World Class Scores as of July 23

I REALLY DON'T UNDESTAND WHAT YOU MEAN. DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF BD WINS BY 1 POINT OR 2? A WIN IS A WIN, RIGHT?

Caps Lock Ahoy!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for the record, my question about the score wasn't because of any feelings about the show I may have. It's about how high it is with 24 days til finals from last night.

that means eventually their scores will stagnate, because if they had a show every day, that allows for .33 in growth a day.

It reminds me of 94, where they were so dominant early, scores got closer by finals mainly because BD ran out of numbers and everyone else had room to grow.

Personally I'd be frustrated if I was in the corps and saw our score nickel and dime up every day for the next 3 weeks

Just for perspective Jeff, these guys are so focused, that truly doesn't enter into their thinking. As an example, after Hattiesburg last year, I made a beeline to the lot with scores (most in the lot didn't know). Thinking I was carrying some precious jewel, when I arrived and announced it, they shrugged and were more interested in what the snack was? So...metrics only matter to us in the stands and DCP (for the most part), and certainly not in the way you think to the corps members. I think that might go the same for most corps actually.

funny because I remember the huddle on the quarters telecast last year where Gibbs talked about scores. so I'm not sure that applies consistently.

in fact I know for a fact some BD kids asked me for scores at Allentown last year in the lot ( i happened to be talking to someone in another corps they knew. So I think they do care, especially as you get closer to the end of the year.

Just for perspective Jeff, these guys are so focused, that truly doesn't enter into their thinking. As an example, after Hattiesburg last year, I made a beeline to the lot with scores (most in the lot didn't know). Thinking I was carrying some precious jewel, when I arrived and announced it, they shrugged and were more interested in what the snack was? So...metrics only matter to us in the stands and DCP (for the most part), and certainly not in the way you think to the corps members. I think that might go the same for most corps actually.

funny because I remember the huddle on the quarters telecast last year where Gibbs talked about scores. so I'm not sure that applies consistently.

in fact I know for a fact some BD kids asked me for scores at Allentown last year in the lot ( i happened to be talking to someone in another corps they knew. So I think they do care, especially as you get closer to the end of the year.

Trust me...I get excited texts when plateaus are reached, but for the most part........next!

If you want to beat BD you will (unfortunately) have to beat them at their own game. If a corps can match their level of clean, I think the judges will be willing to compare things other than clean. But so long as they are executing their program with fewer errors than everyone else, the rest of the stuff won't matter.

BD excels at the "how" component so much that it makes the "what" almost irrelevant.

So if you want your "what" to matter, you better execute it as well as or better than they execute their "what".

This is a great point, one I think worthy of a discussion thread of its own.

Without regard to BD, does clean trump all? How much more program and performance excellence are necessary to beat a corps with a less compelling show that is nearly perfect in execution?

HH

Trust me...I get excited texts when plateaus are reached, but for the most part........next!

we'll have to agree to disagree. like that's new. I do notice you didn't reply to my post regarding biases and how that affects viewings of a corps

we'll have to agree to disagree. like that's new. I do notice you didn't reply to my post regarding biases and how that affects viewings of a corps

Gimme a post #!