Why Blue Devils Win

Are you going to deny that BD cut 2 sops at the beginning of second tour in 83?

Are you going to deny that BD sent other members to recruit lead sops from Madison to fill those holes?

Just try.

Sounds like a challenge that's unknowable.

We did not cut 2 sops in 83. One sop was let go.

As far as sending members to recruit lead sops? What do you mean? Did BD fly members to Madison, have them run over to the buses during tour? I don't understand.

and.....I'll venture to say, the answer is NO!

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think the OP was making pretty much the opposite point. I think he was saying that clean wins, period. Not "clean + best design", not "clean + artistically pleasing", not "clean + fan favorite"--just "clean".

I think clean is just part of the equation. There's also the energy, confidence, and overall professionalism. Like someone else said, they're so smooth you hardly notice the mistakes.

Also, I don't think it's a matter of designing to the sheets. The sheets are pretty vague, at least the ones I've seen. I think it's a matter of getting the judges to respond on a visceral level to the quality of what you're doing. It's just that judges respond differently than audiences.

As I stated originally, this is just my opinion. If people think it's boring or obvious, that's fine. If people want to call into question my knowledge of BD's inner workings - sorry I'm just not interested.

It's funny, I can recall many of these same comments about BD at least here in the East back in the 70's. They were such a machine they made it look so easy. Fans of corps like 2-7, North Star, Garfield and Bayonne used to complain about how dry BD seemed to them (me too! as a big 2-7 fan) but they were just do darn good they were tough to beat.

I 'd say the analogy with Star 93 works MUCH better, however.

BD 2010 was booed.... apparently so wasn't 93 Star too ( although this poster did not personally hear it in Jackson, Miss. after their Finals Performance from the 25 yard line, right side, midway )

People say they are bored with BD 2010....not fan friendly. That the show is weird... the music played unappealing. Same things were said about Star 93.

People all admitted that Star 93 was talented and clean as a whistle, but didn't want this to become the future of Drum Corps. This is also what we are hearing about BD 2010.

There were rumors floating about during the summer of '93 that at the end of 1993 season that Star of Indiana would be leaving DCI. There is similar rumors afloat that BD could take that path at the end of this year as well.

Most people in 1993 did not want Star of Indiana to win it all in 1993. There was a lot of jealousy that the Corps had lots of money. Few fans apparently are pulling for BD to win this year as well, and we often hear of the money aspect advantages they have. This is likewise quite similar.

Some fans in 1993 said how much they enjoyed earlier editions of Star's shows over the 1993's show. The same thing is often said of BD now... that fans enjoy earlier BD shows and that current BD shows are played for the judges, not the fans.

But of course the biggest tie to Star 93 is the booing of BD 2010. Back in the 70's, nobody that I'm aware of booed the Blue Devils anywhere in the country.

Edited by BRASSO

Some fans in 1993 said how much they enjoyed earlier editions of Star's shows over the 1993's show. The same thing is often said of BD now... that fans enjoy earlier BD shows and that current BD shows are played for the judges, not the fans.

Except that they got booed in 91 and 92, too.

92, in particular, was an honest attempt to make people like them more (this from a highly placed member of the staff, in fact). So much for that.

And BD has attempted to go for more "fan friendly" stuff over the years, but still there's a large "chip on shoulder" contingent that would never accept *any* BD show as something to love the way they're willing to do with say Madison or Phantom or even SCV.

Funny, when you come right down to it, those are the "underdog" corps who don't win much but manage to score a title or two now and then...as opposed to a machine that wins all the time. :tongue:

EDIT: Vanguard is sort of a special case. They definitely WERE a force to be reconed with during the first half of DCI history, and won a LOT. But almost from the beginning they existed in the shadow of a more intimidating Blue Devils program and later, Garfield too. They got a lot of sympathy votes contenting with those two juggernauts.

Edited by WestCoaster

. If people want to call into question my knowledge of BD's inner workings - sorry I'm just not interested.

No problem. If you didn' t march BD, this poster's" not interested "in your comments re. BD's " inner workings" either.

That said, feel free to chime in any time wth your thoughts on what you see and hear from their competition performances.

Edited by BRASSO

If people want to call into question my knowledge of BD's inner workings - sorry I'm just not interested.

Then maybe you shouldn't make the claim that you know what happened when you weren't there....and 2 people who WERE refuted you with the same facts.

I don't make any claim about Garfield 84 (aside from what people who DID marched there and then have told me in the course of swapping stories)...hell, I couldn't even tell you the inner working of BD the year I marched....it wasn't something I was concerned with...I had a show to learn.

But hey....if you want to pontificate on something you weren't involved in....

wow, an entire thread dedicated to hating the blue devils. How original. Let's see... I hate the LA Lakers. Why does the NBA allow them to win? Clearly, only the home court advantage is why they won this year. I think that I will go now and cry my eyes out. Hard to believe that the powers that be did not just remove this thread completely. But I really do hate the Lakers.

While I am at it. I hate Spain. The world cup was fixed and anyone that knows soccer knows that the officials chose the winner. Come to think of it, I hate the Yankees as well. They have too much money. And those lousy Chinese are cheating at diving in the Olympics.

Sound kind of silly? :tongue:

wow, an entire thread dedicated to hating the blue devils. How original. Let's see... I hate the LA Lakers. Why does the NBA allow them to win? Clearly, only the home court advantage is why they won this year. I think that I will go now and cry my eyes out. Hard to believe that the powers that be did not just remove this thread completely. But I really do hate the Lakers.

While I am at it. I hate Spain. The world cup was fixed and anyone that knows soccer knows that the officials chose the winner. Come to think of it, I hate the Yankees as well. They have too much money. And those lousy Chinese are cheating at diving in the Olympics.

The only problem with this entire post is that again, someone is trying to compare drum corps to sports. One objective activity compared to a subjective activity. Can't be done, sorry to burst your bubble.

Know that BD is well-accustomed to all of this. Even people manufacturing scandals to make us look bad

like some posts in this thread. And the Cadets certainly have taken their share of the heat over the

years, as have the Cavies in recent times.

Lest anyone think this is new, consider that the term "anyone but the Blue Devils" was coined in the '70s.

Yawn.

I remember when you go to a drum corps show and if there is something you don't like just don't clap as hard or not at all. People would not even think of making remarks under their breath let alone yelling boo! WTF is that? These people need a serious F'n slap in the head!

These 50 page pissing contests are a total mind screw I'll tell ya. :tongue: