Why did you march

I marched because a friend of mine in my HS marching band said "hey, you wanna come to this drum corps camp with me?" I had never seen drum corps before in my life (seriously, no lie), but I went to the camp and immediately knew I wanted to be part of whatever this drum corps thing was. And so it began.

My first actual viewing of a drum corps show of any sort was after my own first show as a member of the Nighthawks. I have no idea where it was or who I saw now at that first show. What I do remember is being in Denver later in the 1983 season and seeing SCV for the first time. I remember that feeling like it happened just last night. I was HOOKED: that astounding hornline, the percussion and an amazingly musical book, and that beautiful, graceful color guard. I mean, totally and completely HOOKED. Thank you 1983 SCV! And thank you J.J. for talking me into that Nighthawks camp!

(edited to add: This is why legacy fans and nostalgia are important - we're older, our love is usually still strong and some of us have some pretty nice chunks of change to toss at the activity)

Edited by TerriTroop

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering what made people march. Not with a particular corps just in general. People always mention the competitive aspect of the activity and I'm wondering how much of a decsion that went into marching.

At the time I didn't know what Crossmen placed the previous year. I had only seen them a couple of times but I marched because I wanted to be part of something cool, something that I seen on TV. I would have marched with the Oaktown Tree Climbers :tongue: if they were close enough. Ended up with alot of good memories. The only time placement was thought about was when I was home watching on TV.

As a kid growing up in Lynn MA, living across the street from Manning Bowl.... How could anyone see and hear all of the great Drum Corps from (for me anyways) the late 50's through the early 60's compete in Manning Bowl and not want to be a part of all of that?

My mother told me when I could walk to the rehearsals by myself I could join the Lynn Continentals. (For anyone that remembers the Lynn Commons) The winter rehearsals were in the Armory (just off the Commons) and summer rehearsals were on the Lynn Commons. (open field next to the Band Stand) From Manning Bowl (I lived on Western Ave) to the Commons was about a 20/30 min walk for this 9 yr old...

I had the honor of competing in Manning Bowl with each of the Corps I marched with and having my family cheer us on... :shutup:

As a kid growing up in Lynn MA, living across the street from Manning Bowl.... How could anyone see and hear all of the great Drum Corps from (for me anyways) the late 50's through the early 60's compete in Manning Bowl and not want to be a part of all of that?

My mother told me when I could walk to the rehearsals by myself I could join the Lynn Continentals. (For anyone that remembers the Lynn Commons) The winter rehearsals were in the Armory (just off the Commons) and summer rehearsals were on the Lynn Commons. (open field next to the Band Stand) From Manning Bowl (I lived on Western Ave) to the Commons was about a 20/30 min walk for this 9 yr old...

I had the honor of competing in Manning Bowl with each of the Corps I marched with and having my family cheer us on... :devil:

Oh yes, the Manning Bowl in Lynn. I remember that stadium foundly. I remember going to shows there when I was a kid, and since my family know alot of people involved with the Boston Crusaders, I remember working some shows, too! :music: But unfortunatly, it was torn down before I joined a drum corps. :w00t::tongue: But, I will still always have the found memories of that place. Oh how I miss it... :blink:

:shutup:

I'm wondering what made people march. Not with a particular corps just in general. People always mention the competitive aspect of the activity and I'm wondering how much of a decsion that went into marching.

At the time I didn't know what Crossmen placed the previous year. I had only seen them a couple of times but I marched because I wanted to be part of something cool, something that I seen on TV. I would have marched with the Oaktown Tree Climbers :tongue: if they were close enough. Ended up with alot of good memories. The only time placement was thought about was when I was home watching on TV.

Two words: Flag Girls :shutup:

My high school marching band director kept mentioning something called the "Madison Scouts" and "drum corps". I was sitting around killing time before band rehearsal one day and I decided to ask him what drum corps was. He pulled out a VHS of the Scouts' 1995 show (he marched in it), put it into a tv/vhs player in another room, and left me to watch it. I knew I wanted to march after that. I loved marching band, and this was beyond marching band to me.

As for why I marched Pioneer, I looked at corps when I got to college, and I decided to go to the first Pio camp. It was such an awesome experience, that I knew I wanted to be a part of that corps.

Ah....drum corps...

The first show I remember viewing was in St. Louis in 1993! I was 6 years old and my dad took me on a business trip and just so happened to have a show that weekend not too far from where we were staying. I didn't know it at the time, but I had just witnessed one of the last times Star was able to perform. And every year after, my dad took me to shows and I was in love for life! I found a nearby corps (Pacific Crest) tried out when I was 12 just to get the audition experience and would have made it, but I was just too young! So when I was 14, I tried out and made it! It's all thanks to my dad!

THANKS DAD!

So why did I march? Well I need to take a journey back to memory lane circa 1986...I really loved marching band in high school and my band director used to show us VHS tapes of DCI shows. I don't think watching the tapes gained me any benefit, but they were still fun to watch at the time. I really had no clue who DCI was and that I was even watching drum corps for that matter. The corps that stuck out in my mind at the time were the Troopers and Phantom Regiment from the 1986 PBS broadcast. Though I was introduced to drum corps in 1986, I did not take an active roll in trying to join any group as I was involved in so many other musical groups at the time. It was not until a HS band competition in 1989 (a year after graduating HS) that I walked over to a booth that was run by the Boston Crusaders. I had no clue who they were or what they were about at the time. All I remember at the time was a kid playing VHS videos on old TV set. It reminds me of the DCI booth at Championships. I thought to myself that's pretty cool and I spoke with the kid and since the application was right there I signed up. I marched with them in 1990 and 1991 before I aged out. Though I contiplated trying out for Cadets for the 1991 season which was closer to me I choose to stay and age out with Boston because they really became a family to me and I really felt the passion for the corps coming from the staff at that time. Thanks BAC for a great experience!