Explain the Stories Behind These 2010 Shows

Cadets - Toy Souldier

Carolina Crown - A S3con4 Chance

Cavaliers - Mad World

Bluecoats - Metropolis

I challenge any of you to build, from start to finish, a cogent narrative of what exactly is being portrayed by the "characters" and members on the field.

Go!

Note: inside information is cheating.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does it matter? Can we not just enjoy shows for what they are? Do they need a narrative?

Cadets - Toy Souldier

Bluecoats- Metropolis

I challenge any of you to build, from start to finish, a cogent narrative of what exactly is being portrayed by the "characters" and members on the field.

Go!

Note: inside information is cheating.

I know that the Cadets show actually has a story. It was posted when they announced their show. It's supposed to be a little kids dream playing with his toy soldiers, where he dreams that he's one of them, and they come to life so he can play with them. I think it's actually a really cool concept.

And for Bluecoats, the tagline of their show is- The Future is Now. Does the show really need any more explanation than that? It's about a future city.

See guys, no massive narration or degree needed.

Cadets - Toy Souldier

Jeffory rules. Literally. He is a very rich prince from the land of Orakawanatapoeia and owns a bunch of Cadets slaves who he makes act like toys for his entertainment. Jeffory is also a master at high school midi design and loves the sound of baby giggles, so he pushes a button from time to time to get warm fuzzies from that.

Unsatisfied with just playing with his slave people, he asked his parents to create special flags with his face on them. He wants to be a movie star someday. His idol is Adam Sandler.

It's unknown whether or not there will be a revolt in the show against Jeffory, but many feel it would be the perfect ending.

Jeffory rules. Literally. He is a very rich prince from the land of Orakawanatapoeia and owns a bunch of Cadets slaves who he makes act like toys for his entertainment. Jeffory is also a master at high school midi design and loves the sound of baby giggles, so he pushes a button from time to time to get warm fuzzies from that.

Unsatisfied with just playing with his slave people, he asked his parents to create special flags with his face on them. He wants to be a movie star someday. His idol is Adam Sandler.

It's unknown whether or not there will be a revolt in the show against Jeffory, but many feel it would be the perfect ending.

This just made me want to watch the Cadets' show SO MUCH MORE. Bravo, sir.

Cadets - "Toy Souldier" / Carolina Crown - "A S3con4 Chance" / Cavaliers - "Mad World" / Bluecoats - "Metropolis"

I challenge any of you to build, from start to finish, a cogent narrative of what exactly is being portrayed by the "characters" and members on the field. Go! Note: inside information is cheating.

Not having seen any of the shows yet, I visited the corps' respective websites to learn a little. Thus having cheated, I won't attempt any summaries. Anyway, I couldn't find anything about the Bluecoats' concept. Of the other three, only Cadets offer a full scenario, while Crown gives just a brief sketch, and Cavaliers profess not to have a story. However, some comments from their descriptive video were interesting to hear, especially in light of some DCP discussions:

"How do you portray irony or heartbreak or sarcasm through composition?" -- Drew Shanefield

"We're introducing some new sounds. We feel that electronics are the voice of the generation. They're here to stay. They're not replacing anything we're doing acoustically, they're just augmenting, creating new textures that we're doing with the acoustic sounds." -- Mike McIntosh*

"You'll find that the colorguard will not be trying to tell a story that's already been told before but instead they'll be creating different moods and working within different environments that audience members are going to take different things from. What one audience member sees is not going to be the same thing that a different audience member sees." -- Andy Toth**

*Please forgive a brief Osgiliation: McIntosh's statement brought to mind a quote from "On Fairy-stories" by J.R.R. Tolkien:

Long ago Chesterton truly remarked that, as soon as he heard that anything ‘had come to stay’, he knew that it would be very soon replaced – indeed regarded as pitiably obsolete and shabby.

**And another: Toth's expectation echoes the foreword to the 2nd edition of The Lord of the Rings:

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

(Finally: kudos to Crown for spelling "in medias res" correctly in the description of their 2009 show.)

I think Blue Devils is really "The Zone [Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door] part III"

....the door will appear on finals night.

Cadets - Toy Souldier

Little kid plays with toys, imagines joining them (I guess?)

Carolina Crown - A S3con4 Chance

Did you really not pick up on the "second chance at the title" thing?

Cavaliers - Mad World

Please tell me you've read the title to this show. It's the darker aspects of this world.

Bluecoats - Metropolis

No deep underlying meaning here. Just good music and interesting choreography. The "future" of drum corps might be what they're hinting at.

I personally enjoy shows at face value.