Top 12...Is It Already Set?

Don't get me wrong....I'd LOVE to see that happen this year, especially if Spirit could pull it off again.

Personally, I think three of the corps on the outside looking in right now; Spirit, Academy, Colts; have a shot at making it happen. What I don't see though, is one of the current finalists falling off the wagon. Based on reviews, I think the only possible one is Glassmen...but they have such a strong guard that really helps their overall score.

Why would you ever look to reviews to make that basis? Reviews are one of the worst and most biased places to get information. If you are going to look to anything at least look to the scores...but even those from show to show aren't worth much. Besides...if you went on reviews....Glassmen and most of the time Blue Knights would never make finals... yet...year after year....they do.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you ever look to reviews to make that basis? Reviews are one of the worst and most biased places to get information. If you are going to look to anything at least look to the scores...but even those from show to show aren't worth much. Besides...if you went on reviews....Glassmen and most of the time Blue Knights would never make finals... yet...year after year....they do.

Does that mean that because people like BK and Gmen this year they're likely gonna fall out??? :tongue::thumbup::ph34r:

Wes P

Understand your point, but I guess I mean the average reviews for Glassmen are that they are just 'okay' this year and have a stronger chance of being caught. I personally have not seen many shows other than what I've been able to find on y**t*** :tongue: .

Having said that though, and it has been said by many, the Glassmen are very consistent in making Finals so we'll see!

I'm sure that would make many a DCPer happy....they'd finally get it right after years and years of "calling" it! :thumbup:

My reaction if that starting happening would be :tongue: Ha ha ha

Wes P

My point is proven in my earlier post...nobody pays attention to Spirit (except me it seems).

Now the discussion is between Colts and Academy? Come on...with all due respect to those corps, I'd give Spirit the edge.

Unless something huge has changed at Academy, Colts or Spirit shouldn't be competing with Academy for any spot. I will agree that all 3 (and 4 including Troopers) have lots of work to do, but I still think people tend to overlook Spirit. Not saying they're gonna make Finals...but I don't see how anyone can count them out already!

I love the hatred for one corps thing and overzealous love for the others. The loyalty is commendable, but as a means of judging, I agree it's laughable. Base it on the performances you've seen - and if you haven't seen their shows yet - just hush, please. I have seen most of these shows (Thanks, Fan Network!) and I can't give a terribly confidient opinion this early in the season, especially with a lack of head-to-head and full judging panel matchups. But thoughts at this point....

I would say the Blue Devils are getting a little bit of unnecessary flack. I love how complex and abstract their show is - it seems like the hardest show to perform. Yes, they're playing an esoteric brass book, but this is something different from them. Sure, we want new blood to win, just don't count them out because a lot of us pharts are tired of the same old corps winning. If they earn it, they earn it, period. That being said, I can't say between BD, Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats, who will win this year. Don't count the Cavies out either. WOW - awesome GE. I will say the Bluecoats will not peak early and fall as much as any other corps would, despite what some of you say. I love the Cadets show. 11 1/2 minutes of fun. The Bluecoats drop a big bomb on play time with a serious, aggressive and powerful show. These guys have it all, especially with the most wicked percussion in the activity as of this point in the season.

SCV and Phantom may be stuck in the middle of the finalists pack, although portions of their shows are some of the best on the field this year. I look forward to seeing Boston's show. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Madison needs to change the ending of their show. Ten minutes of it is flat-out awesome. It deserves a monumental send-off in the last minute. It seems like they're setting up for something huge, and it just falls short. If you're going to put three trumpet soloists on scaffolding, they better be laying down some screams, and I know they can. I think the guys are either holding back a little at the end, or a bit tired. If they add some steroids in the last 60 seconds, there as good as finalists, possibly 10th. Otherwise, if they keep the show the same - they may be a corps to peak early, and I'll agree with others who say Colts, Troopers, Spirit or Academy could sneak in.

I have yet to see Crossmen.

Pacific Crest has a great shot at semifinals. They have a clean, entertaining show. Maybe not as difficult as your top tier corps, but executed really well.

Pioneer can potentially pass Teal Sound, Cascades (just guessing - haven't seen them) and Mandarins, if their other captions match the performance level of their hornline.

All in all, we drum corps fans should feel lucky we have such a level of talented corps to entertain us this year. There could easily be a 90+ finals in 2010.

I'm looking forward to the next 5 weeks.

Edited by radiosteele

My point is proven in my earlier post...nobody pays attention to Spirit (except me it seems).

Now the discussion is between Colts and Academy? Come on...with all due respect to those corps, I'd give Spirit the edge.

Unless something huge has changed at Academy, Colts or Spirit shouldn't be competing with Academy for any spot. I will agree that all 3 (and 4 including Troopers) have lots of work to do, but I still think people tend to overlook Spirit. Not saying they're gonna make Finals...but I don't see how anyone can count them out already!

It's not just you that thinks that, trust me! I agree with you!

I love the hatred for one corps thing and overzealous love for the others. The loyalty is commendable, but as a means of judging, I agree it's laughable. Base it on the performances you've seen - and if you haven't seen their shows yet - just hush, please. I have seen most of these shows (Thanks, Fan Network!) and I can't give a terribly confidient opinion this early in the season, especially with a lack of head-to-head and full judging panel matchups. But thoughts at this point....

I would say the Blue Devils are getting a little bit of unnecessary flack. I love how complex and abstract their show is - it seems like the hardest show to perform. Yes, they're playing an esoteric brass book, but this is something different from them. Sure, we want new blood to win, just don't count them out because a lot of us pharts are tired of the same old corps winning. If they earn it, they earn it, period. That being said, I can't say between BD, Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats, who will win this year. I will say the Bluecoats will not peak early and fall as much as any other corps would, despite what some of you say. I love the Cadets show. 11 1/2 minutes of fun. The Bluecoats drop a big bomb on play time with a serious, aggressive and powerful show. These guys have it all, especially with the most wicked percussion in the activity as of this point in the season.

SCV and Phantom may be stuck in the middle of the finalists pack, although portions of their shows are some of the best on the field this year. I look forward to seeing Boston's show. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Madison needs to change the ending of their show. Ten minutes of it is flat-out awesome. It deserves an monumental send-off in the last minute. It seems like their setting up for something huge, and it just falls short. If you're going to put three trumpet soloists on scaffolding, they better be laying down some screams, and I know they can. I think the guys are either holding back a little at the end, or a bit tired. If they add some steroids in the last 60 seconds, there as good as finalists, possibly 10th. Otherwise, if they keep the show the same - they may be a corps to peak early, and I'll agree with others who say Colts, Troopers, Spirit or Academy could sneak in.

I have yet to see Crossmen.

Pacific Crest has a great shot at semifinals. They have a clean, entertaining show. Maybe not as difficult as your top tier corps, but executed really well.

Pioneer can potentially pass Teal Sound, Cascades (just guessing - haven't seen them) and Mandarins, if their other captions match the performance level of their hornline.

All in all, we drum corps fans should feel lucky we have such a level of talented corps to entertain us this year. There could easily be a 90+ finals in 2010.

I'm looking forward to the next 5 weeks.

Well, your argument is legit...but considering you said "I love the hatred for one corps thing and overzealous love for the others", and you said you didn't hear anyone mention Crossmen (I didn't either), well...you didn't mention Spirit. I understand though, I'm not trying to be hard-headed or anything, but if we're going to try and figure out who gets placed where, at least give all the corps their chance...and everyone has potential!

Love Glassmen this season so much!! Hope that would make the final again this year. Two corps I would like to see make final this year would be The Academy and Madison.