The World Series of Drum Corps

Until they change their qualifications again, when blue stars or anyone else are on the verge of joining their exclusive club.

Again.. why 7? Some years its only top 5 that are the draw and theres a big drop after then. Some years its top 8. Some years, like this year and last, you have a top 12 that is very entertaining top to bottom. And why *these* 7. Crown and Bloo are newcomers here relatively. If we're talking crowd draw, why isnt madison in here? They draw a huge crowd, even in their down years.

I actually agree with you there. Personally I think this proposal could be extended to include Boston and Blue Stars quite easily, perhaps the Madison Scouts if they continue showing the improvement they've shown this season.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these seven corps split and form their own organization, then they would compete directly with what's left of DCI for the best markets, venues, and Saturday night shows. That would certainly be more harmful to the remaining corps than anything contained in the World Series concept. The World Series idea strikes me a plausible compromise, one that allows DCI to continue in the same shape and form.

Or maybe it would be more harmful to the World Series of Drum Corps, fearing they can't compete with DCI for the best venues and dates.

Of course, if the rhetoric about these Cirque du NASCAR/World Series events being "different" was true, then it wouldn't be a competition for the same market, would it?

What?

Clearly, fewer shows for the Mandarins deprives them of direct revenue-earning opportunities via appearance fees....but it also deprives them of the exposure they need to get a fair read from the judges and the opportunity to reach more fans. It is a vicious circle, where less shows for "lesser corps" creates a self-perpetuating disparity within DCI world-class.

As I read this proposal, the Mandarins are free to perform the same numbers of shows as they always have. The only difference is that the World Series corps might be at their own shows that night instead of at shows with the Mandarins. The number of shows doesn't appear changed by this, only the participating corps. If you think this means less revenue and less fan exposure, well yes, you're right. That's the point.

The Cavaliers are not locked into any specific business model, nor is any other DCI corps. They are free to leave DCI at any time. More importantly, they are free to run multiple programs, some within DCI and some elsewhere. If they are so capable of generating revenue independently, they should do so in the manner of Blast!, BD Entertainment, or the numerous drumlines performing at NFL, NBA and other sporting events. And once they do that, if they still want to run a DCI program too, they should do so in compliance and cooperation with DCI rules and policies.

Isn't that exactly what the Cavaliers are doing? They are performing a handful of field shows outside of the DCI schedule, and leaving the DCI schedule intact. As stated in Jeff's text:

"The schedule assumes that all corps will continue to participate in the DCI Tour including the Friday / Saturday focus shows and the DCI Championships which produce the vast majority of the income that DCI shares with all corps. The shows are also scheduled so as to not interfere or compete for audience or income with corps sponsored shows on the DCI schedule. Shows are planned and are being finalized in the following locations."

The Madison Scouts have more audience drawing appeal than any single Corps in the G-7.

uhhh what? i'm a madison fan but i disagree. wondering what the justification behind that statement is....please don't make it facebook friends :tongue:

uhhh what? i'm a madison fan but i disagree.

I dont. Ive been to shows across the country, even in some pretty down years, where madison had as much crowd following as the top tier. The brand lost some shine the past 5 years, but its still there... and theyre polishing it back up again now.

As I read this proposal, the Mandarins are free to perform the same numbers of shows as they always have. The only difference is that the World Series corps might be at their own shows that night instead of at shows with the Mandarins. The number of shows doesn't appear changed by this, only the participating corps.

I'm sorry, but it is not that simple. Within the DCI tour's predefined number of show dates, any proposal that takes 9 shows and designates them as available only to G7 corps means there are less shows available to the other corps. That is simple logic.

Perhaps this is better illustrated by looking at a different example corps. Do you expect the Crossmen to have the same show access and local exposure when three of the season's Texas events are off limits to them?

Not to get too Rand-ian on you, but what claim does the Mandarins have on the Cavaliers continued presence other than "need"? Is the need of the Mandarins sufficient in itself to hamstring the Cavaliers into a specific business model for perpetuity? I say no, and I'd sure like to see a defense of that claim, if you can give it.

I don't subscribe to objectivism, but I'm not making a moral claim about the rights of these corporations. The Cavaliers have the right to leave DCI or do what they can to blow it up from within, sure. Mandarins have no moral claim on the cachet The Cavaliers have built up over the decades. But I hope that income to the Cavaliers organization is not the only metric by which the Cavaliers board makes these decisions.

I'm just arguing about the practical effects. I think this World Series idea will hurt the chances of survival for many DCI corps. I think that a healthy DCI and a growing group of World Class corps is good for drum corps as an activity and good for the G7. I would like a healthy drum corps ecosystem to continue to be viable and to grow. If this is just about pure capitalism, then drum corps will not last in any form.

SCV didn't have their closer on the field until the 2nd week of July this year...

what they hell are they going to perform in the middle of June in Texas next year? The first half of their show and bring some local HS band kids on the field to stand still and play Texas Our Texas with them? Sounds thrilling.

Breathing ... breathing ... in the vein of "outside audiences" and "active collaborations," perhaps this one? Or this? Maybe even this? For the leisure crowd ... and for head-to-head competition. For age-appropriate collaborations, if they should dane to "play" with Open Class corps, if they decided to play "nice," since the whole thing will move inside eventually, and finally, since this whole "concert" approach will likely flame out; this collaboration and venue.