Hate

Could it be that as fast as life is changing for most of us, DC was the bridge from childhood to being an adult. We know things in our childhod are gone but the more that "bridge " changes the more we are forced to look at our own age and the prospect of being OLD. Lets face it, most of the shows on TV are trash, most of what we are buying with our hard earned money is trash that falls apart or breaks way too soon. As most of us walk down that path to the future we have fewer and fewer things to rely on other than what we experienced on that "bridge". When that bridge is replaced with some new fangled thing it frightens us in ways we don't even understand. We refuse to chat with people about how we miss the OLD Tonight Show with Carson because it's not the hip[ thing to do. Like lemmings we watch the stupidity of the cookie cutter late night shows and long for a time and place where we are comfortable. With game changing shows like BD & Cavies, many people feel as if their comfort zone is being yanked out from under them leaving them confused and threatened.

This is NOT the way to the Piggly Wiggly ! I know how to get there and this is NOT the way.

FEAR...............................................BINGO....I AGREE

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I HATE FEAR!!!!! :thumbup:

Ahhh but it's so much more indepth than just fear. Most of us who marched and instructed built the foundations of our lives on what we learned in drum corps as it related to life in general. The fact that this year seems to be a huge jump forward has chummed the waters for sharks of ill content in several ways.

Personally I expected to hate BD & Cavies considering everything I had heard and read. When I actually saw the shows I was amazed at the thought provoking aspects of both shows. However, the reasons other people had for not liking the shows were varied and to a large degree understandable ( if just to me)

Some people it seemed could not focus on the shows and actually were feeling dizzy

Some people were getting headaches

Some people could not find enough of a melody

Some people had just been sitting too long

I was amazed with both shows, but, I have suffered through some rough mental issues at different points in my life.

Cavies show called to me as a reminder of clinical depression and anxiety and "hiding behind the mask" I became uneasy by the feeling of being sucked into the show and onto the field as if I was an active participant.

BD's show reminded me of things I experienced during a 69 day hospital stay when I was on morphine 6 times a day. I don't know if I could have appreciated this show to the degree I did had I not had that experience. In fact one of my old DC friends was anxious to hear my take on the show because they said it was the closest thing to my description of morphine induced hallunciations that they had ever seen. Indeed, it was like visiting an old mentally disturbed friend ( oh Auntie Emm, theres no place like home)

I LOVED both shows but I can see where many people would not like them at all. Yes, some from fear but many from just being uncomfortable and feeling leaft out ?

Yes, a bit! But like all things DCP, reputations are scared and healed depending on where in the rankings a corps finds itself!

In any case, it's destructive and perhaps good for our little coffee klatsch here but not for the corps. We've had a couple of bad ones this year and even in the last 24 hours....real trash!

I don't consider placement in regards to a corps reputation. I consider how they portray themselves. The members have very little control over their ranking (they do their best and then judges decide the ranking).....they do however have complete control over how they behave while representing their corps.

This is another type of "negativity" which breeds hate ... calling drum corps "marching bands" brings out negative feelings and a type of hatred ("we are NOT a marching band").

PLEASE ... let's have a meaningful discussion on this topic, and keep this thread on the issue at hand.

Thanks!

Well, we may not need to worry about that "marching band" problem much longer if they bring in woodwinds, now would we?

There has been a LOT of "hatred" on DCP this year (almost to epic "RAMD levels").

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would "hate" a drum corps. Granted, I have my favorite corps that I like more than others, but I honestly can't think of a drum corps I "hate".

It seems like a lot of hatred is based on the following:

• Personal Accounts - There are a few people out there who base their hatred on first hand experiences: "I saw a guy in BD do this...", or "One of the Scouts did this ..". In these cases, you basically can't argue the fact that they saw something. However, in MOST of the cases I'm pretty sure that the corps member that was out of line was an isolated case. I'm pretty sure that NO drum corps teaches bad manners or bad sportsmanship (see this post). I would hope that the people with the "personal accounts" of history would not hate the drum corps, but feel sorry for the misguided individuals for their inappropriate behavior.
  • Second Hand Accounts - Hatred based on "one of my best friends said that ..." is just plain wrong. There have been documented stories (on DCP) where someone swears by "his best friends comments" and have been proved wrong. Granted, there have been some that were accurately re-reported, but the "I don't like this class of people because a friend told me something" is a very slippery slope indeed.
  • Herd Mentality - Unfortunately, when a few vocal people start espousing hatred, this "feeling" is picked up and amplified by others. In the wild west it used to be called a "lynch mob".
  • Incorrect Memories of History - This too, unfortunately, happens a lot. An excellent example of this is "hangover at retreat" video (just recently re-posted), which clearly shows it wasn't BD who hung over.
  • Taking things to "extreme" - If a person sees (Personal Account), or "hears about" (Second Hand Account) a corps member doing something they classify as "bad behavior", then they extrapolate that into "if one corps member does that, then the entire organization must be bad". This is a also a very slippery slope ... judging a group of people on the actions of a single individual.
  • Because of a Show Concept - There has been outright displayed hatred of a corps over just because of what they are playing on the field. This type of hatred is very upsetting: "I hate you because you because I hate your show" is mind boggling.

Why am I posting this? I (as well as others) get very upset seeing all of this hatred on DCP. In my years of drum corps experience, it has never been focused on hatred ... it's been focused on camaraderie, team effort, cooperation, self-improvement, and having fun doing something that I love to do. Not hate, just a love of the drum corps the activity.

I would recommend that DCP adopts a new guideline ... to curtail the "hate postings".

I agree 100% with this post. Anyone who hates a show should be automaticly labeled as a hate monger who hates the corps and the kids performing that show. It would also be a good idea to get DHS involved when anyone has the gall to express a negitave thought about a performance or a part of a show. I find the first amendment to the US constitution to be out dated and obsolete just as you do. The free exchange of thoughts and ideas are not welcome here. Shut up and be happy :thumbup: That's my motto. (goose stepping away form my computer) like a good comrad.

Hate is the basis for 90% of the internet. This is true at least 50% of time for 75% of all users. A non-scientific survey survey of 3 people I know was used for this data.

Edited by jplattSCV

I think the OP has it all backwards. People are passionate about the things that they LOVE. We care about these things so if something is happening to hurt that thing (if only in our minds), we feel the need to express ourselves and our concern/frustration/anger, etc...

I personally do not hate any corps. I think it is stupid to "hate" a corps. When I was in college, I never understood why members of the university marching band who had marched with a corps (3 different world class top 3 corps) hated the other corps. They would bad mouth them and tout up their own corps. It really had the opposite effect than what they were hoping, I'm sure. I just don't understand that. I didn't assume that all of the corps members were like that, but it did make me wonder (after seeing it from three different members of different corps.)

I love all of the corps. I don't love all of the shows every year and that seems to be more common these days since electronics have entered the field, but I don't hate any corps. What would be the point of that? One show (or even several) you don't like so you hate them? I couldn't stand Cadets' shows from 2004 to 2008 but I loved their shows in 2009 and 2010 and I'm hoping I will love their show in 2011 also.

It just depends on the year whether I like or dislike the show, not the corps. I don't know why so many people have such a hard time separating the two. Just because you hate a show does NOT mean you hate that corps. It means you hate that music/drill/design/whatever. This is a forum that is supposed to be here for us to express our opinions about drumcorps. Why else would it be here? I believe in the free exchange of opinions and ideas when it comes to drumcorps because I love drumcorps and I will continue to share my opinion about it on this forum for as long as they let me. If you don't like the "hate" (opinions) that are being expressed, why not just ignore that user's posts? That's a bit extreme but it is an option. Just don't forbid people from expressing how they truly feel about a show. If you only allowed positive things to be said about yourself, how would you ever improve or grow? Just my two cents.

By the way, congratulations to the 2010 Blue Devils, the DRUM CORPS INTERNATIONAL WORLD CHAMPIONS for the FOURTEENTH TIME!! WOW!!! I didn't care for your show at all this year, but I don't hate you. I respect the organization and look forward to what you will present to us next year. Cheers. :thumbup:

I think the OP has it all backwards. People are passionate about the things that they LOVE. We care about these things so if something is happening to hurt that thing (if only in our minds), we feel the need to express ourselves and our concern/frustration/anger, etc...

I personally do not hate any corps. I think it is stupid to "hate" a corps. When I was in college, I never understood why members of the university marching band who had marched with a corps (3 different world class top 3 corps) hated the other corps. They would bad mouth them and tout up their own corps. It really had the opposite effect than what they were hoping, I'm sure. I just don't understand that. I didn't assume that all of the corps members were like that, but it did make me wonder (after seeing it from three different members of different corps.)

I love all of the corps. I don't love all of the shows every year and that seems to be more common these days since electronics have entered the field, but I don't hate any corps. What would be the point of that? One show (or even several) you don't like so you hate them? I couldn't stand Cadets' shows from 2004 to 2008 but I loved their shows in 2009 and 2010 and I'm hoping I will love their show in 2011 also.

It just depends on the year whether I like or dislike the show, not the corps. I don't know why so many people have such a hard time separating the two. Just because you hate a show does NOT mean you hate that corps. It means you hate that music/drill/design/whatever. This is a forum that is supposed to be here for us to express our opinions about drumcorps. Why else would it be here? I believe in the free exchange of opinions and ideas when it comes to drumcorps because I love drumcorps and I will continue to share my opinion about it on this forum for as long as they let me. If you don't like the "hate" (opinions) that are being expressed, why not just ignore that user's posts? That's a bit extreme but it is an option. Just don't forbid people from expressing how they truly feel about a show. If you only allowed positive things to be said about yourself, how would you ever improve or grow? Just my two cents.

By the way, congratulations to the 2010 Blue Devils, the DRUM CORPS INTERNATIONAL WORLD CHAMPIONS for the FOURTEENTH TIME!! WOW!!! I didn't care for your show at all this year, but I don't hate you. I respect the organization and look forward to what you will present to us next year. Cheers. :smile:

Well spoken. Wish the discourse was always as intelligent. The only other thing I will add, which you may disagree, is that anytime that I feel/believe that the hate of a corp is behind a post, I will reserve my 1st amendment rights to call it out.