What was the most legendary show of all time?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1979 Blue Devils (Watching the guard carry Double High EZ on a platform while he played a solo!)

1980 Blue Devils (Watching my best friends win a championship and of course listening to Pete Burneko play)

1981 Blue Devils (Placing 2nd place by .25 with a 9th place percussion section)

1982 Blue Devils (Enjoying a perfect season)

1983 Blue Devils (My final season of Jr. Corps fun)

I know I am a bit jaded... and yes to me these are the best ever... Well except for 83 lol

Star of Indiana - 1993. Nothing like this was done before or since.

Watch Suncoast Sound 1988....you'll see that while Star took that kind of performance to the heights, it started with Suncoast (as did the placed foot direction changes common in marching of today, rather than the more common hard pivots of the day. Suncoast was ahead of the curve in a lot of areas, but rarely gets credit for it.)

This is an interesting list. The poster is not looking for the best performed shows, or the most entertaining shows, or the highest scoring shows; he is looking for the top 5 most legendary shows. To me, legendary means that show must stand the test of time, is still discussed today, has perhaps had a great influence on the activity, even on judging, and has attracted many fans throughout the years.

To me, there are a LOT of shows that fit this description. All the lists I have seen are amazing. I don't know how you pick just 5, but here we go.

1. Star of Indiana 1993: it gets #1 because I have never seen a show talked about more than this one, even now, some 17 years since it was performed. It has grown in legend, clearly picking up fans, and it was a polarizing show. Ahead of it's time, ground breaking, well performed, and often copied in style (even Cadets 2005 to some extent). It may not be the most entertaining show ever, but I think it has become THE MOST legendary show.

2. 1984 Garfield Cadets: This show took 1983 one step further, changed the activity, was often copied in style, and has been discussed often over the years, especially the excellent solo work in the mellophone. It's a classic Jim Prime music book, and a stunning visual package by the masters, George Zingali and Marc Syllvester. The legendary staff that gave us this show would ultimately give us Star of Indiana 1993. Why am I not surprised?

3. Madison Scouts 1975: Has there EVER been a show that elicited such power and musical punch from count 1 to the end of the show? I think not. Close, maybe, but for sheer power and precision and musical entertainment, this one gets the nod.

4. Santa Clara Vanguard and Garfield Cadets 1987: Yes, we have a tie, and how fitting that we do since DCI has had a few over the years. These two superstar shows were in a CLASS by themselves in 1987. They were heavily copied, often discussed in the day, and contained some of the most magical moments ever in DCI history. You had controversy, outstanding performance, .1 separating the two, a ballet dancer and Russian literature, a piece of Americana and the pomp and circumstance of the "Great Gate of Kiev." In reality, they both won, and they remain what many people consider the quintessential drum corps shows of the last 30 years.

5. Blue Devils 1979: This was BD at their best, and at the height of their first wave of championships. They were sophisticated, jazzy, and had the best soloists this side of a recording studio. The music they performed in this era set off a new and growing industry for custom marching band arrangements. When I speak to many older music educators, those in their 50s and 60s now, they always remind me of how amazing 1979 BD was.

Why no corps from 2000 and on? None are really legendary just yet. Give it time. Legendary has an element of time and nostalgia to it. AS much as I love Phantom 2008 or Cadets 2000, and others, I think more time needs to pass.

Others that came close: Bridgemen 1980, Blue Devils 1982 and 1986, Santa Clara Vanguard 1974 and 1989, Garfield 1983, Suncoast Sound 1984 and 1988, Muchachos 1975, 27th Lancers 1980, Troopers 1986, Madison Scouts 1988 and 1995, and Phantom Regiment 1979.

Edited by jwillis35

More of the same I know haha

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - Phantom of the Opera

-Amazing arrangement. Nuff said

1991 Star of Indiana - Roman Images

-So so many notes and sets. Wow

1993 Star of Indiana - The Music of Barber and Bartok

-Iconic and epic in every way. Set up the future of drum corps

2002 Cavaliers - Frameworks

-One of my first shows ever. The drill design is genius

2008 Phantom Regiment - Spartacus

-My favorite show. Perfect integration of story and music

It's kind of funny, That's how I felt about Blue Devils in 1982. Days before, we had just beaten SCV for the first time in Huntington, W.V. and we ( The Cadets ) were hyped to go to Bayonne, N.J. to get the Blue Devils! The Cadets put on a pretty darn good show that day and we felt pretty good. Well, BD put on a show that has stayed in my head til this day. I remember sitting in the stands in uniform ( we had full retreats back then) thinking, Whoa! It's going to take alot to beat that!

I remember that day well. I was a member of the 82 Blue Devils and we all heard about Garfield beating SCV. We also knew, you guys would be looking at us with new bit of zeal. I believe SCV had just beat their record high score at DCI Canada or came really close by the time the Bayonne show rolled around.

So, suddenly we had to deal with the prospect of a corps in Garfield who thought they could challenge us as well as SCV who is now believing they can beat us for the title.

We had to have a killer performance at Bayonne and make a statement. The statement was like our corps, loud, brash, confident (cocky?). The statement? We were the DCI Champions and we're going undefeated.

We were pumped up for that show like it was finals. We had our best "Hell On Fire" performance at the Bayonne show and had a great performance that some would call the best of all time that night. It was amazing.

Now - aside from the cockiness of my statement above. I absolutely loved Garfield that year. One of my favorite shows. I used to get to the stadium or warm-ups just to hear some of that cool music. My dad has a lot recording at DCI Midwest Prelims he made that I love. Cadets hornline playing Concerto in F. Amazing!

I had made friends with a cymbal player from 82 Cadets (Tim?? I think his name was). I think I was as much a fan of Garfield as he was of the Blue Devils.

Anyway - you gossled a few of the memory cells today.

Personally, I think to be legendary, the show has to have had some years to sink in. Therefore, none of my choices are really recent. (And Phantom 2008 is not one of my choices for this reason, although I believe if someone asks me the same question 10 years from now, they WILL be on my list.)

1984 Garfield Cadets - WHY? Because if you listen to them play now, it sounds like a modern arrangement, even though it was over 25 years ago.

1987 SCV - WHY? Someone else already mentioned this, but Gail Royer said this was the "epitome of a drum corps performance."

1988 Madison Scouts - WHY? Malaguena!

1993 Star of Indiana - WHY? Because it is still being discussed today. Absolutely the definition of LEGENDARY.

1996 Phantom Regiment - WHY? Their first title. Steady improvement. Emotion! (just look at the drum major's face at the end) And it was a TIE!!!

My five:

1984 Garfield Cadets - Barbara Maroney with the greatest ( IMHO ) soloist performance of all time

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard

1989 Phantom Regiment

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

2008 Phantom Regiment

I guess you can tell which my two favorite corps are! :shutup: