Carolina Crown getting a little sloppy...

I'm okay with it. Some parades are stop and go, why stand at attention or mark time when stoppped? Play a little something instead and interact. This only works for Crown because the rest of the units are displaying standard parade etiquite. If every group started meandering while playing....well it wouldn't be a parade.

Oh yea, let's not forget what the parade is PRIMARILY about in the first place. It's not about representing DCI to the masses, it's not about having fun on an "off competition" day, it is not about entertaining drunks. It is about showing patriotism towards our great country and respecting those who have sacrificed serving the nation.

That being said, personally I would love it if Crown tightened up the marching ranks a bit when moving so they resemble a cohesive unit. Keep the entertainment factor when playing though...works for me on some level.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A previous poster said "You don't turn it on and off. It's on all the time on and off the field"

I am of the opinion that champions are the ones who can "flip the switch." That know when its time to do business and get to it.

I can't hate on Crown for this. They are kicking ### on the field and are making the general know-nothing-about-drum-corps parade spectator LOVE them. How can mass appeal be bad for DCI? If the general public was in love with the all-military all the time approach we would have been FAR more popular.

That picture with the child playing trumpet is PRICELESS and should be in every promo they can get it in. :-D More people at that parade will define "class" as that member of their sop line taking time to make a child's day than the lack of military baring. If I were that Crown boy's momma that would already be framed on my wall. :-D

To the average Joe Crown showed up and ripped their face off.

Good job, Crown.

Agree 1000% !!!

Well if this is a problem (even though its only ONE day out of the whole season) Why do people not go on about what the Cavaliers do during Retreat on Finals night

Well, what they did on Finals night was also only ONE day out of the whole season...?

A previous poster said "You don't turn it on and off. It's on all the time on and off the field"

I am of the opinion that champions are the ones who can "flip the switch." That know when its time to do business and get to it.

I can't hate on Crown for this. They are kicking ### on the field and are making the general know-nothing-about-drum-corps parade spectator LOVE them. How can mass appeal be bad for DCI? If the general public was in love with the all-military all the time approach we would have been FAR more popular.

That picture with the child playing trumpet is PRICELESS and should be in every promo they can get it in. :-D More people at that parade will define "class" as that member of their sop line taking time to make a child's day than the lack of military baring. If I were that Crown boy's momma that would already be framed on my wall. :-D

To the average Joe Crown showed up and ripped their face off.

Good job, Crown.

This.

I'm okay with it. Some parades are stop and go, why stand at attention or mark time when stoppped? Play a little something instead and interact. This only works for Crown because the rest of the units are displaying standard parade etiquite. If every group started meandering while playing....well it wouldn't be a parade.

Some corps do play for the crowd during long breaks. Crowd loves it and keeps the corps loose. Also some corps allow members to talk to the people along the route. Good publicity for the corps and keeps the corps from looking like stuck up ####s.

Anyone doing the Baltimore parades can attest to the crowd reaction. Nothing like an audience memebr asking if you want a beer cuz "You look hot.....".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Also, this.

:thumbdown:

So, ultimately drum corps is viewed by an "Average Jane" in an EXTREMELY positive light and the drum corps fan-base grows! Save the letters of outrage for something that matters.