Cadets '10 vs Suncoast '88

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but does anyone else think the Cadets 2010 show bears a lot of similarity to Suncoast Sound's 1988 show? (in terms of concept and theme?)

I'm not saying Cadets copied Suncoast by any means (the shows are very different); but it is definitely interesting to watch the two and make comparisons.

If you haven't seen Suncoast Sound's 1988 show, "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child", I'd highly recommend checking it out. People usually point to Star 93 as one of the weirdest shows of all time considering the time period, but Suncoast pulled this off 5 years earlier. Cadets 2010 just seems like an expansion on the idea that Suncoast's 1988 show was about.

So yeah, get on the fan network and check them out! :tongue:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont see any similarities...sorry.

G

Then I'll explain myself. :tongue:

Suncoast 1988 was about how children often imitate adults when they are younger, and vice versa. (one section of the show actually dealt with playing with toy soldiers)

I don't find the shows similar musically other than their contemporary feel, but thematically they just seem to go together like an original and a sequel.

or maybe I'm just crazy...

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but does anyone else think the Cadets 2010 show bears a lot of similarity to Suncoast Sound's 1988 show? (in terms of concept and theme?)

I'm not saying Cadets copied Suncoast by any means (the shows are very different); but it is definitely interesting to watch the two and make comparisons.

If you haven't seen Suncoast Sound's 1988 show, "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child", I'd highly recommend checking it out. People usually point to Star 93 as one of the weirdest shows of all time considering the time period, but Suncoast pulled this off 5 years earlier. Cadets 2010 just seems like an expansion on the idea that Suncoast's 1988 show was about.

So yeah, get on the fan network and check them out! :tongue:

I totally get what you're talking about and yes, Suncoast did it better. Man I wish that corps was still around.

Then I'll explain myself. :tongue:

Suncoast 1988 was about how children often imitate adults when they are younger, and vice versa. (one section of the show actually dealt with playing with toy soldiers)

I don't find the shows similar musically other than their contemporary feel, but thematically they just seem to go together like an original and a sequel.

or maybe I'm just crazy...

I sincerely dont see it but I am going to go watch 88 Suncoast and I am seeing the Cadets three times within the next ten days, I will see if I can draw a comparison.

Interesting.....

G

(88 Suncoast was dark, aggressive, Bombastic and very in your face, the concepts and the story, as potrayed by the guard doesnt seem to have the same feel as '10 Cadets.)

I don't see it either, but that's cool that you can find these relationships. I sort of understand what you're alluding to, but I just don't see it.

Am I imagining this, or didn't the Suncoast show have something to do with child abuse, which is part of what made it edgy and controversial? I remember being told that, but am not sure if it was true or not. It definitely ends on a dark note with menacing chords and the girl running off scared.

I've never seen Suncoast sound but I'll check it out on the FN.

You'll be doing yourself a favor...83's horn line was SMOKIN', 84's Vietnam show was a true marvel, 85's first-ever completely original horn book (The closer, Midnight in Miami....mmmmmmmmm), 86 was their highest placement and they were the only corps to beat BD anywhere at finals (taking field brass), 88 was ground-breaking....you can skip 87 (trust me....even MEMBERS don't care for it)...89 had some good moments, but it was a pale imitation of 85 (although the drum feature was cool.)

I've never seen Suncoast sound but I'll check it out on the FN.

Hmm, that may not help. You kinda had to be there, to focus all your attention on the right part of the field, if you know what I mean.

Cadets 10 has a single male dancer. Suncoast had a single female dancer, with incredible dancer's legs. Huge calves.

There's no comparison. :tongue: