Boston Crusaders 2010

Anyone gonna give us an update after the run-through? Been listening to Core of Temptation ALL week, getting pumped for BAC this year. =D

BAC will make you happy with their show again this year. ( but you are still a naughty boy ) :sad:

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the runthrough tonight in Quincy. I'm not used to seeing earlier season drum corps, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

There were good things and some not so good things, but overall, the good FAR outweighed the not so good. I think hornline numbers were 24/16/24/16. They had two tuba holes today, but at least one person was learning drill. Drumline is 9/4/5 and about 13 in the pit. Guard work seemed mostly complete (don't remember much in the closer) but still dirty, and they weren't wearing uniforms. Corps looked classy as usual in their uniforms. They're definitely taking it up a step in terms of difficulty and I'm very impressed with what they're trying to tackle.

I'll just say it - this is easily going to be a major crowd favorite this year, and I mean MAJOR. It seems like a show that's very capable of appealing to both new and old school fans of drum corps. Much like last year, they're delivering a total package performance and are doing a terrific job with the story-telling aspect. The intro is one of the coolest I've seen in a while, and the transition into the 10th was very well done. The ballad will easily be one of the most beautiful moments on the field this summer. Lots more body movement which will probably look cool from up high. And the drumline... holy crap. I was very impressed, and for me, they're the strongest section of the corps right now (actually, the entire percussion section is strong).

I actually didn't get as much from the brass as I was expecting (in terms of volume) given how much everyone else has been hyping them, but I will say their overall sound was excellent. There were still plenty of moments with individuals sticking out (most noticeable from the high-end in the ballad), but I'm pretty sure that can be said for most corps at this point, and the fact that their actual quality of sound is VERY good overall leaves me thinking they're already in a good place to move forward. Drill is still sometimes unreadable, visuals in the closer are in very rough shape and not uniform, and stamina is a huge issue right now, but let's face it... it's still June and they had just finished an intense day of rehearsal. In terms of design, there was VERY little that I didn't like. The things that come immediately to mind are the drumline feature in Planet Damnation (I think) when the hornline doesn't move at all or does very minimal drill on Side 1 while the drumline is performing a sort of "fight for the throne" segment (very cool, btw). Same situation in the ballad in terms of movement. But I can easily look past it given the sheer difficulty of some of the drill.

Overall, if I'm being entirely honest, I don't think this version of the Crusaders will be challenging the top 5, but they are in a VERY good place, moreso than last year. People are going to eat this show up and it's definitely worthy of multiple listens/viewings. These guys are headed in the right direction and will be in a VERY good place come August. Great show, BAC!

Edit: I forgot to mention, Mid-range: HOLY ####! What a gorgeous sound!!!!!

Edited by Musicman1084

Who was there tonight? Uniformed run?

The corps was in uniform the guard only in practice clothes. The full run thru happened about 8:00 as the light was leaving the stadium It is late so I cannot write that much but I was very pleased with their progress from when I saw their first run thru. A lot of movement has been added. Some guard work has been added but much is missing most notably in most of the last movement. Rifle and sabre work looks good with a number of well executed 5 & 6's. There is a crazy weapons exchange over the brass line. Overall because of demanding book and crazy tempos there are ensemble issues all over the place. There are also times in the show (percussion feature) where the rest of the corps basically marches in place. The ballad is stunning. I had goosebumps for the first time this season. With 2 more full days to practice they should be in good shape for Saturday. Right now I would estimate their score some where between 68-70. I bet they will surpass this by Saturday. BTW they have added another day of practice in Quincy tommorow and I would expect another run thru around the same time.

Just saw the runthrough tonight in Quincy. I'm not used to seeing earlier season drum corps, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

There were good things and some not so good things, but overall, the good FAR outweighed the not so good. I think hornline numbers were 24/16/24/16. They had two tuba holes today, but at least one person was learning drill. Drumline is 9/4/5 and about 13 in the pit. Guard work seemed mostly complete (don't remember much in the closer) but still dirty, and they weren't wearing uniforms. Corps looked classy as usual in their uniforms. They're definitely taking it up a step in terms of difficulty and I'm very impressed with what they're trying to tackle.

I'll just say it - this is easily going to be a major crowd favorite this year, and I mean MAJOR. It seems like a show that's very capable of appealing to both new and old school fans of drum corps. Much like last year, they're delivering a total package performance and are doing a terrific job with the story-telling aspect. The intro is one of the coolest I've seen in a while, and the transition into the 10th was very well done. The ballad will easily be one of the most beautiful moments on the field this summer. Lots more body movement which will probably look cool from up high. And the drumline... holy crap. I was very impressed, and for me, they're the strongest section of the corps right now (actually, the entire percussion section is strong).

I actually didn't get as much from the brass as I was expecting (in terms of volume) given how much everyone else has been hyping them, but I will say their overall sound was excellent. There were still plenty of moments with individuals sticking out (most noticeable from the high-end in the ballad), but I'm pretty sure that can be said for most corps at this point, and the fact that their actual quality of sound is VERY good overall leaves me thinking they're already in a good place to move forward. Drill is still sometimes unreadable, visuals in the closer are in very rough shape and not uniform, and stamina is a huge issue right now, but let's face it... it's still June and they had just finished an intense day of rehearsal. In terms of design, there was VERY little that I didn't like. The things that come immediately to mind are the drumline feature in Planet Damnation (I think) when the hornline doesn't move at all or does very minimal drill on Side 1 while the drumline is performing a sort of "fight for the throne" segment (very cool, btw). Same situation in the ballad in terms of movement. But I can easily look past it given the sheer difficulty of some of the drill.

Overall, if I'm being entirely honest, I don't think this version of the Crusaders will be challenging the top 5, but they are in a VERY good place, moreso than last year. People are going to eat this show up and it's definitely worthy of multiple listens/viewings. These guys are headed in the right direction and will be in a VERY good place come August. Great show, BAC!

Edit: I forgot to mention, Mid-range: HOLY ####! What a gorgeous sound!!!!!

Just for a quick reference point - how many of the "top 5" have you seen so far?

Helps to know to get a context on your intriguing critique.

Just for a quick reference point - how many of the "top 5" have you seen so far?

Helps to know to get a context on your intriguing critique.

Admittedly only via video, Cadets, Crown and Cavies, and audio Blue Devils. Like I said pretty early on in my post, I'm not used to seeing corps so early in the season. The earliest show I usually ever make it to is Bristol, and even then I usually end up missing that and go to Lawrence in August.

Way to early to tell.. All the corps this year are good, and have shows that if cleaned and developed to their potential are improved from last year. But if everyone around you gets better at the same rate, then ultimately you stay in the same place.

Its a fight to see who can develop the quickest. Just how I like drum corps.

I share the sentiment from many of friends teaching in corps this year, that this is shaping up to be one hell of a year for drum corps.

Edited by Glenn426

Performance run thru 8PM tonight in Quincy, buses leave on tour at 11:45PM - Eat Em Up Boston!

WOO HOO! Can't wait for BAC to join the tour! Good Luck and can't wait to see you in ATL in July!

Admittedly only via video, Cadets, Crown and Cavies, and audio Blue Devils. Like I said pretty early on in my post, I'm not used to seeing corps so early in the season. The earliest show I usually ever make it to is Bristol, and even then I usually end up missing that and go to Lawrence in August.

profile not filled in why. my view Best show in the past 10 years. not status quo like most over the past several years. It is time for change and i think Boston will be one of two corps that will be there.