Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

Mr. Zing, might I suggest that you and your G7 friends don't let the door hit you on your way out. Also, people keep citing the "success" of Blast as a model for the G7......

Tell me, how many young people is BLAST teaching in 2010?

Personally, I'd take the longevity of 70 years of Madison or Boston anyday, because guess what?

They are STILL getting it done....without jury-rigging the system to do it.

I am over this.

I hear ya!!!! I bet we talk about it here more than they do in meetings.....lol...either way I would almost bet that big change will happen if not in 2011 withing the next 3 years. I think Drum Corps as we know it will change , maybe not to the G7 vision but certainly different then we are used to.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tongue:

so I have a lot of posts. yippee. I also understand the entertainment ( and drumcorps) business a hell of a lot more than you do. you're just on here trolling

While I don't agree that the G7/6/whatever striking off on their own is good for the activity, it should be noted that "making a boatload of cash for the corps directors and all the staff" is hardly the motivating factor.

I hear you. But I didn't really say that the motivating factor for the G-7 was to " make a boatload of cash for the Corps Directors and staff ". I responded to Zing here who mentioned that competition was somehow passe, and that Corps could go out beyond DCI and do exhibitions, not competition. My point was that doing exhibitions would not bring in the talent sufficient enough to make a go of it with part time, seasonal, mostly college students. Plus, doing exhibitions instead of competition shifts the focus automatically from the performer in competition, to the Corps making more money doing exhibitions to whoever will pay the most to that Corps.

I can't speak for anybody else here, but when I was 19, if someone asked me if I 'd like to do Drum Corps exhibitions for 7 weeks, instead of in competition, and pay $2000-3,000 to the Corps to do so, I 'd have told them to go fly a kite. I wouldn't pay anyone a dime to do exhibitions...as Zing here envisions. Doing exhibitions would be like kissing your sister..... it wouldn't have excited me in the least when I was 17-22 and wanted to take on the world.

Edited by BRASSO

i think some super shows may be possible, but I don't think they should be limited to just the G7, nor do I think they should get almost triple the money and all of the power

I can't pseak for anybody else, but when I was 19, if someone asked me if I 'd like to do Drum Corps exhibitions for 7 weeks, instead of in competition, and pay $2000-3,000 to the Corps to do so, I 'd have told them to go fly a kite. I wouldn't pay anyone a dime to do exhibitions...as Zing here envisions. Doing exhibitions is like kissing your sister..... it doesn't excite me in the least.

I can hear the end of season conversation:

"Yeah, I did Drum Corps over the summer. Took away my free time and cost a bundle but worth it"

"So, where did you come in at Finals?"

"We didn't compete, we just killed ourselves to be the best we could be"

Nah... don't see it....

so I have a lot of posts. yippee. I also understand the entertainment ( and drumcorps) business a hell of a lot more than you do. you're just on here trolling

Mine's bigger than yours.

I do find it interesting - perhaps even telling - that the one guy to come in here recently with new ideas and speak against the groupthink gets labeled by you, Bob Smyth and others as a troll.

I do find it interesting - perhaps even telling - that the one guy to come in here recently with new ideas and speak against the groupthink gets labeled by you, Bob Smyth and others as a troll.

because he refuses to discuss anything subtantively. you try to discuss things with him, and he calls you uneducated and short sighted, and refuses to discuss things outsideof his idea.

hence why I labeled him that. Can't speak for the others.

and no, your isn't bigger than mine :tongue:

If it walks like a troll and talks like a troll and and throws out a bunch of grenades into the discussion just to watch 'em blow up like a troll, then perhaps...