Incomplete Shows

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Hopkins.

Hopkins who?

(Hey, the joke is a work in progress, and most of it's done. Hope you enjoyed it!)

I didn't. Can I have my money back?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one corps that has not put at least 9 minutes worth of a show on the field by July 1st.

Boston Crusaders. They had 0 minutes of their show on the field " by July 1st " one year in the early 90's.

( first show out that year for them was July 3nd, if I recall correctly..... sometime after July 1st anyway.... but it was a complete show they did go out with however ). I know what you are driving at, but you did ask the question assuming that every Corps has had a least 9 minutes of a show out by July 1st, but it has not always been the case with all World Class Corps.

Boston Crusaders. They had 0 minutes of their show on the field " by July 1st " one year in the early 90's.

( first show out that year for them was July 3nd, if I recall correctly..... sometime after July 1st anyway.... but it was a complete show they did go out with however ). I know what you are driving at, but you did ask the question assuming that every Corps has had a least 9 minutes of a show out by July 1st, but it has not always been the case with all World Class Corps.

Cascades didn't have their first show until July 3rd this year.

Who would go to a movie theater, pay full price of admission, and be content not to see the last 15 minutes of the movie? Okay, maybe if the movie stunk, but I digress... :)

Except that when you see a movie in the cinema, you're seeing the "DCI finals" version of that movie. Barring some sort of "director's cut" coming out on DVD later on, or an extremely rare "redux" version ("Apocalypse Now"), that's the only version you're going to see. Such is not the case with drum corps shows, which -- needless to say -- progress throughout the summer. I can understand not putting on a final number in the early season if it simply isn't ready for public consumption.

and of course the largest audience to witness a completed show is the last show done too.

Funny how this all works this way. But it makes sense. Small crowds in half completed shows.. larger crowds at complete shows at the end.

I agree with this 100%. To me the only reason Some Corps are putting incomplete shows on the field is because people are still paying full price to see these incomplete shows. Once people stop paying to see incomplete shows and or start demanding their money back from the Show sponsers. I have a feeling less and less Corps will have incomplete shows at the start of the season.

Could a show sponser get in trouble for false advertisment?

Dean

Cascades didn't have their first show until July 3rd this year.

There's been lots of Corps that did not have their 1st show by July 1st. I think Academy had their 1st show after July 1st a few years ago as another example.

Get over it and don't go to an early season show.

Which pretty much screws everyone in California...04 ToC and 07 DCI aside, we HAVE no late season shows out here...

Edited by 84BDsop

Could a show sponser get in trouble for false advertisment?

Dean

No. They didn't promise anything but that Corps appearance on the field for competition weather permitting.

Theoretically then ( and legally ), a Corps could start their show... then immediately stop... wave to the crowd, then immediately leave the field, get on their busses and leave. The Sponsor would be obligated to pay the Corps, and the Sponsor's obligation to the fans, ironically, would have been fulfilled. However, as a practical matter, no Corps would do such a thing.

Edited by BRASSO

One thing I will add, even though I don't mind an incomplete show, I do wish even if they don't have drill ready for their closer, they would perform the music standstill so we could hear it. You could even just have the colorguard stand in place and spin flags.

Which pretty much screws everyone in California...04 ToC and 07 DCI aside, we HAVE no late season shows out here...

You know what I mean, though.