-G7 as "feeder corps" and that it will impact the G7 negatively by not having those corps exist and flourishing below them. I tend to agree with this. I've marched at the top and bottom of both classes and in MY experience and from what I've witnessed, these corps who place lower take a kid who would never ever in a million years have a shot at a top corps, worked with them and made them presentable, and then the kid goes to win a championship with one of those G7 corps. Just in my short time involved with drum corps on both sides of this spectrum, I've seen it at least fifteen times. And that's just kids going to corps that go on to WIN, not even counting the ones who go on to other corps in the G7.

In response to a similar comment or concern rather, a G7 corps director reported that there really aren't that many members of the corps that come from other corps. I think the figure he mentioned was around 10%. I find this really hard to believe. I mean... maybe they're ONLY from the corps that I marched, because I can list over 10 off the top of my head who went to march in this corps in the past few years, but maybe there are other factors I'm not considering. And that's just FROM one corps TO one other, not accounting for all of the other 'training' corps and where their former members end up.

So, I just wanted to maybe get some other opinions or examples of this. I feel that limiting the experience of A and Open Class corps, this would in the end hurt the level of talent of the G7 audionee. But maybe that's just based on the corps that I've been involved with. I know that not EVERYONE who auditions for top corps has previous corps experience, but coming from a "training" corps myself, I know that there is a good amount. Again, at least from the corps I have in mind.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, go back to the old "first tour, second tour" model . . .first tour goes out in perhaps a tri-state area or a little bit larger to shows, and those corps that can afford to do a second "national" tour.

So . . .let's take Blue Stars:

1st tour: shows in IL, WI, MI, IN, MN, regional championship.

2nd tour: expands out, west towards Denver, circles back through Texas and up through the South and then to the Mid-Atlantic, coming back to the Midwest for championships.

In short, not too much different than now for those groups that would have the wherewithal to do so. Madison, Blue Stars, BAC, Glassmen, etc become the new national touring face for DCI.

Open class corps could just do the first tour, get some exposure at a regional championship and then spend a few weeks to practice and save up for national championships if they didn't have enough money to make it through the second national tour.

DCI started out with Corps like Madison Scouts, Blue Stars, Troopers, Boston Crusaders, Crossmen, etc and others. If the G-7 want to go out and compete with 10,000 other exhibition " show bands" for the public's discretionary income doing exhibitions, I 'll wish them bon voyage and good luck should it come to that.

Edited by BRASSO

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves".

Wow, and people think we get wound up here..... "Destroying the rich?????"

But wow but I have sarcastic (and non-productive) responses on the independence and do for themselves parts.....

and if he is rich, why does the proposal say otherwise?

and if he is rich, why does the proposal say otherwise?

Now I warned you last week about thinking too hard.... :thumbup:

"If I were a rich man.... yada da da da da, yada da da da daaaaaa". :tongue:

"You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence."

Then show some character and independence and take your proposed show band and your philosophy on tour and leave the rest of us alone instead of trying to ram your so-called 'visionary' beliefs on the rest of us, please. Go. Go away. Stop being the wedge. Just go if you're so right. Prove it. There's the door. I can take a DCI without all the stuff you and others have rammed down our throats and for the most part, rejected. Go you have the belief it will work and find out the truth- that your ideas have been empty and out in CloudCuckooLand.

And really, the NFL's Revenue-sharing plan seems to work fine for them to make sure there are enough teams for the league and everyone has money to be sustainable, doesn't it? :thumbup:

Edited by BigW

You guys are getting trolled by GH so hard right now with this quote that it is funny

How do you know he's trolling? Remember this is the guy who put a personal gripe in a professional job announcement last summer. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You guys are getting trolled by GH so hard right now with this quote that it is funny

Of course we are; it's all part of the game he plays. He's even a member of the "DCI and the G7" facebook page.

Heh.

"Cloud of chaos", indeed.

How do you know he's trolling? Remember this is the guy who put a personal gripe in a professional job announcement last summer. :thumbup:

Even if he completely believes that quote he still put it up to get a reaction and you guys are giving it

What does this mean and why is it impactful on what's being posted here?

Just because he's trolling do you think the posts here will change?

The only group I've ever seen that has the kahoonas to speak their minds on drum corps more than GH is the group on DCP.

What happened to: "DCP is irrelevant. Nobody pays attention. DCP is a niche inside a niche." (among other intentionally opinion-marginalizing tripe)?