2010: The "Year Of The Fan"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try and refocus instead: look outside of the G7 stuff, and let's generate ideas based on "the fan".

What kind of things does the activity need to do to be more fan-friendly? How can that be accomplished logistically, pedagogically and through the product itself?

Do we look to tweak judging first? Does the concept of "design" weight too heavily on the idiom?

Is it more entertaining to have outcomes uncertain by emphasis on cleanliness and execution? Or to have the same players in the same basic spots, but with a mandate to generate more "fan friendly" concepts?

These are all the first things that came to mind . . .I'm sure there are more that we can pose by putting on our "fan" cap, and leaving politics at the door a bit in the discussion.

I realize G7 casts a long shadow over the activity right now, but let's put that in it's place and focus on the entirety of the idiom instead.

Let's try and refocus instead: look outside of the G7 stuff, and let's generate ideas based on "the fan".

What kind of things does the activity need to do to be more fan-friendly? How can that be accomplished logistically, pedagogically and through the product itself?

Do we look to tweak judging first? Does the concept of "design" weight too heavily on the idiom?

Is it more entertaining to have outcomes uncertain by emphasis on cleanliness and execution? Or to have the same players in the same basic spots, but with a mandate to generate more "fan friendly" concepts?

These are all the first things that came to mind . . .I'm sure there are more that we can pose by putting on our "fan" cap, and leaving politics at the door a bit in the discussion.

I realize G7 casts a long shadow over the activity right now, but let's put that in it's place and focus on the entirety of the idiom instead.

It might be a good start to have DCI commission an outside marketing and management consulting firm to look at ways that the product can be improved upon in such a fashion that it will generate a little more popular appeal, and thus more financial revenues that can be generated. Drum Corps will always be a niche activity, but it doesn't have to be a niche activity that is the size of a thumbnail either. DCI could use an outsider to look at what it does from top to bottom... and with the fresh, objective eyes looking at this enterprise that only a 3rd party outsider can provide. That would be my 2 cents worth of a suggestion, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

It might be a good start to have DCI commission an outside marketing and management consulting firm to look at ways that the product can be improved upon in such a fashion that it will generate a little more popular appeal, and thus more financial revenues that can be generated. Drum Corps will always be a niche activity, but it doesn't have to be a niche activity that is the size of a thumbnail either. DCI could use an outsider to look at what it does from top to bottom... and with the fresh, objective eyes looking at this enterprise that only a 3rd party outsider can provide. That would be my 2 cents worth of a suggestion, anyway.

Good point, and I think this is what Cesario and Auditore are doing. DCI's proposal was heavy on getting feedback. And I, personally, don't think a true "outsider" would be able to give relevant suggestions. This is such a niche thing that it takes someone deeply aware of the history and progression of the activity to be able to give useful feedback, IMO.

Still focusing my other thoughts about the topic.

[garfield: logged in under kid's name while he reads...]

DCI cleared $200m last year by the skin of their teeth. Surveys and study's cost money and DCI doesn't have much in excess when they're paying out nearly 25% of the budget in corps fees.

I think trying to make things more fan friendly within the confines of the existing budet is mostly appropriate. I just can't see the mood being right to ask the corps to pony up by taking a cut just to find out what fans want. Many of the directors think they know what we'll want.

I'm sorry for being negative to you, but I'm finding it difficult to find ways to improve it.

As kid says: "It's pretty good the way it is now!"

bawker,

What exatly do you mean by "fan-friendly"? Interactive? Better parking? Cheaper ticket prices?

tweaking judging...one good thing WGi does at the lower levels is put more score emphasis on the how, not the what. This is something DCI could implement

• 2 weeks later...