2000 - 2010 , what have we learned?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to cite some examples to support your opinion ??

G

Amps...

Pits sound much better micced...esp due to the use of of softer mallets that make the bars sound so much better to my ears.

Miccing the vocals makes it possible for great shows going back to Crown's 04 singers, Cadets drumspeak in 05, their solo singer in 06, the 07 show...great stuff. Cascades Airborne Symphony was another great use of a micced vocal.

Electronics...

Synths in general have been well integrated into shows. Low end synths enhance the overall sound of the corps.

We've seen most smaller corps disappear.

Division 1 corps: 20

Division 2/3 corps (including international): 46

World Class corps: 23

Open Class corps (including international): 16

proof that the activity is dying.

ITS BEEN FUN!!!

Look at Total Junior Cors in 2000:

All Juniors in 2000

Now look at All Junior in 2010:

All Junior Corps 2010

Amps...

Pits sound much better micced...esp due to the use of of softer mallets that make the bars sound so much better to my ears.

Miccing the vocals makes it possible for great shows going back to Crown's 04 singers, Cadets drumspeak in 05, their solo singer in 06, the 07 show...great stuff. Cascades Airborne Symphony was another great use of a micced vocal.

Electronics...

Synths in general have been well integrated into shows. Low end synths enhance the overall sound of the corps.

I diasgree. They take the pure sound and the achievement away from the brass performers. Makinng them sound cheap and manufactured. In many corps. One of the biggest complaints of the year.

How many corps did you see live this year ??

Funny you used Stuff Cadets did in 06 and 07 as positive. Many feel different, and thankfully, they took a lot of it out, and it hasnt returned.

G

Wow....DCI has been doing a great job at keeping the junior activity going...and in the right direction. I was born in 53...I do know my history...I started marching in 64...DCI is, IMO, the only reason we have ANY of the junior activity left.

you're right they have...if you take away how many corps there were in 2000 vs 2010

I diasgree. They take the pure sound and the achievement away from the brass performers. Makinng them sound cheap and manufactured. In many corps. One of the biggest complaints of the year.

How many corps did you see live this year ??

Funny you used Stuff Cadets did in 06 and 07 as positive. Many feel different, and thankfully, they took a lot of it out, and it hasnt returned.

G

I don't really care if you disagree. You asked me for examples and I gave them.

Synths do not take anything at all away from the 'pure sound' or anything the brass performers do, no more than, say, the marimba, or any pit instrument. They are part of the 'pure sound' produced by the corps.

I went to three shows plus 1/4-finals at the theater. Why does that matter?

Amps...

Electronics...

he asked you to support your argument, not his :thumbup:

you're right they have...if you take away how many corps there were in 2000 vs 2010

Individual corps failures are due to the inability of those corps to survive for whatever reasons they failed, be it finances or lack of members or...DCI's job is to provide a competitive environment and to make sure, to the best of their ability, that any corps participating has the financial ability to not endanger the members.

Wow....DCI has been doing a great job at keeping the junior activity going...and in the right direction. I was born in 53...I do know my history...I started marching in 64...DCI is, IMO, the only reason we have ANY of the junior activity left.

I think that's highly debatable Mike. Had DCI heeded the words of Scott Stewart in 1997 ( I believe ) ... how different would the activity be today? How many corps would still be in existence? Would we even be having a G7 debate?

Hard to answer some of those questions .. but in my mind, we would be in a far different scenario in 2010 had we listened ... and for the better by far.