Incomplete Shows

I guess there are two trains of thought on this matter, there are those that are extremely disappointed that there isn't a full show on the field. Then there are those of us that are just so excited to finally hear the music, and get an idea of what a corps show is going to be about. And the show you see in late June is probably going to be 75% different than the show you see in mid August. And it won't be anywhere near the level of performance in will be mid August.

But I have to say, if you are one of the ones complaining about imcomplete shows, but are also one of those that goes to youtube everyday to look for 30 second clips from a crappy camcorder of your favorite corps, then I am confused as to what you would be complaining about. Just enjoy late June drum corps for what it is, or just don't spend the money to attend the show.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one corps that has not put at least 9 minutes worth of a show on the field by July 1st.

Closest that I can remember is that 1987 Cadets had very little if any guard work for 1/2 of their show at that point but the did have drill and music.

I haven't timed it, but I remember 1999 SCV being woefully incomplete at the beginning of the season. I don't think they even played the end of their show as a standstill - in fact they didn't even finish playing the last piece they played. Of course they wound up doing quite well later that season (they won), but early season ticketholders such as myself certainly didn't get their money's worth from SCV. [Fortunately, that was also BD's "lights out" show, which, although not under optimal circumstances, gave one of the most memorable performances I've ever seen. They wound up doing quite well later that season too. :)]

If I go to an early season show, I fully expect to see a lower quality, dirty performance than what the corps will do in August. Duh.

I totally agree with you. Dirt is totally expected early on, and there is nothing wrong with mid-season rewrites, adding props later, and the like.

Who would go to a movie theater, pay full price of admission, and be content not to see the last 15 minutes of the movie? Okay, maybe if the movie stunk, but I digress... :)

If you're posting here, you know what going to an early show means. Fact. If you don't like what it means, don't pay the money to go. Plain and simple.

Amen! One would never pay to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway where the end was not presented. One would never go to see a concert of Beethoven's 9th symphony where the fourth movement wasn't played because it wasn't ready.

Drum Corps shows don't necessarily have a plot, so the equivalence is inexact. And Phantom surely had preview performances on Broadway before its official opening, where the ticket prices were lower and the press was not invited to attend and review, and probably what are called "out-of-town" performances before that, where the audience may very well not have been told that what they were seeing was a work in progress, in which the script might yet undergo significant changes, roles might be recast, and songs cut or added. There may very well have been early performances of Phantom without, say, "Music of the Night".

So I guess 1976 Scouts should have been DQ based on the general consensus on this thread.

They rewrote most if not all of their show mid to late season.

These are not professionals they are youth and as such their staff can manage their show as they see fit IMHO.

If you have problems with this then just don't go in June, July, or even early August.

I feel that it would be really great if we can just enjoy what each corps is trying to do and stop the gripes about matters like this.

They also performed the complete old 'disco' show in competition while learning the new show. And then pulled out of competitions ( no $$ coming in) for 2 weeks while they got the new show finished.

If you're posting here, you know what going to an early show means. Fact. If you don't like what it means, don't pay the money to go. Plain and simple.

Point made. And I believe that is exactly the point being made by the OP.

I (and apparently others) don't go to early season shows. The show sponsor doesn't sell me a ticket, nobody sells me tshirts or CDs, and they don't sell me any nachos or sodas. Problem solved?

The spirit of my posts is to encourage some semblance of finished product from each corps. I'd much rather see a finished show than to see some point penalty assessed or some corps not get paid. I know I'd start attending again if there was a commitment to the fans in this regard.

Drum Corps shows don't necessarily have a plot, so the equivalence is inexact. And Phantom surely had preview performances on Broadway before its official opening, where the ticket prices were lower and the press was not invited to attend and review, and probably what are called "out-of-town" performances before that, where the audience may very well not have been told that what they were seeing was a work in progress, in which the script might yet undergo significant changes, roles might be recast, and songs cut or added. There may very well have been early performances of Phantom without, say, "Music of the Night".

You're right, the equivalence is not exact. But you drew some great parallels. Any Broadway show may also have rewrites, get a new closer, get new wardrobe, get a new set, etc. But I'm sure some semblance of a complete storyline/performance is still presented.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Hopkins.

Hopkins who?

(Hey, the joke is a work in progress, and most of it's done. Hope you enjoyed it!)

QUOTE (Aaron Guidry @ Jul 4 2010, 12:41 PM) *

This is referred to as a "Soft Opening," and is very common. Weeks of Preview Performances, usually incomplete or in-progress, are presented prior to the Premiere date, and are ticketed at full-price.

Most professional-quality shows, from Broadway to Vegas, go through this preview period, even with months, and sometimes years, of preparation and development.

Big diiference obviously, is that these " soft openings" you refer to are marketed as such.

When was the last time you saw a DCI preview state......: " Come see the Soft Opening Santa Clara Vanguard with almost 80 % of their show complete !! "

Big diiference obviously, is that these " soft openings" you refer to are marketed as such.

When was the last time you saw a DCI preview state......: " Come see the Soft Opening Santa Clara Vanguard with almost 80 % of their show complete !! "

Though I agree with BRASSO about his marketing point, I would like to just add that IMO the expectations of the audience attending these shows is quite different than a Broadway performance. I don't think people live under rocks here in this genre. I see this same argument come up here every year. Well.. I for one...go to early June shows. I go to August shows. I don't feel any less satisfied in June most likely due to my expectations that June is just the beginning of every corps journey to greatness. It is many times laden with real GEMS that have been taken out of shows by finals. I actually also enjoy seeing many improvements made and sometimes for that matter am very disappointed with the poor choice of changes that were done by the staff over the course of a season for that matter. For example, maybe a line of music that was sick in June (at least I thought), but the staff watered it down a bit in finals to make it cleaner. I treasure these differences between early season and late and don't whine about mere completion.

Get over it and don't go to an early season show.