State of drum corps manifesto

No 1983? 1984? I mean those two shows may have single handedly changed the activity forever...

DW

I love 83 and 84, too. And 82 and 87.

There really isn't a year from 1976 to present (well, other than 2001-2002) that I can't find a bunch of shows to love for different reasons.

This year, I'm lucky, because there are about 8-9 shows out there that I dig. Synth strings KILL ME in a few of the shows, as does the cadets giggling baby thing, but that's 1% that I just try not to focus on too much. My line for enjoyment is just in a different place from yours....we'll see when they cross my line. When they do, I'll withdraw my financial support (because that's the most powerful thing I can do) and probably won't post anymore on here...well maybe in the historical forum.

No matter how much I've gotten on you about a few things you've said, I think you're an outstanding person and dci will be worse off without you. Just want to point that out.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standing O's aren't really the culture anymore, though. Once upon a time there was a nice long gap between each number, giving fans plenty of time to stand up and cheer. Now the shows are created as one product and designed to carry momentum throughout. DCI events are as much concerts as they are sporting events. I think there have been moments in every contest I've attended where I have wanted to stand up or cheer, but I felt it would be rude to the people around me. Even if I'm totally jazzed by a show, I rarely stand up before the finish (Phantom 2008 comes to mind as an exception, everyone was standing from the moment Will Pitts was "speared" to the end). I think this is actually a perfect example of things being neither better nor worse, just different.

OK, let's forget the G7 for a second. George Hopkins is considered a "leader" in this activity right? Wasn't he who changed his model two years ago to put more emphasis on crowd reaction in his show design? Wasn't it he who made several posts on his blog during the '09 season that he was measuring fan response by standing-o's? Rhetorical question, it's a fact. So standing-O's, at least in the mind of this "leader" were still a good measure of fan enthusiasm.

I don't know when INT was scheduled, was it in the middle of the line-up? If so, then your office mates saw a senior corps perform its first show in the first year it ever toured, an Open Class corps that formed in 2006, a corps in its very first year in World Class, and the Madison Scouts. Without intending any offense I'd claim that the first three are not really the best entertainment that drum corps has to offer. As for the Madison Scouts, well if they weren't enough to keep your friend entertained than that doesn't say much for the retro approach that so many old-schoolers are touting. I know this subject came up in the G7 discussions, with regard to the way DCI shows start off slow and build to the headliners, but I have to wonder if your friends might have stayed if their first impression had been the Bluecoats or the Cavaliers or Crown.

Of course I totally agree with all of this, and I even spoke directly with each of them before the show to tell them that the first few corps are "different" from the rest and the good shows are after INT. (Yes, INT was mid-show between 4th and 5th).

I could go to them now and say "You should have stayed...." but what's the point now? I wish they'd stayed. They're obviously glad they didn't.

I agree with many of the poster's observations and feelings.....

I have done this activity for 35 years, and am a music educator....

Back "in the day", the top 12 corps and beyond had musical arrangements that would be labeled from good to outstanding.......at least 6 every year would be labeled as having outstanding arrangements......now, I think you can look and say that 3/4 of the top 23 corps have arrangements that would be labeled in the fair-poor range. I am not talking at all about the performance level, but the arrangements themselves. The good news is there are still some good books being played....this year, I would say that the Cadets, Blue Knights, and Madison all have excellently arranged books that connect with the audience.

Arrangers, again "in the day", would take a show and say "here are the 4 places we want to bring the audience to their feet". They were usually successful. If it wasn't happening, they would alter or even totally rewrite to make it happen. Today, I don't think the concern is there. If the arrangers are trying to excite the crowd....in many cases, they are failing. I brought my brother to a show for the 1st time in years this week....he has stopped going to shows....he appreciates the talent/performance level, but does not get excited by the musical arrangements.....in contrast, I remember him writing the word "wow" next to some corps names when he went to DCI East when I marched.

I know that some here have said simply for people to exit with $$$ in hand. But I don't think that has instigated change, either. We have had an exodus of fans, but many (not all) corps continue to produce musical arrangements that are largely ineffective.

I believe that reworking the music effect caption and how it is judged could make an immediate impact. If a staff knows they are going to get clocked competitively if their book doesn't work, things could change rapidly. There is talk about overhauling this caption. It will never be an exact science. However, when you have a show get a 19.5/20 in music effect, yet the show does not connect emotionally with a majority of the audience, there is a problem.....the system is broken, and as long as this approach remains, we will see huge numbers continue to be given to ineffective shows.

As long as there are some great arrangements being played, I'll still come. I had a huge argument with a judge just a few years ago. My comment was that truly great shows are built around great arrangements of great music, and the best visual program in the world can't save a bad arrangement, at least for me. He disagreed. My reply was, "I guess we shouldn't bring Stevie Wonder to a show, then". There was silence.......

GB

I have done this activity for 35 years, and am a music educator....

You poor dear

If your consensus comes from DCPers agreeing with you, please know that DCP is a huge running joke amongst the members and staff of DCI drum corps.

Then I wonder why so many are on here reading.

Then I wonder why so many are on here reading.

Cause no one can resist looking at a train wreck!

They knew it was a drumcorps show but were looking to be entertained. Every year I go hoping to get excited and yes 08 was amazing for phantom because they used a show back from the days when drum corps was amazing and crowds went crazy.

Agreed.......

I was at the Chambersburg, Pa. show on Tuesday.........not one corps got a standing ovation during their program, and it was polite "golf" applause and "forced/respect" standing O's at the end of each show. Two contenders, 3 finalists, and 5 of the top 15 performed.

I disagree with one person who stated that standing O's were a thing of the past. Yes, they are far more infrequent, because they have to be earned. However, they still happen. Phantom 08 is a great example, along with Crown 08,07, Cadets 09, SCV 09, and there are several others. If I have to venture a guess, I will bet that Cadets, Madison, and Blue Knights will put the crowd on their feet everywhere they go this year. However, many of the programs will still only earn "golf" applause....I actually fell asleep during a major corps' performance a few years back....they still broke 17 in music effect, though......as long as ineffective music arrangements continue to get good effect scores, we will see little change.

GB

I am likely going to open a huge can of worms here (or perhaps kill this topic). If one was to look at DCI as a market system, chart its growth/recession, then one could make suggestions about the financial stability of DCI. That being the case, IF DCI has shown a trend toward less revenue and assets over the last several years, then one can suggest that either:

A. DCI is not following best business practices (by encumbering questionable expenses and/or by loss of revenue)

B. DCI is helping foster a climate that is not encouraging financial growth (by allowing an unwanted change of the product), or

C. DCI has somehow changed the culture of expectation in relation to what corps is and what is expected of it (in turn alienating fans/alumni)

I submit for your inspection, two examples. One is the DCI Federal 990 Tax form from 2003. The other is the DCI Federal 990 Tax form from 2008.

DCI 2003 Federal 990 Tax Form

DCI 2008 Federal 990 Tax Form

Look closely.

Are assets up over that time period?

Is revenue down?

Are expenses up?

What do these things suggest about the organization and future of the activity?