What was the most legendary show of all time?

Tough one to answer this, but here's my choice in no order (bearing in mind I'm in England & the majority of shows I've seen are on DVD!)

Scouts 1988 - my first live DCI & was lucky enough to be sat on the 50 yard line! This whole show blew me away & I was lucky enough to see the transformation from earlier in the year whne they toured England. The music is amazing & superbly scored, the drill simply very effective and the performance from thise guys was just awesome - truly a case of "you really had to be there"!

Cadets 1983 - A truly jaw dropping moment in Drum Corps! We had heard stories in th UK that they were putting out something different, but had to wait until September to get the video of the PBS broadcast. We sat and watched the other Corps do there stuff & really enjoyed it. Then Cadets came on with Rocky Point Holiday & oh lord that drill!! I've got goosebumps now thinking about it! I remember thinking at the time "Holy sh&t what have they done? Drum Corps has changed forever!" The show just gets better & better and when you think they cant get any better - that ending with the RPH reprise & "z-pull" - unforgettable!!

Devils 1986 - Big, big BIG show! Not a single down moment & when the horns hit that Company front in Chick Cores Suite!! Plus I love Buddy Rich and that was an awesome Channel one Suiye!

Phantom 2008 - always like the Regiment and this is their finest (&one of DCIs) greatest moment. Astonishing show, superbly executed and performed to perfection! Oh yeah and no need for a running commentary!!

Vanguard 1989 - loved the show in 1988 (I was sat in the middle of the SCV crowd at finals!) and thought they took it up a notch this year. Beautiful music 7 so, so emotional.

John

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halftime Magazine (www.halftimemag.com). Check out the current issue here.

03-2010-halftime-magazine-cover-THM.jpg

Hello everyone...

As a writer for Halftime magazine, I’m putting together another article reviewing the FAN'S CHOICE of the Most Legendary DCI World Class drum corps show of all time (from 1972).

FROM THE HALFTIME MAGAZINE WEBSITE:

"Halftime Magazine is writing a feature story about the Most Legendary Drum Corps Shows (focusing on the years since the formation of Drum Corps International). We would love to hear your feedback, which may be included in the article. This is your chance to tell the world which drum corps had the most legendary show ever--not necessarily who was the best champion."

Which DCI show made you jump out of your seat as you observed the most amazing drill move? Which performance held you captive as you listened to the most beautiful musical arrangement? Or was there a show where you witnessed something you had never seen or heard before from the field that had you talking about it years later? Or which show made a lasting impact on the entire drum corps movement?

Nominate your favorite legendary DCI show of all time online in the comments section of the Halftime webpage or by clicking here to "Contact Us" with subject line, “Legendary Drum Corps Shows.”

NOTE: Comments must be posted and emails sent by midnight on June 15, 2010, to be considered. Then read the winners’ list in our upcoming July/August 2010 issue.

This is a great opportunity to speak your mind about the most legendary show ever for drum corps staff members, support staff volunteers, members and alumni of these drum corps to be considered for the article.

Musically,

-=GM=-

Gregory M. Kuzma

Writer

Halftime Magazine

www.halftimemag.com

GMKuzmaAuthor@aol.com

Top 5 for me:

86 Blue Devils

08 Phantom Regiment

91 Star of Indiana

89 Phantom Regiment

85 Garfield Cadets

73 SCV (could go with 89 SCV here) IMHO SCV was the first corps to approach drum corps as a true musical activity. Music was more important than tradition.

76 BD When I think of this corps I kinda think of the first modern drum corps. I can't really figure out why though.

83 Cadets Completely changed the visual aspect of drum corps. Not to mention the smokin' hormline.

93 Star A corps that (IMO) still influences drum corps. I loved them at the time and I still do.

02 Cavies Not a revolution in visual, revolution is not their style. More like visual hyper-evolution.

These are the shows that I felt changed the direction of drum corps. 75 Madison and 76 Bridgmen were a great corps, but did not really set any trends. It was hard not to put 08 PR on the list, but I do not really seeing this show influencing other corps.

1984 Garfield Cadets. The music. The drill. The soloist. Groundbreaking, and devastatingly good.

1991 Star of Indiana. Same as above, minus the soloist!

1980 27th Lancers. Tremendous all around effort that peaked a week too early at Allentown. Every element of this show was excellent.

1980 Bridgemen. Showed the world that funny, crowd pleasing, and outrageous could also be really well performed.

1975 Hawthorne Muchachos. Awesome. Powerful. And the best darn corps that year. So many members/staff of that corps have gone on to hugely impact the activity.

In no particular order...

Star 93 nothing like it, ever, before or since...

Scouts 88 FIRE

SCV 89 Magic tricks, what?!

BD 95, while dirtier than it should've been, still one of the meanest shows I know of...

PR 96, also mean and dark, just the way I like it!

1975 Hawthorne Muchachos should at least get an honorable mention. The 1976 Bayonne Bridgemen set the drum corps world on it's ear, but no mention?

it is supposed to be YOUR opinion on the legendary top five shows of all time.....put them all together and choose the top five that are the most legendary...out of all the choices, do you feel these two are the five most legendary to ever hit the field ??

G

1988 Madison - My first Finals, Top 12 within 10 points of one another, and a breathtaking show.

1989 Cavies - Great music and drill, First time I really noticed a drill design

1995 Cadets - emotional, fun and thrilling

2009 SCV - Wow

1985 Suncoast Sound - Florida Suite! The music was just amazing.

Craig

1. Phantom Regiment 2008 - No doubt the greatest all round DCI show EVER! The emotion... remember the cheer when 2nd place was announced, finals week momentum.... 4th to 1st!

2. Madison Scouts 1988 - The greatest ever "wall of noise" show.

3. Garfield Cadets 1984 - The most spine chills in one show!

4. The Bridgemen 1978 - Jim Brady you're a legend!!!

5. Blue Devils 1987 - Probably alone with this choice but I loved that show! After the Semis they knew they had no chance so they just went out and had fun! The 3 soloists at the end were having a great time!

Many great choices! I cannot disagree with any of them.

Here are mine:

1. 1980 27th Lancers- This was an eye opening show for me. I feel that George Zingali was just developing his name as an elite drill designer. Wow, that colorguard (especially rifles) were fantastic. They almost became the first DCI Champion from the east.

2. 1980 Spirit of Atlanta- The last show arranged by the late Jim Ott. I happened to see the corps at Whitewater, when they were first wearing the black patches in memory of him. They played their hearts out for Jim and the other staff who were injured. "Let it Be Me" became a classic with this corps.

3. 2008 Phantom Regiment- Awesome!

4. 1984 Garfield Cadets- Breathless!

5. 1977 Bridgemen- This was a great show with the awesome playing of Jim Brady. This show will go down in history because of the disqualification. So, I selected it because of that reason.

Edited by cavies79