Incomplete Shows

I suppose I would put myself in the camp that thinks its understandable if its not all quite done by the first weekend or so, but when its July and its still not all on the field, thats a little ridiculous.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, for everyone freaking out that SCV's show wasn't done, it is done now, it premiered at the Walnut show on the 3rd, and once you've seen that show live, you'll understand why they waited to get it onto the field. I haven't seen as much movement out of SCV in a while. It is completely insane. :worthy:

The closer is just people flying all over the field, and from what I've heard, they learned the closer last week, but were waiting to put it on the field until it wasn't a complete train wreck. :tongue:

This is one of those visual programs then once it gets clean, will be a beast to contend with.

And about corps not having finished products on the field, lots of it has to do when corps start rehearsals. Most of the West Coast Corps start in late May, sometimes early June. There's not really a way to get an entire show down on the field and have it be presentable by the first show. And it's not just Santa Clara that did it. PC did not have a closer at Stanford either, and I have a feeling other corps were the same way. So everyone can just calm down, and let this all pass. Learning shows is not as easy as it once was, it takes much more time to get it learned and polished.

Okay, for everyone freaking out that SCV's show wasn't done, it is done now, it premiered at the Walnut show on the 3rd, and once you've seen that show live, you'll understand why they waited to get it onto the field. I haven't seen as much movement out of SCV in a while. It is completely insane. :worthy:

The closer is just people flying all over the field, and from what I've heard, they learned the closer last week, but were waiting to put it on the field until it wasn't a complete train wreck. :tongue:

This is one of those visual programs then once it gets clean, will be a beast to contend with.

And about corps not having finished products on the field, lots of it has to do when corps start rehearsals. Most of the West Coast Corps start in late May, sometimes early June. There's not really a way to get an entire show down on the field and have it be presentable by the first show. And it's not just Santa Clara that did it. PC did not have a closer at Stanford either, and I have a feeling other corps were the same way. So everyone can just calm down, and let this all pass. Learning shows is not as easy as it once was, it takes much more time to get it learned and polished.

Maybe corps need to start the season with a little easier show and BUILD. No complete show, no complete paycheck. I told the boss the other day that the job I was working on was really difficult and that I wouldn't be able to do it for 8 hours a day until 4 weeks after I started it and then asked for full pay immediatly........ya, it didn't fly with him either.

Nah, this isn't cool. Incomplete shows in July is NOT ACCEPTABLE. The real drum & bugle corps season starts well ahead of July. It is their duty to be fielding the whole show by then. Man up, or get out.

Drillman gets it. How will a judge know it's not done? (Of course we all know...I get it) But the judge's job is to judge exactly what is in from of them. If they're left unfulfilled [complete show or not], then the GE number should be lower, regardless of the show's ending.

It's entirely possible for a corps to come out with a 10 second show, playing Mary Had a Little Lamb, play it perfectly/musically/emotionally, and win. The sheets say NOTHING about length of time. This assumes the judge is not using CI, however, because the judge wouldn't be thinking "Gee, this show is so short, and corps X's show is much longer and more difficult. I can't reward this short show." That kind of thinking is CI logic...

I would have sworn there's a 9 1/2 minute minimum. Or am I crazy??

I'm pretty sure there is a minimum time limit for shows, and a corresponding penalty

Like I said 9 /12 minutes Pretty sure

Timing penalties don't start until the first regional

So the Judges are playing along with the BS. I think Timing should be whole season. I know shows evolve but put 9 1/2 minutes on the field for the paying customer ! Geez

I hate bad analogies so much. DCP as a whole needs to work on its analogy skills

Can you direct us to these "bad analogies" and point out the flawed logic in them?

Edited by shostahoosier