Hate

There has been a LOT of "hatred" on DCP this year (almost to epic "RAMD levels").

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would "hate" a drum corps. Granted, I have my favorite corps that I like more than others, but I honestly can't think of a drum corps I "hate".

It seems like a lot of hatred is based on the following:

• Personal Accounts - There are a few people out there who base their hatred on first hand experiences: "I saw a guy in BD do this...", or "One of the Scouts did this ..". In these cases, you basically can't argue the fact that they saw something. However, in MOST of the cases I'm pretty sure that the corps member that was out of line was an isolated case. I'm pretty sure that NO drum corps teaches bad manners or bad sportsmanship (see this post). I would hope that the people with the "personal accounts" of history would not hate the drum corps, but feel sorry for the misguided individuals for their inappropriate behavior.
  • Second Hand Accounts - Hatred based on "one of my best friends said that ..." is just plain wrong. There have been documented stories (on DCP) where someone swears by "his best friends comments" and have been proved wrong. Granted, there have been some that were accurately re-reported, but the "I don't like this class of people because a friend told me something" is a very slippery slope indeed.
  • Herd Mentality - Unfortunately, when a few vocal people start espousing hatred, this "feeling" is picked up and amplified by others. In the wild west it used to be called a "lynch mob".
  • Incorrect Memories of History - This too, unfortunately, happens a lot. An excellent example of this is "hangover at retreat" video (just recently re-posted), which clearly shows it wasn't BD who hung over.
  • Taking things to "extreme" - If a person sees (Personal Account), or "hears about" (Second Hand Account) a corps member doing something they classify as "bad behavior", then they extrapolate that into "if one corps member does that, then the entire organization must be bad". This is a also a very slippery slope ... judging a group of people on the actions of a single individual.
  • Because of a Show Concept - There has been outright displayed hatred of a corps over just because of what they are playing on the field. This type of hatred is very upsetting: "I hate you because you because I hate your show" is mind boggling.

Why am I posting this? I (as well as others) get very upset seeing all of this hatred on DCP. In my years of drum corps experience, it has never been focused on hatred ... it's been focused on camaraderie, team effort, cooperation, self-improvement, and having fun doing something that I love to do. Not hate, just a love of the drum corps the activity.

I would recommend that DCP adopts a new guideline ... to curtail the "hate postings".

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing the amount of hate and political drama you can stir up just talking about marching bands.

This is another type of "negativity" which breeds hate ... calling drum corps "marching bands" brings out negative feelings and a type of hatred ("we are NOT a marching band").

PLEASE ... let's have a meaningful discussion on this topic, and keep this thread on the issue at hand.

Thanks!

There has been a LOT of "hatred" on DCP this year (almost to epic "RAMD levels").

Oh then, let everyone run away and cower at being labeled. Because that's what you're engaging in. You don't want a discussion, you want to throw out the "hate" card and stifle the sifting and winnowing of ideas.

Leave this for the political newsgroups.

I don't see "hate." I see passionate discourse. Are you afraid of the exchange of ideas?

This is another type of "negativity" which breeds hate ... calling drum corps "marching bands" brings out negative feelings and a type of hatred ("we are NOT a marching band").

PLEASE ... let's have a meaningful discussion on this topic, and keep this thread on the issue at hand.

Thanks!

Well, we are a band that marches.....

If it's drum corps, it's all good.

I'm going to disagree with you my good friend. This is one thread that needs to stay OPEN!!!!

All he's suggesting is what many of us believe...rumors, slander and 2nd hand information have ruined corps reputations and although it may stimulate yet another Jerry Springer moment...but maybe that's why they tend not to be managed by the mods a much! :lookaround:

It's gonna be a shame you did all this typing only for this thread to get closed.