The OFFICIAL Cavaliers Thread

Watched the show on FN tonight.

I ... don't get it. What's it about? I'm not trying to be dense - I truly don't get it. It's a very militant Marines vibe, but is it supposed to be post-apocalyptic / Mad Max or what?

I think the drill is awesome - very "Cavaliers"-like, and that's a great thing. I think the ballad is fun, and the mallet feature in the middle is a show-stopper. Even got my wife (listening across the room) to stop and comment on it. The only thing I don't get is the very-upbeat closing tune - it doesn't fit at all with the others, and I wonder if I'm missing something theme or story wise that might help it make sense.

Otherwise, I think it's a fine show, it's good to hear real volume from them (with the SCV-like "push" on the end of power chords) and I think they're going to jump back up into the top 4 before this is all over.

Mike

I thought the same thing, Mike. I like what I saw and heard from the Cavies. But it was like I was transported from bootcamp with the Marines immediately to walking the beach thinking of the old puppy that keeled over and died last night and looking at the waves roll in with sad/ happy thoughts of the departed puppy..... If this was a movie, it was like they misplaced a roll of film or something in the editing room.

I have absolutely no idea what message this theme is supposed to be conveying to me. Unless they wanted to convey confusion to me.... if THAT was it... then ironically they succeeded.

Anybody else here want to help out 2 posters like us that don't have a clue what the message is with this" Marines with a case of the Melancholies " show ?

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I got. Full Metal Jacket meets Stripes. That is 110% accurate, since they used lines from both movies. I was waiting for the "This is my rifle. This is my gun. This is for fighting. This is for fun." bit in the show. But, that one was left out.

after all the heat BD got for "Yowza!" All I have to say is "Razzle dazzle!"

:sad:

This is what I got. Full Metal Jacket meets Stripes. That is 110% accurate, since they used lines from both movies. I was waiting for the "This is my rifle. This is my gun. This is for fighting. This is for fun." bit in the show. But, that one was left out.

I was hoping for anything from the 10 minutes with the drill sgt. Maybe "let me see your war face" "AHHHHHH" :tongue:

Oh, and the bit in the opener with the corps in a giant triangle, marching, leaping, spinning their way across 20 yards of field - genius!

Mike

Just saw this show for the first time and this was one of my favorite sections. Also liked the expanding and contracting circles part. Reminded me of '04 a little bit.

Edited by Western Burger

Wait a minute, are my ears deceiving me (only viewed on FN), or are The Cavaliers playing LOUD this year?!?!?!

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT

I get the " boom chucka lugga lugga..... boom chucka lugga, lugga " Bill Murray schtick from the movie " Stripes ". It's meant to be funny camp. I was expecting then the song with the words.... " there she was just awalkin' down the street singin' " do wah a diddy diddy dum diddy do ", etc.... snappin' her fingers and ashufflin her feet.... etc..." she looked good, ( looked good ) she looked fine ( looked fine ), , etc an' I nearly lost my mind singing... " do wah a diddy diddy dum diddy do "...... and so forth.

But instead, Cavies go into playing a Judy Garland melancholy song of " Smile " ?......".though your heart is breaking,... whats the use of trying.... you'll get by...., ... if you just.......

( wtf ? ) .......... " smile " ? huh ? Full Metal Jacket meets Bill Murray meets Judy Garland's " Smile " ? Well, fly me over the rainbow, because this former GI is lost. Can anybody care to explain the Cavies 2010 theme to us ?

Edited by BRASSO

I like the circle drill in Smile. And the way they present the melody. And the amount of weight they're giving to the low brass. And the way they build the climax of that song to such tension, and then back off at the end.