Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question. If none of the G-7 directors have voting power in DCI anymore why would they bother even TRYING to reconcile and hang around.

I would imagine the G-7 will have to determine for themselves if it is their best interests to continue working with their fellow colleagues in DCI to advance the interests of all the Corps collectively ( as is DCI's mandate )..... or go off and try and make a go of it on their own with all the risks ( and rewards ) such a departure would present to themselves.

I would imagine the G-7 will have to determine for themselves if it is their best interests to continue working with their fellow colleagues in DCI to advance the interests of all the Corps collectively ( as is DCI's mandate )..... or go off and try and make a go of it on their own with all the risks ( and rewards ) such a departure would present to themselves.

... , gambling their future on Hopkins' ability to win friends and influence people, entrusting their fate to the commitment of those not committed to DCI, sharing their interests with those unwilling to share....

Sounds like a plan.

... , gambling their future on Hopkins' ability to win friends and influence people, entrusting their fate to the commitment of those not committed to DCI, sharing their interests with those unwilling to share....

Sounds like a plan.

Thelma and Louise thought they had a plan too.

DCI without the top 7-8 corps would be like attending a drumcorp show with two botom 12 corps and 10 B class corps. Sure it's still entertaining but not at the same level.

and those shows out in California are packed at the end of the night, just like the other shows with BD and SCV there.

and those shows out in California are packed at the end of the night, just like the other shows with BD and SCV there.

except the latest G7 plan showed no shows in California

Pete Simpson (Troopers) Blue Man Group

Also Anthony Parrulli (Spirit) Blue Man Group

Rumor (the fuel that feeds this site, and which admittedly has inspired my "over the top" Rants) has it that more than 1 of the G7 are there solely to keep an eye on that groups moves. Some members have already stated their commitment to remaining WITHIN the DCI community. True or False? I don't know. As a matter of fact, I must admit that I know squat about the internal political battles now going on within the Drum Corps community. But, while not knowing, I DO believe;

1) That on the surface, the G7 movement is arrogant, elitist, & divisive.

2) That DCI may actually benefit from this squabble by reevaluating some of their current policies & procedures.

3) That George Hopkins has damaged the entire Drum Corps activity more than any single individual EVER has, and if allowed to continue in ANY role whatsoever in The Cadets or any other DC position, will destroy Drum Corps as we know & have known it.

4) That, no matter our past gripes with DCI, now is the time to support it & its still loyal members.

5) That we of the Drum Corps community have an obligation & duty to communicate with the G7 Directors, demanding clear and concise reasons for their actions.

This is, of course, my personal opinion, and in no way reflects any organizaion that I have been or currently am involved with.

In closing, I WILL NOT support ANY members of "Sergeant Hopkins Lowly Woodwinds Band"! :smile::tongue::blink:

Rumor (the fuel that feeds this site, and which admittedly has inspired my "over the top" Rants) has it that more than 1 of the G7 are there solely to keep an eye on that groups moves. Some members have already stated their commitment to remaining WITHIN the DCI community. True or False? I don't know. As a matter of fact, I must admit that I know squat about the internal political battles now going on within the Drum Corps community. But, while not knowing, I DO believe;

2) That DCI may actually benefit from this squabble by reevaluating some of their current policies & procedures.

3) That George Hopkins has damaged the entire Drum Corps activity more than any single individual EVER has, and if allowed to continue in ANY role whatsoever in The Cadets or any other DC position, will destroy Drum Corps as we know & have known it.

4) That, no matter our past gripes with DCI, now is the time to support it & its still loyal members.

5) That we of the Drum Corps community have an obligation & duty to communicate with the G7 Directors, demanding clear and concise reasons for their actions.

This is, of course, my personal opinion, and in no way reflects any organizaion that I have been or currently am involved with.

In closing, I WILL NOT support ANY members of "Sergeant Hopkins Lowly Woodwinds Band"! :smile::tongue::blink:

AmFlag -- you posting is on to things possibly more true than anyone may want to hear.

In the vain of your posting, below is a portion of an email I sent out to the "G7-ites" and the rest of the DCI Board back in May when this whole "issue" camt to light. To his credit and it was truly appreciated -- Blue Knights director and current DCI Board chair, Mark Arnold, replied to my email (will not share his entire reply since I do not have his permission). Suffice to say that I am confident that Mr. Arnold will do all that he can to keep the activity from being mired in DIS-unity, and one of the ways that has been accomplished is by retaining the services of Dan Acheson for another term.

Excerpts of my May 27th email to the DCI Board and the "G-7-ites" below. If anyone is interested in my entire email, send me a PM and I will share it

I have enjoyed, been a fan of, supported all of the organizations represented currently in the DCI voting membership, and also ones no longer around. While many of you have a long and storied history within the drum corps activity, it is VERY apparent that some of you have long forgotten about what attracted you to the activity in the first place!! I would bet my house and two cars on the fact that if the entirety of those receiving this email/letter would do some long reflection on your levels of involvement over decades within the activity, you actually would come to the conclusion that the "proposals" now being considered are merely cannon-fodder, and merit no further action! as they currently have been proposed!

Food for thought -- Check your egos, ideas, stupid rules proposals (one from a few years back allowing saxophones in DCI comes to mind) and sit down and come up with SOLUTIONS that are real, relevant, and make sense!! Creating class warfare (G7) and fostering division among the ranks is NOT the way to accomplish things!!!

Lastly -- it is my observation -- and that of possibly a few others -- that the discord about the future direction and leadership resulting in the May 12-16 meetings and decisions can be dealt with effectively if everyone lays their ENTIRE hand of cards on the table!! Some of you have not done this, and others have only laid out half of their cards!! While I wholeheartedly agree that changes within DCI are needed and necessary - - the scope of which is being tossed around will lead to the demise - - yes I said DEMISE of one of the best youth activities as we know it!!

In closing -- as a father of a 3 year old who LOVES watching DCI DVD's (his current favorites are 1989 Cavaliers; 2005 Blue Devils; and 2007 Bluecoats), I would like nothing better than to have him auditioning for a corps in 12 or 13 years. However if the current state of affairs / proposals / discord continues -- I will do everything in my fatherly power to discourage him from ever becoming a part of the activity! If that doesn't jerk you into the reality of the situation -- than nothing will!!

Quit "toying" with an activity that has a long and very storied and traditional history, and get on with doing the RIGHT thing in sitting down and DIALOUGING about how to fix things and come up with solutions! Solutions that will grow the activity, avoid disunity as much as possible, and DISCOURAGES class warfare!!!

Well, after your initial decries of "Sending the Devils back to hell" ..you have won me over with this, actually full of more "truth" than you might think....or you know that already :whistle:

G