Just who *IS* this new audience we need to reach ...

"Dancing loses something on a football field, but what do I know?"

"Oh, there was some comic relief. The Cadets had a show about "Little Jeffrey," who grows up to become a drum major. Little Jeffrey looked a bit like Adam Sandler, which made it all the more annoying. "

He might know more than many here might be willnig to admit. More than a lot of people in the community are afraid to say like he did.

And to see the Cadets panned as comic relief... yeah, maybe they need to start thinknig about some of their rather "visionary direction".

I thought it was a pretty good and fair review, personally. If you were offended, maybe it's time to look in the mirrir and think hard about what's been going down.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, there was some comic relief. The Cadets had a show about 'Little Jeffrey,' who grows up to become a drum major. Little Jeffrey looked a bit like Adam Sandler, which made it all the more annoying."

He might know more than many here might be willing to admit. More than a lot of people in the community are afraid to say like he did.

Hardly. Little Geoffey was regularly panned on DCP all season long. One poster here has explained in eloquent detail how Little Geo. fails in story terms.

(But I persist in thinking that in live performance, the Cadets show is all but unaffected by his presence, and the show hardly seems to have a story at all -- it works just fine as traditional drum corps. In my opinion, people who were annoyed by L.G. saw him in close-up -- as this blogger did, because despite my pleas [as if the videographers were going to listen to me, anyway] the Quarterfinals braodcast showed him that way.)

"Dancing loses something on a football field, but what do I know?

This also is a common subject of complaint on these forums, if perhaps not an opinion the majority here share.

I just wonder, after finals, if Hop channeled his inner Obi Wan Kenobi:

"Little Geoffrey, you were the chosen one! You were to bring championships to YEA!"

Like I've said in other post's ...look at the reaction to Star's performance and to that of Devs this season, audiences are CRAVING real Drum Corps, fans are there and we can get people to return to the activity, it's just the fans are becoming disenchanted with what they are seeing very VANILLA...since we are hemmoraghing traditionalist's and the "newbies" or those whom are deemed "outsiders" are less likely to stick around or return to another show...we have unfortunately missed the target audience in our niche oriented world... DCI has officially become "Pepsi Clear"...

This guy is a stupid idiot! What does he know about drum corps anyhow!? Good grief...if you don't like it STAY AWAY you ######## dinosaur! Clearly he's not as refined as us and doesn't realize that drum corps is NOT about entertaining the fans?

Good riddance you buffoon!

Our virtually private, pageantry niche is rarely "broken into" by the real world, but when it happens it always makes me wonder just who new audiences might be; no matter in a "World Series," in a "Major League," or simply just a weeknight show in a high school stadium: Anywhere, USA.

Here's the dichotomy:

So I pen my DCI season in review, 41 years in: get it, love it, want to pass that on. Here.

The next day, I read this blog, from a newspaper. Mike Danahey saw Quarterfinals in a movie theatre.

(Be fore-warned: this is not for the faint of pageantry artistic heart or temperament. It is "scary fabulous.")

Opinions each one, albeit from two polar positions and views.

Is one more valid, more valuable, than the other to building a fan base?

Does an insider's view offer better context, or perhaps that of a newspaper man/neophyte?

In other words, does drum corps need the likes of more David Hill's in the stands, or more Mike Danahey's?

Curious what fellow DCPer's have to offer. Thanks. :innocent:

Believe it or not, we need both. Your perspective as a seasoned professional gives insiders and knowledgeable people a real view at what is happening. His perspective is what i would expect from a newbie that is trying to write an interesting article, but without interviewing or researching the subject very well. He will become more knowledgeable in time, if he continues. and we will need to reach out to those like him more and more. BTW, nice article!

Believe it or not, we need both. Your perspective as a seasoned professional gives insiders and knowledgeable people a real view at what is happening. His perspective is what i would expect from a newbie that is trying to write an interesting article, but without interviewing or researching the subject very well. He will become more knowledgeable in time, if he continues. and we will need to reach out to those like him more and more. BTW, nice article!

I agree. this may be just waht causal observers see...and we need more of them

I think they all see there is a problem. it's just that 7 think the way to fix it is one way, 16 think differently.

having run businesses and trying to keep one afloat in a bad economy, I'd pay to go sit in a DCI meeting and ask them some simple business 101 questions.

You are 100% right. I would like to see them publish complete minutes... After all, this is an NP. I think that some of the less popular proposals would not even get presented...

After reading the many posts on DCP over the last year about needing to grow the audience...I've begin to wonder what kind of audience do DCP posters want to grow? Bring back the older alumni, bring in new kids, or bring in people like me (neither an alumni or kid)?

You are 100% right. I would like to see them publish complete minutes... After all, this is an NP. I think that some of the less popular proposals would not even get presented...

Although it would be informative to the general public, Publishing their minutes IMO would be a disater. To have to go under the microscope for every discussion I think would be so counter productive. Look at the leaked proposal, Who really knows for sure what may or may not have been in a truly refined proposal.Nonprofits need or should publish annual reports and answer to a BOD but to put that out for discussion to the general public , to me is opening a huge can of worms I believe nothing good would come out of it. What would it prove or show? Look at the differences of opinion on this site. I just dont se it serving any use. JMO