Madison Scouts 2011

Not trying to hate (or maybe I am, you tell me), but what is there in this show that people like besides Empire State of Mind? I won't lie, after seeing it live and watching on the Fan Network, ESoM (their arrangement of it)has been stuck in my head for the past three and a half days, but beyond that there's not much I remember about the show except thinking:

1. Nice tuba solo.

2. Oh, cool, the Slaughter intro. . . wait, now they're playing something different and kinda crappy.

3. Wow, they sure spend a lot of time running around the field with their horns at their sides.

4. Car noises and sirens. Ok, we get it, it's New York, but this all seems a little unnecessary.

5. This drum solo is going on forever. Oh, it's 9/11 now? That's borderline offensive and I don't really get it, but whatever.

And then ESoM starts and it's all good. Am I alone in thinking this show is utterly unremarkable aside from that chart? Full disclosure: I haven't really liked a Madison show since 2003 (although the "Uninvited" intro in '07 was pretty cool).

First of all, yes, you ARE "hating". Just like that boywonder guy (perhaps even worse than him). Second of all, the 9/11 portrayal...."offensive"? I guess that would also mean that any movie, any doccumentary and any book that either tells or portrays a story about the 9/11 event would also be offensive. And let's not stop there. How about our history books? Guess we should call all of the school boards and tell them to remove any indicator of 9/11, the Gulf War, Vietnam war. Speaking of those, let's boycott informative (yet graphic) films like Shindlers list. Heaven forbid we EVER portray an event where millions of people have lost their lives. Yes, I know, it's reality. But forget reality. We don't want to face reality. We want to live in a bubble where we are never reminded of those who have lost lives in our many wars. Yes folks, eliminate any memory of harsh reality. We don't like reality...just like how the above poster does not like the reality that Madison is beating his favorite corps(s).

Does this sound about right, "liebot"? By the way, that's a very appropriate name for you. "LIEbot" because clearly, you are desiring to ignore the real world around you and live in a rosy looking "lie". Maybe you should move to your own island so that you can be blind to war (and drum corps beating drum corps you like).

Ok, now seriously. 9/11 is an event that REALLY happened. What would be more offensive than doing a drum corps show ABOUT 9/11 is FORGETTING what happened on that day...which sadly, is what a lot of people in this country have done.

Put THAT post in your pipe and light it!

• Like 3

Fair enough gentlemen. Here's hoping your early season scoregasms feel just as good in August. We'll see.

:sad::sad::sad:

• Like 1

2. . . . wait, now they're playing something different and kinda crappy.

Sounded pretty good to my ears. In fact, I would say the hornline is

sounding better this year than they did last year. Or maybe you're saying

you don't like the arrangement of New York, New York? Oh well, to each their own.

• Like 2

Just so I am straight on this, if you do not love Madison's show, then you are a hater? Is that about right?

I don't feel that way at all. You like what you like. It's as simple as that.

But some people come across as hating when they use a certain tone or when they

use words like "crappy" to describe part of a show.

• Like 1

I don't feel that way at all. You like what you like. It's as simple as that.

But some people come across as hating when they use a certain tone or when they

use words like "crappy" to describe part of a show.

Yeah, exactly. If you don't see the word "crappy" as "hateful", I don't know what your definition would be.

• Like 2

Yeah, exactly. If you don't see the word "crappy" as "hateful", I don't know what your definition would be.

Not only that, but it lowers a poster's credibility when they use words like that

to describe a show. If he had said "I didn't care for the arrangement", or "the baritones had timing

issues", that would be all well and good. But when you basically say it was "crappy"

or "they sucked"....kind of makes you look like an amatuer.

Just so I am straight on this, if you do not love Madison's show, then you are a hater? Is that about right?

Not necessarily. It's all about the words you use. I do see a rise in Blue Stars honks feeling the need to crap on the Scout's newfound success this year though.

• Like 2

Not necessarily. It's all about the words you use. I do see a rise in Blue Stars honks feeling the need to crap on the Scout's newfound success this year though.

Which is too bad. The Blue Stars where always a classy organization in my day. And REALLY good too. I wish them nothing but success!

• Like 1