Incomplete Shows

You realize the result would be simply tacking on an easy fake ending and claiming their design just fails to make time and they're alright with that for the time being, right? There's absolutely no way to know what the "finished" product is. Perhaps they just have a really short show. Perhaps mid-season, someone has a "change of heart" and decides to add more to the closer. Many shows aren't actually even complete by Finals night considering there's more the staff would like to add or change if they had the time. There's simply no way to monitor this. To the OP: How are you defining a "complete" show? Solely based on length?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is referred to as a "Soft Opening," and is very common. Weeks of Preview Performances, usually incomplete or in-progress, are presented prior to the Premiere date, and are ticketed at full-price.

Most professional-quality shows, from Broadway to Vegas, go through this preview period, even with months, and sometimes years, of preparation and development.

Oh really? So giving it a cute little name makes it better does it? It is NOT very common, there are FAR more complete shows hitting the field at first competitions in June than not. And I'm not talking about corps doing the version of their show in June that will be on the field in August, I'm just talking about 10 minutes of show on the field with drill and a complete closer. Guard work gets some leeway to get worked in. Soft opening, pfft, what a joke. Sounds like something completely unrelated to a drum corps show to me.

Oh really? So giving it a cute little name makes it better does it? It is NOT very common, there are FAR more complete shows hitting the field at first competitions in June than not. And I'm not talking about corps doing the version of their show in June that will be on the field in August, I'm just talking about 10 minutes of show on the field with drill and a complete closer. Guard work gets some leeway to get worked in. Soft opening, pfft, what a joke. Sounds like something completely unrelated to a drum corps show to me.

Actually, that's a great comparison. I'm not saying it's right and in this case, people know what they are paying for.

But how do you people honestly expect to know what a "complete" show is? The corps will just change the rhetoric so what you get IS the complete show (subject to change, of course!) There. Is. No. Way. To. Monitor. Or. Enforce. This.

You realize the result would be simply tacking on an easy fake ending and claiming their design just fails to make time and they're alright with that for the time being, right? There's absolutely no way to know what the "finished" product is. Perhaps they just have a really short show. Perhaps mid-season, someone has a "change of heart" and decides to add more to the closer. Many shows aren't actually even complete by Finals night considering there's more the staff would like to add or change if they had the time. There's simply no way to monitor this. To the OP: How are you defining a "complete" show? Solely based on length?

Bull ####. Tell me Blue Stars put an easy closer on the field just to get it done. They were cleaning a complete show by the 3rd week in June. There is simply no legitimate excuse.

Bull ####. Tell me Blue Stars put an easy closer on the field just to get it done. They were cleaning a complete show by the 3rd week in June. There is simply no legitimate excuse.

I'm not saying it can't be done. No where in there did I say it can't be done. Please read what I'm writing. And, btw, the Blue Stars show is not complete and will not be until Finals week. ;)

This is referred to as a "Soft Opening," and is very common. Weeks of Preview Performances, usually incomplete or in-progress, are presented prior to the Premiere date, and are ticketed at full-price.

Most professional-quality shows, from Broadway to Vegas, go through this preview period, even with months, and sometimes years, of preparation and development.

Big diiference obviously, is that these " soft openings" you refer to are marketed as such.

When was the last time you saw a DCI preview state......: " Come see the Soft Opening Santa Clara Vanguard with almost 80 % of their show complete !! "

Actually, that's a great comparison. I'm not saying it's right and in this case, people know what they are paying for.

But how do you people honestly expect to know what a "complete" show is? The corps will just change the rhetoric so what you get IS the complete show (subject to change, of course!) There. Is. No. Way. To. Monitor. Or. Enforce. This.

Drillman gets it. How will a judge know it's not done? (Of course we all know...I get it) But the judge's job is to judge exactly what is in from of them. If they're left unfulfilled [complete show or not], then the GE number should be lower, regardless of the show's ending.

It's entirely possible for a corps to come out with a 10 second show, playing Mary Had a Little Lamb, play it perfectly/musically/emotionally, and win. The sheets say NOTHING about length of time. This assumes the judge is not using CI, however, because the judge wouldn't be thinking "Gee, this show is so short, and corps X's show is much longer and more difficult. I can't reward this short show." That kind of thinking is CI logic...

True enough. And conversely, lots of fans now don't show up for pre July shows. As such, the Corps who don't have " complete shows " likewise probably don't know that they don't have " complete fans" at these shows either. The only ones that get screwed in this type of a deal are the sponsors with less and less fans in June shows, that's all.. But if they don't complain, then I dont see the problem. Half arse completed shows = half arse numbers of fans in the half arse filled stands with half the # of judges, many of them " B " list judges..Sounds ok to me, frankly, if the sponsors have no beef with it.

Edited by BRASSO

True enough. And conversely, lots of fans now don't show up for mid Jun shows. As such, the Corps who don't have " complete shows " likewise probably don't know that they don't have " complete fans" at these shows either. The only ones that get screwed in this type of a deal are the sponsors with less and less fans in June shows, that's all.. But if thet don't complain, then I dont see the problem. Half arse completed shows = half arse numbers of fans in the half arse filled stands with half the # of judges. Sounds about right to me, frankly.

Good point! I've noticed that a lot of fans who are either less familiar with the dynamics of the activity or have not marched before don't necessarily realize/care about the cleanliness/completeness of shows relative to the "final product." I try to avoid early-season shows because I know if I'm going to be able to afford a single show, I'd rather get a more clean, complete product. Before I marched, I would never have known this and always attended the nearest shows simply because I loved watching drum corps. I get the feeling that the stands won't hurt so much because of the targeted fan base - alumni who want to see their corps no matter where they are in the season, enthusiastic band kids who just want to see the epitome of marching music live, parents who just want to see their kid march, etc. will be there no matter what. The number of "in the know" fans is significantly less by comparison to those major groups, I think. You definitely lose those people, though, if an opportunity to see a show at a later date is possible.