Madison Scouts 2011

95 by far was the biggest extended crowd "roar" I've ever heard at a DCI event. 92 VK had a huge reaction, but it was quick. 97 Scouts, as you mentioned, got the crowd but don't forget 99 either. It took the fans quite a while to settle back in after their hair was blown dry on that one long chord toward the end and that was a pretty solid screaming standing O at the end with the cross to star formation.

Was 1999 the "Jesus Christ Superstar" show? That one still gives me goosebumps (and I never even got to see it live)!

It definitely seems like this year's program is on track to match some of these past crowd-reaction highlights. I wish I could go to a show, but it looks like that's not in the cards this year, so it will have to be a "Fan Network" summer for me only.

Giant is Boston's corps song, sung by the members before each performance while standing arm in arm. The melody is from the 1957 James Dean movie "Giant", and the words were written by corps members sometime around 1962, I think. It is a very emotional piece, regarded as sacred by the corps members and alums.

The reverence with which Boston treats its corps song is another example of something these two drum corps have in common.

How many corps even have a corps song anymore?

almost all corps still have corps songs, and are either song by or played by the corps on regular occasions.

almost all corps still have corps songs, and are either song by or played by the corps on regular occasions.

I did not know that. The only corps I ever see sing their corps songs are Madison, Cadets, and Boston. Guess I should pay closer attention... :smile:

Uhhh, I think they already did that Friday night in Muncie - Cavvies, Crown Scouts etc.....

yep, and Scouts were behind Crown by 3 points there. So I'm curious to see if that 3 points holds or if the Scouts really have closed the gap as their rising scores seem to indicate. I have a feeling that the rising scores has a little to do with the fact that they have been the top dog at all of their shows since Muncie and that they will cap out tonight since Crown will be there over top of them. But hey, I've been known to be wrong on occasion. And if Madison has closed that gap, then we are gonna have one hell of a dogfight for 4th place right now Since Crown and Bluecoats are basically neck & neck (.4 on sat) and phantom was only a point down from Coats a couple weeks ago so they may still be in the mix. and with SCV right on their heels and BD only 1.65 ahead of PR on sunday this is shaping up to be a close battle in the upper groups. But it all hinges on how close Madison is to Crown tonight.

True... and unfortunately way too many Corps had swan songs too, if you get my drift.

I did not know that. The only corps I ever see sing their corps songs are Madison, Cadets, and Boston. Guess I should pay closer attention... :smile:

yeah, bluecoats sing and play Autumn Leaves all the time

SCV plays Send in the clowns at their encores (and I would assume other times)

Cavies play Somewhere over the rainbow at their encores

Glassmen Play or Sing Madre

and I don't remember all the other ones but I know Crown & PC both have songs, and Spirit I believe still plays Georgia (which I think is their song)

yep, and Scouts were behind Crown by 3 points there. So I'm curious to see if that 3 points holds or if the Scouts really have closed the gap as their rising scores seem to indicate. I have a feeling that the rising scores has a little to do with the fact that they have been the top dog at all of their shows since Muncie and that they will cap out tonight since Crown will be there over top of them. But hey, I've been known to be wrong on occasion. And if Madison has closed that gap, then we are gonna have one hell of a dogfight for 4th place right now Since Crown and Bluecoats are basically neck & neck (.4 on sat) and phantom was only a point down from Coats a couple weeks ago so they may still be in the mix. and with SCV right on their heels and BD only 1.65 ahead of PR on sunday this is shaping up to be a close battle in the upper groups. But it all hinges on how close Crown is to Madison tonight.

I have faith that it will be close but I think the Scouts have a better show and they are really performing it well. :thumbup:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Giant is Boston's corps song, sung by the members before each performance while standing arm in arm. The melody is from the 1957 James Dean movie "Giant", and the words were written by corps members sometime around 1962, I think. It is a very emotional piece, regarded as sacred by the corps members and alums.

The reverence with which Boston treats its corps song is another example of something these two drum corps have in common.

How many corps even have a corps song anymore?

"This corps is made of Giants, we will never die, for we are Crusaders, true blue Crusaders, we are Crusaders, corps we love. Corpsss Weee Loveee."