Why Blue Devils Win

I'm just gonna say "lol" @ you saying the Blue Devils don't teach and the members don't get anything out of it except "performance." Maybe I should contact someone I know who has marched BD and ask them if they never experienced anything but performance.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again a whole stadium of people booooooing! A lot of fans felt this way uh?

Again, not only do a lot of fans also like the show, but "personal taste" isn't a caption on the sheets. Effective and innovative visual & musical content and execution are and like BD or not you can't deny that their show has those requirements in spades. Anyone who thinks Cadets were cleaner than Blue Devils in Denver is either wrong, blind/deaf, or letting personal bias cloud their judgement. And for what it's worth, I think Cadets are WAY more entertaining, and I like their show more than any of their shows in a long time. But Cadets are pretty far apart from BD in show design/effectiveness (especially visually) as well as execution and wether you or others personally like the show or not is irrelevant to competitive evaluation.

Is it really that hard of a concept to grasp? The cleanest corps with the best show design wins, regardless of audience appeal.

Champions in most Major League activities win objectively (most runs scored, first across the finish line, fastest time on the track,) but not in DCI. In DCI, a panel of judges subjectively, based on nothing more than their opinion, according to their interpretation of the judging sheets, typically score Blue Devils higher more often than they do other corps. That is why Devils win so much; it has nothing to do with them winning by any objective means; it is all subjective! That is why although I enjoy the competative aspect of DCI, I really do not care who wins Brass, who wins Guard, who wins Percussion, and who wins Overall. Given a different set of judges on the panel, different corps would score differently; that is a fact!

?????????????????????? Answer my question....don't spin it! The whole stadium didn't like the spread, the scores , whatever....they booood! Is every fan that boo'd wrong? They were'nt at home either!

What's not to understand?!

THE. SHOW. DOES. NOT. HAVE. TO. BE. ENJOYABLE. TO. WIN.

Seriously, entertainment really isn't part of GE. It just matters if they played better and marched cleaner. And they did.

Sorry if you didn't see that, but anyone who saw them live last year with two functional ears and eyes saw it clearly.

And the people who booed were wrong. They were classless idiots.

Edited by megadrive

This is not true of everyone.

I don't like BD's show because I don't like BD's show. Not because I somehow dislike BD (I don't dislike BD, for the record. Not one bit). This show, performed by any other corps, would elicit the same reaction from me regardless.

Perhaps I'm special in my ability to separate the product from the performing ensemble...but I doubt it.

If it was someone else doing that show at the same intensity, they would have NEVER scored an 88 last night! POLITICAL!!! WGI, DCI HS marching bands....all the same Politics!!!!!!!!

?????????????????????? Answer my question....don't spin it! The whole stadium didn't like the spread, the scores , whatever....they booood! Is every fan that boo'd wrong? They were'nt at home either!

How's this for an answer to your question:

Yes, if fans boo'd based solely on execution and effective show design, and thought that Cadets were superior or either (or both) accounts, then the crowd was flat out wrong. If fans boo'd because they liked Cadets better and were hoping for a closer spread but disappointed that their personal favorite corps got convincingly beaten by a show they didn't personally like as much/if at all, then they were wrong for boo'ing because boo'ing at drum corps shows is classless, wrong, oafish, and a ton of other adjectives I'm too lazy to type. But really, who cares about personal taste: it's certainly no where to be found on the sheets. At Denver it is undeniable that Blue Devils performed superior to Cadets on every level

Edited by perc2100

I'm just gonna say "lol" @ you saying the Blue Devils don't teach and the members don't get anything out of it except "performance." Maybe I should contact someone I know who has marched BD and ask them if they never experienced anything but performance.

You must've missed my post...

Blue Devils don't win because they have a better show. If you are wondering what it is the judges see that you don't see, you can stop wondering. There aren't any subtleties in their show that you are missing. The judges see exactly what you see.

What you are missing is the fact that the show is not "the show". The details of the music and drill are largely irrelevant. They could do 8x8's and play Come to Jesus in whole notes. It wouldn't matter. The real show is the performers themselves. It's not what they do, but the way they do it.

I understand what you're getting at here but you're wrong. If any of this were true then NO ONE ELSE would have ever won.

Blue Devils should just be automatically given the championship trophy every year and they should be declared the "most awsomest drum corps gods" and the contest is now to see who gets to be 2nd.

Why do they win? They are an incredible program - consistently - year after year. It's gotta be hard to be the judge who says... "hey - the drill and the notes DO matter - regardless of how NEAT it looks at times. It's just smoke and *gulp* mirrors." There are a few other corps EVERY year who are INCONSISTENTLY incredible. That's why other people win sometimes.

There are many corps who will be good enough to win the title this year. Blue Devils are one of them.

The notes and the drill DO matter. When they don't matter we should ALL walk out.

Yes. Every "fan" who boo-ed IS wrong.