Top 12...Is It Already Set?

Well, your argument is legit...but considering you said "I love the hatred for one corps thing and overzealous love for the others", and you said you didn't hear anyone mention Crossmen (I didn't either), well...you didn't mention Spirit. I understand though, I'm not trying to be hard-headed or anything, but if we're going to try and figure out who gets placed where, at least give all the corps their chance...and everyone has potential!

True that. So many corps, and not enough viewings. It's a lot to process! Anyone who knows me knows I don't have a home-gamers dissent of any competing corps.

Constructive criticism is a separate deal and unrelated to the respect for the kids and their staff. Attitudes like that do nothing to help the activity, which in my opinion, is far more entertaining than most professional sports could ever be.

Edited by radiosteele

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about the scores I have found interesting is the more shows the higher the scores especially for the 11-17 range. I think because of that no one better count out a corps that has marched fewer shows until another couple of weeks as the feedback and cleaning evens out some more. For instance Crossmen have marched 5 shows where Glassmen have marched 7. Glassmen had a big bump in scores the last two shows. Troopers have march 6 shows and stand 2.1 points ahead of Crossmen. Spirit have marched 6 shows, Colts have marched 6, Academy have marched 4, and Madison Scouts have marched 7. The point spread between 11 and 17 is 5.8 points with the number of shows differing by as much as two. I wonder how much of an impact the number of shows has at this point. As the season progresses this should even out. Also, I wonder if scores are impacted for the 11-17 group by who else is there? If someone marches against Crown, Phantom, SCV, etc. several times does this lower their scores for the 11-17 grouping as opposed to some of the 11-17 grouping that don't march against the top 5 consistently? Hmmmm.

All to say, and I'm a novice, I don't think you can rule any out at this point.

Edited by Frogman87

Not sure where I stand on the Colts "should have/shouldn't have" made finals last year issue, but I guarantee you Troopers were no where near the 17th place corps, if they hadn't made finals they were a VERY solid 13th place for certain.

I think you've got Glassmen mixed up with Madison quite frankly. I look for Madison to peak 4th week in July and get passed up be (someone?) with a more ambitious show. We'll see.

Last year, Colts were without a doubt the 12th place corps. Not even a question. Troopers were basically on the level of Spirit and Crossmen, with Madison and Academy much better than Troopers. But the whole storyline got them the 12th place gift. I mean seriously, just try watching the Troopers colorguard. Definitely the worst of any corps on the field last year. No difficutly, and they couldn't even keep a simple spin in time together. Also they definitely had the easiest brass book of any of the top 17 corps. It was well performed, but not really better than anyone else in semis. I think 15th probably should have gone to Spirit, 16th to Troopers and 17th to Crossmen. Had the Crossmen been a little cleaner, Troopers should have had the 17th place spot, and Crossmen 16th.

As far as Glassmen/Madison this year, I would definitely give the edge to Madison. Yes there are almost 6 weeks left in the season, but I think Madison has been picking up steam. There are a few weaknesses still in Scouts show, but there are some also in Glassmen. I think Madison has more to max out still though overall. And I just feel a complete attitude change from the corps this year. And I think the Madison arrangements are just spectacular this year. I never like Gershwin on the field, and yet the arrangements are just fantastic this year. It really brings out the talent in this corps. I also think this will put them above Blue Knighs for 10th place, and possibly even put them with Phantom and Boston for the 8-10 spots. I just don't see the Glassmen show competing on that kind of level. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I'll be the first to admit if they do.

Troopers were basically on the level of Spirit and Crossmen, with Madison and Academy much better than Troopers.

You could have easily stopped right there and made a salient point, even though I wouldn't agree with it.

But what follows....

But the whole storyline got them the 12th place gift. I mean seriously, just try watching the Troopers colorguard. Definitely the worst of any corps on the field last year. No difficutly, and they couldn't even keep a simple spin in time together. Also they definitely had the easiest brass book of any of the top 17 corps.

...is ridiculous. Humiliating and in no way constructive. This type of babble angers me and does nothing for the activity. Respect those kids, for God sakes.

Colts were robbed last year by what should have been a 17th place Troopers.

Real classy :tongue: and quite comical at the same time I might add :thumbup:

Does that mean that because people like BK and Gmen this year they're likely gonna fall out??? :tongue::thumbup::ph34r:

Wes P

just BK because Glassmen are still "boring" in the reviews. :whip:

You could have easily stopped right there and made a salient point, even though I wouldn't agree with it.

But what follows....

...is ridiculous. Humiliating and in no way constructive. This type of babble angers me and does nothing for the activity. Respect those kids, for God sakes.

I am not asking you to agree with me. I am simply stating what was more than obvious. I do respect all the kids marching, but I also state things exactly the way I see them. I wanted to see Troopers back in finals like everyone else. I thought it would have been a good thing. However, I think it needs to be earned, not happening just because everyone wants it to be that way. And unfortunately, Colts, Academy and Madison Scouts should have been several points ahead of Troopers. Spirit, Troopers, and Crossmen should have been very close in scores, with Spirit just edging out Troopers. Spirit had a little weaker show, but performed at a better level than Troopers. Spirit should have taken them in Music GE, Brass, Visual GE, Percussion, and Colorguard.

Unfortunately corps politics and storylines are the new way of judging. The last few years have been the worst. Troopers were the feel good story of 2009. Unfortunately at the expense of 4 corps that were much better than them.

just BK because Glassmen are still "boring" in the reviews. :tongue:

I still can't wrap my mind around BK being a fan favorite this year. Wrap your mind around this..... Funny as it sounds those that have been following the corps from the West tour tend to put BK in 10th or higher, but those that have been following the East seem to have the Glassmen and Scouts higher and in some cases BK out of finals. Not going to say it's not possible, but I think the peeps in the East and Midwest are going to be amazed when BK come to town! They've been getting the largest standing O's at any show this year on the West Coast Tour regardless of who else is there and even got a roaring standing O when they entered the stadium a few days ago. Definitely a different buzz to BK this year. Excited to see all the corps here in San Antonio. Never found Glassmen boring during he Gold years or now. I have to utmost respect for them and their style and appreciate them. Glassmen '98 one of my favorite drum corps shows of any year. Go America= Happy 4th of July!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I am not asking you to agree with me. I am simply stating what was more than obvious. I do respect all the kids marching, but I also state things exactly the way I see them. I wanted to see Troopers back in finals like everyone else. I thought it would have been a good thing. However, I think it needs to be earned, not happening just because everyone wants it to be that way. And unfortunately, Colts, Academy and Madison Scouts should have been several points ahead of Troopers. Spirit, Troopers, and Crossmen should have been very close in scores, with Spirit just edging out Troopers. Spirit had a little weaker show, but performed at a better level than Troopers. Spirit should have taken them in Music GE, Brass, Visual GE, Percussion, and Colorguard.

Unfortunately corps politics and storylines are the new way of judging. The last few years have been the worst. Troopers were the feel good story of 2009. Unfortunately at the expense of 4 corps that were much better than them.

Saw the Troopers and Colts a few times last summer live and two things struck me....1) Colts had an amazing hornline and a good show and concept but had a much easier visual package than Troop and 2) The Troopers had just as good a hornline and a better drumline. They had a great show concept with a harder drill and very creative music arrangements. I liked the Colts last year and the Troopers and my thoughts the times I saw them both was.... The Troopers were better. Maybe not by alot, but they deserved to be in finals and that's why they made it. I understand if you really thought the Colts deserved to be in Finals, but the judges on the field did not. They had Troopers above Colts for a good majority of the final part of the season and that's because the Troopers were executing at a finalist level. The guard being not as good as others is only one element and as long as they were close to the placement of the corps that one caption was not going to hurt the corps. 2009 was not a conspiracy and is over. It's 2010, lets focus on that! Colts, Troop and many others have opportunity to acheive this summer and that's where we are right now!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Good discussions.

I would like to remind those who are viewing scores when looking at how these corps are lining up that only the west has had full judging panels thus far.

As such it the current scoring under different adjudication does complicate the entire comparison of where corps might end up.

I'd like to hope that this year will be a very competitive down to the wire finish for both a finals spot and for the title.