Just who *IS* this new audience we need to reach ...

I have to wonder if this person would have had the same reaction to our activity no matter what the content was. Did he wander into the theater to do an article on an activity that was taking up time from legitimate entertainemnt and WHY?

I remember some horrible reviews on Blast also. Some good but some saying it was nothing more tha HS band banging in the crudest form.

Would this writer have said the same if he heard show tunes, high steppin, or classical, did it matter?

I agree , great exposure from the average person or mainstream But you have to admit,anytime we expose ourselves to others many times they dont get even more why we chose to do this. Just a thought.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem is many in have focused so much on the 'band kids', who more often than not leave marching band behind after they graduate high school (and even more after college), and leave drum corps at the same time. At the same time, there has been little focus on customer retention. For the very long term, yes, you want to get the band kids, but at the same time, you have to keep those kids as they get older, as the minimal budgets of those band kids will not sustain drum corps if our entire audience is just a churn of band kids. We need to be retaining and recultivating the fans we've lost over the years. Those who are established in their careers and families, those who now can afford to sponsor individual corps, take their family to the show, become a member of friends of dci, etc. These are the people who will ultimately provide for the financial needs of the corps. And no, im not a part of this age range. I'm 25. But its not hard to figure out, its not smart business to put all your focus on the people who dont pay the bills, and completely disregard those that do.

that's been said a million times before Alex. the problem is, I don't think many of them listen

that's been said a million times before Alex. the problem is, I don't think many of them listen

Oh, they listen, Jeff. They just ignore the collective wisdom of thousands of "dinos" because they know better. Like amps, 150 MM's, synths, et al.

To succeed at the highest level, our entertainment choice needs to speak to the needs of the "Everyman," not just the purist. It's about grabbing the first of many ticket buys.

We're still not all on that same page.

Oh, they listen, Jeff. They just ignore the collective wisdom of thousands of "dinos" because they know better. Like amps, 150 MM's, synths, et al.

forget the drum corps purist aspect. it's common business sense. there's been books devoted to it.

I think they all see there is a problem. it's just that 7 think the way to fix it is one way, 16 think differently.

having run businesses and trying to keep one afloat in a bad economy, I'd pay to go sit in a DCI meeting and ask them some simple business 101 questions.

And as an activity, I think we're divided on if there is even a problem, much less how to address it.

Mike

Edited by Jeff Ream

I'd disagree, actually - look around in this forum and you'll see a lot of examples of folks saying "we don't want to end up with 20 corps playing Lady Gaga" as a reason to *not* appeal to the mainstream.

Mike

there is a happy medium in terms of musical selection....it's called a little bit of everything. believe it or not, i think this year was the closest to that approach since probably 1992.

which is funny, that was a great year for drum corps with good crowds. the last for a few years in fact