Why Blue Devils Win

Well said, Bawker. Probably as good as it can be said concerning the subject of "taste". But you failed to answer my fundamental question..."why do so many want to change BD?" There are 22 other corps (some with mad skills) that could fit the bill and then you just would enjoy the difference, in fact as the french say.."long live the difference". What Jeff and others are asking is like waiting outside the nightclub for Charlie Parker or Monk to come out following their set, confront them and say, "man, I really loved some of your early stuff...please go back to that so that I can enjoy you again! Play what I know, play what I like, please!" If that doesn't sound right to you...then you get it. If that's something you would be comfortable saying...then you don't.

Because BD is a #### good corps. Why wouldn't you want to connect with their show?!!?

And if you read back, Jeff specifically said he (and I'd guess most others as well) aren't wishing they'd go back to Channel One. Just go back to connecting with us.

"Well it is connecting with people." Yeah, it is. Just not those on here who are complaining about it. It's a matter of taste. And in that respect, Bawker DID answer your question.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I rambled on a bit with my answer above. Oops. :tongue:

I meant to say, in so many words, that people are selfish in their own subjective ideas of what creates that "connection". . .and that's why people want to seemingly change BD (or Glassmen, or Spirit, or Academy, etc) to something to more closely aligns with what has created those emotional/cerebral/aesthetic pathways before for them.

I don't think it's always wanting a step backwards to older shows or standards (as you indicate) so much as it might be a "sidestep" to other avenues of artistic expression:

Example: 2006 was very direct in its presentation: "Here's the Godfather." The main theme was presented enough times to pretty much grab anyone who is a causal fan of film or music (or of pop culture, really) to supplement the rest of the show that deviated from that main theme somewhat.

Result: pretty much everyone was a fan of the show that year.

The Cavaliers also did a good job with this sort of thing in 2004 . . .the Bond theme is easy to find . . . the rest of the source material might not be familiar enough to the viewer . . .but you stay engaged because it's easy for anyone from six to eighty-six to get: 007.

Result: everyone digs the show, and it even wins a championship.

I don't mean that BD doesn't do that this year. . .but the framing device they use: "La Suerte", is a little shaky when it comes to getting that buy-in from the average fan. It assumes that you know the Kenton standard as the front piece and the end cap, and then asks you to take a ride through stuff even Kenton thought was hard to "get".

As far as looking forward: there are tons of places BD can go and break new ground, take the "fans" along and still remain a deadly competitor . . . I'd suggest something like an anime show next year (someone listen to the "Macross Plus" soundtrack and tell me there's not a BD show there, especially with electronics legal now).

There's buy in from a younger demographic, the visual possibilities are endless . . .and people like Yoko Kanno write amazing jazz that Downey and Glyde could have a ton of fun with.

I dunno. Or maybe an anime show would fall on its face.

I am familiar with 1991 BD and Kenton in general, so I have an "in" to this years show . . .but I don't discount those that don't get BD lately and do want a change. It's selfishness for all of us mostly, but it comes from a good place . . .people who love our activity that just like to enjoy the ride and want another show that fits into their own subjective comfort level.

Couldn't agree more. And that's precisely why there are 23 corps in WC. As interesting as it is to talk on DCP about this stuff (and I must say, it's very interesting and entertaining, in a good way :tongue: ) we seem obsessed with "fixin' BD". How about we just say that there are 23 nightclubs on the strip, each with their own entertainment, my guess it that the one with BD as the entertainment will have no problem pulling in the crowd. Perhaps not the most crowd, but SRO for sure!

Because BD is a #### good corps. Why wouldn't you want to connect with their show?!!?

And if you read back, Jeff specifically said he (and I'd guess most others as well) aren't wishing they'd go back to Channel One. Just go back to connecting with us.

"Well it is connecting with people." Yeah, it is. Just not those on here who are complaining about it. It's a matter of taste. And in that respect, Bawker DID answer your question.

So you're saying that you would walk up to Charlie Parker and tell him to quit playing his new style or interests and play what you like. Just wanted to make sure I heard that correctly.

Bottom line: BD don't need fixin'. And yes, they are a #### good corps.

So you're saying that you would walk up to Charlie Parker and tell him to quit playing his new style or interests and play what you like. Just wanted to make sure I heard that correctly.

Uh, no. You didn't...

I'm not walking up to any artist or group to tell them what they should or should not do.

Barenaked Ladies are one of my favorite bands ever. Their latest album is not my cup of tea. Am I going to call them up and say, "Hey! This album is crap! Go back to your older style!" Nope.

Doesn't mean I have to like the new album. Doesn't mean I now hate BNL. Doesnt mean that I can't hope they entertain me once again.

Just means I am a critical fan. I like what I like.

And lately, BD has put out some albums I don't like as much as others.

In general terms, that's exactly what *did* happen to Stan Kenton after City of Glass was released.

(And no arguments from me about BD's quality - I think folks are just having trouble with the song selection.)

Mike

What happened to Kenton after "Glass"...I'm guessing he went back toward what would engage people...and keep them engaged. To survive, he had to sell records and bookings.

I don't know whether "Glass" was a commercial hit or not...but my guess is that it turned off a great many people. That's probably why BD is only playing a small bit of music from that album...the rest is more accessible...

I imagine a TON of people around here would've been furious with Miles Davis the last thirty or so years. It seems that any serious artist goes through MUCH growth/change as they explore other aspects of their art. I LOVE #####'s Brew just as much as Birth of the Cool, though for drastically different reasons. Similarly I like Blue Devils 2010 program about as much as their 1976 program, that for drastically different reasons. I agree that Blue Devils don't need "fixing" in any way, and as a drum corps fan I appreciate their design growth, even as other competitors are reusing music and visual programs from decades ago in an attempt to hold on to or rediscover their glory years.

What happened to Kenton after "Glass"...I'm guessing he went back toward what would engage people...and keep them engaged. To survive, he had to sell records and bookings.

I don't know whether "Glass" was a commercial hit or not...but my guess is that it turned off a great many people. That's probably why BD is only playing a small bit of music from that album...the rest is more accessible...

While Kenton did sometimes pander to his audience and often delivered crowd pleasers, he was the consummate artist to the end, always experimenting with new instruments, orchestra configurations, and of course music styles. It's not like he put out one "weird" album (note: not my word), and then thought, "wow I guess that's not wildly popular. I guess I'll just focus on playing some West Side Story suites to keep the mainstream audience happy."

I don't think most people on here were wild about The Canyon before SCV did it in 99, and I don't think it's ever been incredibly popular even among general symphony-going audiences. It seemed to strike accord for DCI audiences, though.

Introducing new music on the field rarely meets with universal (or even near-universal ) acclaim. It's just taste. I've noticed a lot of people I know who tend to dislike BD are actually digging their show this year both musically and visually. It's interesting to hear from them and also from mindful critics of the show. Unfortunately, there are so many trolls who take any and every opportunity possible to slam BD, mindful criticism is often lumped in with that. It's a shame that a few jerks end up dictating discussion, but that's just the way it goes, I guess.

For people who don't care for BD's music this year, I think there's a chance they'll be happy with what happens to BD with music ge scores this year. It's looking pretty vulnerable compared to all of their other captions.