Tonight I felt like an old timer!

Hey Lance and Matt,

I'm saving your seats on the OLD PHART bus for you.

One day this old 1957 greyhound will suddenly appear right in front of you without warning.

It's ok to get on and it's ok to pause and mumble to yourselves wondering what to do.

It REALLY is ok, everyone on the bus has been there and will understand your sudden state of shock.

and those kids along the road throwing rocks at the bus ? They're ok too, the bus just hasn't stopped for them yet.

HONK HONK

ugh, I want to jump off a bridge now

G

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All afternoon I've been looking forward to coming home and watching the top 8 drum corps in the world battle it out. From what I've been reading on dcp this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever for drum corp. Brought the projector home from work, plugged in the bose to the laptop and prepared for an evening of big, loud and live home style version. I even had my girlfriend, someone who has never seen a drum corp show, sit on the couch watching.

I have to admit for the first time in the 25 years I've been either participating or following this activity, I finally feel like one of those "old timers" who just dont get the direction of this activity. Im not talking about electronics, vocals, preshows, or any other of the rule changes that have taken place over the last 5 to 10 years. I dont see the diversity or passion written into the shows anymore. There is no question the kids in this activity are highly trained, extremely hard workers with a passion for perfection that many of our nations youth will never achieve.

There was not a single show tonight that grabbed me, threw me down in my seat and then made me jump up before the last notes screaming like a little school girl with goose bumps covering my entire body. Did anyone else notice the crowd reaction during the performances and after the last note? Yea!!!!!!! Great job kids, we can tell you're very talented and work very hard, my ### hurts so its time to stand up!

After the Blue Devils (actually every corp) final note, and seeing the look of utter confusion on my girlfriends face, I almost felt like I needed to appologize for wasting the last few hours. I then decided I needed to show her one of my favorite shows of all time. Without saying a word I played 1988 Santa Clara Vanguard. After the corps disapeared she leaned over and said "now that was something I could get excited about and would pay to see!" I then realized what's missing from todays activity. Diversity, Flow, Melodies and Passionately written shows! Im sure I'll be blasted by the younger generation for expressing my disatisfaction and that's fine, we all have a right to an opinion. It was just a sad realization this evening that for the first time in nearly 25 years I realized I am losing touch with an activity that has given me so much joy over the years.

This is how I feel. Not good.

ugh, I want to jump off a bridge now

G

Speaking of drum corps and bridges.......the old 2 lane bridge in Cairo Ill in the early 70's when you would need to pull in the mirrors so as to not smack the mirrors of the tractor tailers coming at you at 65 mph.

Once we made it across we would have to stop for the drivers to get their nerves settled.

Hey Lance and Matt,

I'm saving your seats on the OLD PHART bus for you.

One day this old 1957 greyhound will suddenly appear right in front of you without warning.

It's ok to get on and it's ok to pause and mumble to yourselves wondering what to do.

It REALLY is ok, everyone on the bus has been there and will understand your sudden state of shock.

and those kids along the road throwing rocks at the bus ? They're ok too, the bus just hasn't stopped for them yet.

HONK HONK

I think the bus will arrive for me very soon, actually.

It's not that I disagree with everything or even most of what you're saying.

This phenomenon is nothing new. After you've been following something for decades, new things will almost always seem less and less interesting, and the familiar will become more and more loved. It happens with music, sports, and everything. The old days were always better, more authentic, more passionate, whatever.

If you aren't enjoying the activity, find something new! Life's too short to be upset about something you once liked changing into something you don't. It's certainly too short to post on message boards about the thing you don't like. That's what I really don't get...

.... people discard old appliances, old TV's, old politics, old cars, old apartments, old friends, old wives, old gadgets, old clothes, old music,, etc all the time. People do like the familiar, but the suggestion that people are not open to new ideas, concepts, things, is just not borne out with the number of people who buy new stuff, and try out new things all the time.... daily as a matter of fact. It's all in the presentation. You gotta make the sale. People will buy. You've just got to provide " the right stuff ", that's all.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the bus will arrive for me very soon, actually.

It's not that I disagree with everything or even most of what you're saying.

I DO understand ( I think ) where you are.

There was a point that I kept defending drum corps even though it was slipping away (or rising above my head ) and the fear of it becoming something I didn't relate to made me defend it all the more.

Then one day the bus showed up in the form of RAMD

I DO understand ( I think ) where you are.

There was a point that I kept defending drum corps even though it was slipping away (or rising above my head ) and the fear of it becoming something I didn't relate to made me defend it all the more.

Then one day the bus showed up in the form of RAMD

didn't the wheels come off that " bus " ?

What bothers me is that the kids are more talented than they ever have been in this activity. The shows are certainly more complex, but there is very little emotion or excitement. I can appreciate the quality of the performance, but sometimes I want to jump up and cheer. I do not feel that anymore and I am not seeing it at the shows I attend. That is sad.

What bothers me is that the kids are more talented than they ever have been in this activity. The shows are certainly more complex, but there is very little emotion or excitement. I can appreciate the quality of the performance, but sometimes I want to jump up and cheer. I do not feel that anymore and I am not seeing it at the shows I attend. That is sad.

we just need more goosebumps