Incomplete Shows

Oh hey it's this thread for the gazillionth year in a row.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boston Crusaders. They had 0 minutes of their show on the field " by July 1st " one year in the early 90's.

( first show out that year for them was July 3nd, if I recall correctly..... sometime after July 1st anyway.... but it was a complete show they did go out with however ). I know what you are driving at, but you did ask the question assuming that every Corps has had a least 9 minutes of a show out by July 1st, but it has not always been the case with all World Class Corps.

Which I might add always irritated me that "the powers that be" would always support a late season start...

You know what I mean, though.

Of course, but you made a blanket statement for everyone. Holding off on going to shows might work well in the East or Midwest, where you have late season shows, but not out West.

I was a good boy and read all of the posts before replying. I certainly didn't want to read an incomplete thread. :tongue:

Anyway, incomplete shows bug the crap out of me, though I have been involved with one. At that time I was a marching member, so it's not like I had a choice. And we were probably about 30 seconds shy, just a closing fanfare. We still made the minimum time for 1972 which was 11 1/2 minutes.

The thing that bugs me is that the staffs are well aware of their opening dates, and should plan accordingly. Maybe Colts were victims of unusual weather, but I don't recall hearing anything out of the ordinary for the Bay Area of California. With the alleged better talent in contemporary drum corps, why aren't these superstars capable of a 10 minute show by mid-June?

The other thing that my lovely bride and I don't get is why the guard silks and props aren't done? It's one thing to have to play catch-up on drill, movement and equipment for guard people coming in late from WGI. But why aren't the silks done? That's like having half your drums going out with no heads, or no mouthpieces for the mellos.

Garry in Vegas

Are there any corps left that actually do their "real" ending in June or July? Or use their "real" silks in June or July?

It's the practice of intentionally withholding for the purpose of stroking adjudicators egos by letting them give obvious input and then getting rewarded with the finals week "tenthing" game. Most staffs have these late additions in mind all season long. It's just helpful to allow the judges to think it was their ideas that improved the show.

Edited by denverjohn

Are there any corps left that actually do their "real" ending in June or July? Or use their "real" silks in June or July?

It's the practice of intentionally withholding for the purpose of stroking adjudicators egos by letting them give obvious input and then getting rewarded with the finals week "tenthing" game. Most staffs have these late additions in mind all season long. It's just helpful to allow the judges to think it was their ideas that improved the show.

There's a difference, however, between having the end of the show you intend at finals and not HAVING an ending in June. Sure shows are more intricate, but I would think early season fans would rather have a complete show -- upcoming changes irregardless -- than have a performance that clearly finishes with one musical chart left to go. If the drill's not done, park & bark the music...SCV did that at Riverside in 85.

It happens in Sr as well (although they have far less rehearsal time)...In 5 years in SoCal Dream, we only came out with a complete show once (2003....I won't count 02, since that was a standstill year). In 04 we performed the closer ONE TIME, at Prelims. In 05 and 06 we didn't get the ending until after the first few shows.

But for a corps that's rehearsing with the intensity of a Jr corps? Put a complete show on the field...don;t shirk the early season folks out of a few minutes of performance.

It is NOT very common, there are FAR more complete shows hitting the field at first competitions in June than not.

If this is true, than why are you getting so upset? If there are FAR more complete shows at first competitions in June, and incomplete shows early season is NOT very common, then why are you so vehemently complaining?

Relax, dude: it's bands on a football field...

One thing I will add, even though I don't mind an incomplete show, I do wish even if they don't have drill ready for their closer, they would perform the music standstill so we could hear it. You could even just have the colorguard stand in place and spin flags.

Actually the colorguard has the best "excuse" if you will....they just *started* learning their work during spring training. Imagine the brass coming into s.t. not knowing any of their music; i don't think we'd see very many complete shows in june (or july for that matter) if that were the case.

Train WHACK, You have obviously never had to put a 130+ page show on the field. if you don't like it.... don't go

Relax, dude: it's bands on a football field...

Which fans are paying good money to see...money that's harder to come by (the primary reason I may not see any shows this year)...if I scrape together the funds to see a show, I wanna see a complete program...I don't like paying for "Corpus Inturruptus."