DCA has let it be known the race for 2nd has begun.

Ah yes the wise one Mr Allen has the GE caption nailed down.

Just so the rest of you know this:

Affect is always a verb. it means to bring on or cause a change, or to cause emotion, to provoke feelings (good or bad). it can also mean to adopt a false characteristic.

Effect can be either a noun or a verb. As a noun, it means the result of something (cause and effect).

As a verb, it means the same thing as the verb "effectuate", which means to bring about, or to accomplish.

Mr Allen you are a profound man and speak with much knowledge and truth.

All I know is that someone is going to get smart and work at fixing their shows deficiencies and make a run at the 5X champions this year. WHO WILL IT BE? That's the question.

Spruce

Since this thread is not exempt from pettiness, and all about arguing over opinions, I'll insert the only thing I know to be true.

Affect is also a noun. Look it up.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people on this thread have to understand that.... just cause u love a show, it doesn't have to win!!!! when did drum corps become all about who's winning??

Hold on Sagebrush; I'm taking exception!!

Drum corps has ALWAYS been about winning! That's why they call them competitions. To be sure, there are some non-competitive shows - Harrisburg, Horsham, Plymouth, etc. - but this activity's reason for existence is the drum corps competition.

And I have yet to meet the person who'll say, "Well, I guess I'll just go out there tonight and go through the motions."

Even among the alumni corps competition is a factor. I know.. I know.. There's no scoring and there aren't any prizes, but you won't find a soul in an alumni corps who isn't out there to "put on a better show than those other guys." In other words, they're all competing - even though very few will talk about it.

I enjoy winning. I enjoyed it immensely way back when, and I enjoy it equally today.

I was not at Lewisburg, and have yet to see a show this year (this Saturday in Jamestown MAY be the first one I go to this year.) However in regards to DCA becoming like DCI, how designing a show for the judges, etc. That's what I'm here to comment on.

I've spent multiple years in a couple of corps. When I marched, I lived for the crowd reaction (especially in Empire). However, last year was my first year not marching in a corps or working with one and I honestly can say that there are different aspects of different shows that get me going. Buccs show last year is honestly one of my all time favorites. The demand and execution was top notch and they just lit it up at Finals. Another of my favorite shows, albeit a DCI show, not a DCA, is 1996 Madison Scouts. That show played to the audience more than to the judges. Why can't those two styles of shows co exist in the same spectrum/circuit? There are plenty of years where there has been a corps I thought was the most enjoyable not even place in the top 5. But I still love the show. However, those same years, I completely agree with the judges on who was the best that night. Everyone has their own tastes in what they enjoy in a show. Some prefer screamers, some prefer musically demanding passages, some prefer running around and performing. Whatever floats your boat, let it continue to, but remember, just cause you liked it, doesn't mean someone else has to as well.

On the topic of crowd reactions, I have to say the crowd in Lewisburg the other night was one of the toughest crowds I've ever seen at a drum corps show. Golf claps were the norm, and getting standing O's was like pulling teeth. You'd almost think they didn't want to be at a drum corps show. From what I've heard the crowd was drained due to the heat, and I understand that. So I KNOW the corps did not get the reactions they were expecting. I've seen much smaller crowds this season make exponentially more noise when it was time to applaud.

Honestly, the title of this thread...

"DCA has let it be known the race for 2nd has begun"

Is quite off-putting to me.

Is the OP saying that, somehow, the DCA executive committee has met in secret and decided that certain corps will be judged certain ways?

Or that a group of DCA judges has gotten together and decided, as a group, how corps should be judged and which numbers should be handed out in various captions?

Because either of the above scenarios would call into question the integrity of not only a lot of good people, but the entire judging system as it is currently structured.

I guess my point is..... if you're going to make a blanket statement along the lines of "DCA has decided...." or "DCA wants things to happen this way..." then it would be really nice for you to provide some shred of positive, credible proof that somehow, DCA officials and judges are engaged in a massive co-conspiracy to determine the outcome of shows in advance.

And absent that proof, I'd suggest that you just shut up and sit down. :worthy:

Is the OP saying that, somehow, the DCA executive committee has met in secret and decided that certain corps will be judged certain ways?

Or that a group of DCA judges has gotten together and decided, as a group, how corps should be judged and which numbers should be handed out in various captions?

Because either of the above scenarios would call into question the integrity of not only a lot of good people, but the entire judging system as it is currently structured.

I guess my point is..... if you're going to make a blanket statement along the lines of "DCA has decided...." or "DCA wants things to happen this way..." then it would be really nice for you to provide some shred of positive, credible proof that somehow, DCA officials and judges are engaged in a massive co-conspiracy to determine the outcome of shows in advance.

Very well said Fran!!!

Edited by Jeff Adams

Who is DCA anyway? Wait a minute! Is Donny Allen's middle name Christopher? AH HA!!!! :thumbup:

The truth of the matter is that the Bucs ARE better than everyone else. Not sure about MBI, until next week but for 5 years they have dominated and when it comes to design and execution (given, I agree with the opening post about Bucs shows being rehashed dci shows) there is no question. Performance and exciting the crowd is a part of drum corps but that comes naturally when execution is high. Playing loud and having attitude is not getting credit in DCA like is used to, which is a positive step to push groups and programs.

Until someone designs and executes better than Bucs, they win.

I'm not a fan of any group in particular, I'm a fan of good shows.

Who is DCA anyway? Wait a minute! Is Donny Allen's middle name Christopher? AH HA!!!! :thumbup:

Donny's middle name is Charles.

And EVERY other corps IS competing for 2nd behind the Blousemen.

TWA

As the host director from the host school at the annual pre-season judges meeting, I can tell you this. At no point during the evnts of the day did judging coordinator John Kreitzer say, "The reading Buccaneers are the 2010 DCA Champions, let's see if we can sort out the rest."

Give it a break people. They're good (havent seen them yet this year, but can assume). Everybody but the supporters wants Reading to lose, and that's fine, everybody roots for their own. But to keep throwing the Bucs and the judges of DCA under the bus is unnecessary. I can't wait to see everyone as the season progresses, Reading included. The negativity is ridiculous. Go out and enjoy the shows, and if you don't like the results, tough ####.