Tonight I felt like an old timer!

if they're impressing the judges, we need new judges. if they're only impressing the judges, we need new judges.

if the designers/judges/fans think the shows put out in the last few years that have won are doctorate level works, then they've never read doctorate level work. the shows/arrangement/designs haven't been, aren't, and shouldn't be in the future at that level.

and if you've ever read doctorate level work, it's boring as ####.

This is a good point. I don't wish to dismiss that today's corps are simply trying to detract from the past, but the works they put out have certainly become more cerebral. And it's because the objective over the years has changed from "please the audience" to "please the judge." It's like taking DCI from a boot-stomping barn dance to a quaint and stuffy wine-tasting (probably not the best analogy but that's the first comparison to come to mind.) The average joe getting introduced to DCI isn't really going to get it off the bat unless (like the original poster mentioned) they get out the old tapes and play something that appeals to the gut emotion.

The one segment that got me here was (paraphrasing) "the corps fed off the crowd, the crowd fed off the corps, and the corps fed more off the crowd...."

One heck of a performance can be inspired when the fan element is mixed in. You can have the most kalidoscopic, whiplash visuals matched with the most complex musical execution -- but you'll only get golf claps without the crowd element.

That's why Phantom '08 has been referenced so much. They told a story with the right mix to stir the crowd to chant the "I Am Spartacus" battle cry just from the pure emotion the corps generated. The corps and crowd fed off each other to make it one of the more memorable performances of recent time. The rest is history.

I haven't been involved as much with the activity for the past 5 years, but check back around every August to see the state of affairs around the community. To use my analogy, I bring my boots just in case to see if a barn dance is about to break out. To my dismay, it's just another wine tasting.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definately relate to you on this. I stopped attending shows 4 years ago for the same reason. I turned and walked from the activity and just recently started checking it out again, only to see that it's actually gotten worse. They aren't even using bugles any more for pete's sake. The transition to "bands" is well on it's way. I believe that's because there are so few Corps for kids to gain the experience that's need to march in a WC Drum Corps, they are having to resort to getting that experience from HS bands. Ultimately, this has caused the surviving Corps to convert to band type brass instruments, with the push to include woodwinds. That day my friend will be a very, VERY sad day for us oldtimers.

Drum corps have always been bands. No 'transition' necessary.

Speak for yourself about adding WW and how it will impact us oldtimers. THIS oldtimer looks forward to that day...it is long overdue.

More kids get the competitive experience in their HS bands than EVER got it in drum corps, even when there were 440+. No need to 'resort' to anything.

Thus why I've stopped going to shows during the season and I only go to Indy to see friends I see once a year. Plus, I spend more money in three days in Indy then I did in one year back in the 80's when I went to a ton of shows.

Speak for yourself about adding WW and how it will impact us oldtimers. THIS oldtimer looks forward to that day...it is long overdue.

More kids get the competitive experience in their HS bands than EVER got it in drum corps, even when there were 440+. No need to 'resort' to anything.

+1 to that!

I agree with the OP that it's stale due to lack of melodies, flow, and passion - and not so much HOW we are experiencing it. Amps, Voice, etc are not the problem, the boring show designs are.

I don't know ONE band director that believes marching band is beneficial to WW players. There is no market for it and it will never happen.

I don't know ONE band director that believes marching band is beneficial to WW players. There is no market for it and it will never happen.

MB is just as 'beneficial' to WW players as it is to any other parts of the band.

It's not about what the band director thinks, it's what can be sold TO the band director.

follow the money just like in other issues.

When Yamaha introduces it's line of "field" woodwinds the moving billboard of DCI will step right along.

you don't think all those kids in the stands are just brass and percussion players do you ? Many woodwind players WANT to march and DCI members have floated the notion. It's on it's way because it's business.

DCI has become the best marketing move the instrument companies have ever had.

Do playgrounds make McDonalds food taste better ? NO, but brainwash those kids into heading to McDonalds every chance they get and they will at least sell the parents a few soft drinks at 300% profit and keep the kids coming back for years. Those kids that outgrew the playground now have wifi at McD's.

sigh..............

MB is just as 'beneficial' to WW players as it is to any other parts of the band.

Musically, the furthest I'd go with that is that it helps develop diaphragm support if the teachers do their jobs. It has little practical application to any other type of instrumental performance, solo or ensemble.

Outside of music, it's fantastic for communication/teamwork/multiple responsibilities/etc, just like for any other marching member.

Musically, the furthest I'd go with that is that it helps develop diaphragm support if the teachers do their jobs. It has little practical application to any other type of instrumental performance, solo or ensemble.

Outside of music, it's fantastic for communication/teamwork/multiple responsibilities/etc, just like for any other marching member.

Exactly, the same as with brass.

Exactly, the same as with brass.

Aren't you a drummer from waaayyy back? I'm confused by you. Byline said I was confusing. Keep the brass, they're doing fine today! imo :-)