Top 12...Is It Already Set?

I would definitely put my money on the top 10. Anything 10 to 16 could be a fight. If Academy gets it clean, I'd put them ahead of Madison. If Colts pick it up, they could be ahead of Glassmen. Top 9 are also going to be a fight. I'm almost positive that the top 9-10 could be in the 90's. I've got a feeling it's going to be like 07, where about 4th through 9th could be within a point or two. VERY competitive year.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely put my money on the top 10. Anything 10 to 16 could be a fight. If Academy gets it clean, I'd put them ahead of Madison. If Colts pick it up, they could be ahead of Glassmen. Top 9 are also going to be a fight. I'm almost positive that the top 9-10 could be in the 90's. I've got a feeling it's going to be like 07, where about 4th through 9th could be within a point or two. VERY competitive year.

Agreed. I don't think the corps that sit 13-17 have enough- right now to take down the Scouts who currently sit in 12th. I do think that the Scouts will finish ahead of GMen in the end and wouldn't be surprised to see the Glassmen be overtaken by Troopers, or Academy in the end. As for those in the 6-10 range, I think we're going to see a battle. Whether it extnds all the way up to 6th or not? I don't know. West hasn't seen East and East hasn't seen West. I know this though- Boston is very very good again, Blue Stars are better than ever, SCV while maybe not the fan favorite this year is great as always and the Blue Knights are fielding the best corps they have had in a long time, maybe ever!! Each of these corps have no true weaknesses and if their shows need a bit more added to them to stay in the mix and move up, they have the cleanliness at this stage in the season to do it without disrupting what they have on the field currently. I do think that 1-12 is likely to be what it is now, but I do think that 12th will ultimately come into play in the end.

I say in the end:

11) Madison

12) Glassmen- If the Troopers can't clean their show

13) Troopers- 12th if they can clean it up

14) Academy- Also could clean and tweak and be in finals

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Any of these shows could stall. Any of these shows could surge. To say that it's over right now is a fallacy.

(For the sake of a summer of excitement, I hope it's not settled.)

Agree with you as well. Anything can happen, short of the Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets and Bluecoats falling out of finals. How the corps place from 6-17 is anyone's ballgame. I do believe that the scoring as set up right now is going to favor competitive groupings. Anyone who is 13-17 has some catching up to do, but we've seen surging corps as you suggest. We've seen it many times and there is certainly a lot of season to go!! Go BK, GO Troop, GO Crossmen, GO America- Happy fourth of July!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I know things can sure change, but do ya'll see any of the current Top 12 as listed below falling back and any of the corps in the 13th-17th range having something up their sleeve to break into the Top 12? There is a gap in scores between #12 and #13 right now and based on reviews, I'm don't see any of these current finalists falling out of a Saturday night performance.

Current Top 12 (no particular order)

Crown

Blue Devils

SCV

Boston

Blue Stars

Bluecoats

Cavaliers

Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Glassmen

Blue Knights

Madison Scouts

Outside the Top 12 Looking In

Spirit

Crossmen

Troopers

Academy

Colts

I would say it is definitely to early yet to know how things will shake out. I mentioned it before but one of my favorite shake ups was back in 2003. Going in to semi-finals Spirit was in 14th place......and they jumped Glassmen and Blue Knights to claim the all-important 12th spot. The crowd (Including myself) was so excited to see Spirit make it in to the Saturday night lineup......

Alot of people will tell you the top 12 were set before the first show in June. Others will argue that you can't compare scores across the board. Others will say that these scores so far mean nothing, as there isn't even a full judging panel. You will hear much about the head to head competition.

My guess is that 11 of the 12 are set as you have them. I think the only corps that could have a worry would be Glassmen. And the corps they would have to worry about.. the Colts. Colts were robbed last year by what should have been a 17th place Troopers. At this point I would not put Colts above Glassmen, however, I think their show might have a little more potential by August to improve than Glassmen. And to be honest, I have the feeling if they were even within a point of Glassmen at the end of the season, they would probably end up with that last finals spot.

Not sure where I stand on the Colts "should have/shouldn't have" made finals last year issue, but I guarantee you Troopers were no where near the 17th place corps, if they hadn't made finals they were a VERY solid 13th place for certain.

I think you've got Glassmen mixed up with Madison quite frankly. I look for Madison to peak 4th week in July and get passed up be (someone?) with a more ambitious show. We'll see.

I would say it is definitely to early yet to know how things will shake out. I mentioned it before but one of my favorite shake ups was back in 2003. Going in to semi-finals Spirit was in 14th place......and they jumped Glassmen and Blue Knights to claim the all-important 12th spot. The crowd (Including myself) was so excited to see Spirit make it in to the Saturday night lineup......

I saw them at East, told a couple of the members they had the ability to get ahead of some people if they wanted- that show was a darned nice show, and I frankly think because Spirit's been trying to be like everyone else instead of taking their own path that they've been lumped in with similar corps, take them or leave them, so they don't stand out as a corps on the threshold where a judge will say- yeah...they should be there... or.. eh.... so what?

That's what will make or break the bubble corps. It's why Troopers got in last season. The show inspired and entertained and set itself apart from the madding crowd.

Don't forget the Bottom 6 too!

Teal

Mandarines

Pacific Crest

Cascades

Pioneer

Surf

None of whom pose a threat for finals soooooooo......

Don't get me wrong....I'd LOVE to see that happen this year, especially if Spirit could pull it off again.

Personally, I think three of the corps on the outside looking in right now; Spirit, Academy, Colts; have a shot at making it happen. What I don't see though, is one of the current finalists falling off the wagon. Based on reviews, I think the only possible one is Glassmen...but they have such a strong guard that really helps their overall score.

Edited by chadwick

Don't get me wrong....I'd LOVE to see that happen this year, especially if Spirit could pull it off again.

Personally, I think three of the corps on the outside looking in right now; Spirit, Academy, Colts; have a shot at making it happen. What I don't see though, is one of the current finalists falling off the wagon. Based on reviews, I think the only possible one is Glassmen...but they have such a strong guard that really helps their overall score.

It is possible for the wheels to come off the wagon- several weeks to go, and there are a ton of intangibles people forget about. Making bad decisions about program changes, programs unable to get over a certain hump. Food poisoning. Physical casualties. Corps just getting tired or indifferent and the staff can't pull them out of their doldrums. It happens.

I know some of the gaps are large, but not insurmountable given a hard working corps and a good staff prepared to make good and smart changes, and an opponent who thinks the check is already in the mail because they're sitting 10th. The point difference will go quickly in that kind of scenario.