Pioneer

Wow. There is not one "correct" way to march. There is not one "correct" way to run a drumcorps. If this was the way the world worked drumcorps would be a very boring activity. Anyone who thinks that "their" system is the only one that works, probably should not be instructing students. Yes there is a specific style and method that I teach, but I fully understand that there are other ways that work as well. Of course, I have never been affiliated with a top twelve corps, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Z

Pioneer Bari/euph 94-98

Wow. There is not one "correct" way to march. There is not one "correct" way to run a drumcorps. If this was the way the world worked drumcorps would be a very boring activity. Anyone who thinks that "their" system is the only one that works, probably should not be instructing students. Yes there is a specific style and method that I teach, but I fully understand that there are other ways that work as well. Of course, I have never been affiliated with a top twelve corps, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Z

Pioneer Bari/euph 94-98

In the end it is the one that wins that is the one that works the best.

That is why we keep score.

All right. Thanks for the heated debate, but belittling each other isn't what this post is about.

I appreciate the debate, but when it comes down to remarks to call each other out, that is not acceptable. Let's either grow up or shut up.

Anyways...How bout that Pioneer?

Better Everyday!

Z

Pioneer Bari/euph 94-98

I agree with this. People seem to want to criticize Pioneer about their instructors, their infrastructure, their competitive success, and little things down to the hats they wear on the field. In a perfect world, yes, I would like to see Pioneer make that jump into semi-finals and even top 12. But there is more to drum and bugle corps than placement, and as far as providing a good experience for its members, and fielding a competitive corps every season, Pioneer has succeeded. When I marched in 2009, we put together a great program and while we did not make semi-finals, we finished higher than last place, which was a good accomplishment within itself. I could sit here and list all the corps that have made finals in the past and are no longer with us. Competitive success is not the only indicator of a successful corps. Nowadays, any organization that is able to field a corps in this economic climate is successful, IMO. I am personally excited to see what Pioneer brings to the field in 2011, I feel it will be an excellent show.

Edited by scsudrummer

SCV is a 7th place drumcorps. I provided proof that the dot only philosophy does not work. [ 18.6, 18.4 ]

Roman had a chance to bring someone in who won DCI. You know what he did?

He turned him down. That is a fact. Why did Roman turn him down? Because if he did Roman would have lost some control. Now Madison will win DCI instead of Pioneer.

You must be trolling [ahem] kidding, right?

• Like 1

I am not joking. Sit back and watch Madison win DCI very soon. I predicted that this would happen within 3 years and that was a little over a year ago. At the time , when Madison was a 15th place corps people laughed at me. They are not laughing anymore as Madison just might break into the top 6 in 2011.

Why will Madison win DCI?

Because they brought in the right people, the very people that Roman could have had teaching Pioneer.

Edited by Howdy

The previously mentioned "go to the dot " philosophy is not working:

I rest my case.

Be well,

Michael

What place did SCV get last year? 7th? The other "dot" corps (Cavaliers) got what, 2nd?

Right. So, the dot system is apparently not working because there was a person out of a form in that clip. You can find examples of that from every corps, dot or not. It is obvious you do not understand how the whole dot system works. It seems to be working rather well for the style of drill that both corps do.

Now what was this thread about again? :blink:

Yes they do, actually.

Oh boy, what was this thread?

I'm not sure about 1980, but shows from around '87 onwards to about 2000 seem to have the greatest balance between cleanest forms and difficulty, imho. Some of the forms today are sloppy; I also see too many people out of step.

Again, I'm not sure this is the thread topic, but wth....

SCV is a 7th place drumcorps. I provided proof that the dot only philosophy does not work. [ 18.6, 18.4 ]

Roman had a chance to bring someone in who won DCI. You know what he did?

He turned him down. That is a fact. Why did Roman turn him down? Because if he did Roman would have lost some control. Now Madison will win DCI instead of Pioneer.

You have no right to even think about calling out SCV for finishing 7th last year. The year before, they were 5th. They've won 6 championships. When and where did you march? Obviously not at SCV, because we have a tendency of putting out individuals who have a little thing called CLASS. It seems like you're missing it. And if I seem ###### about this, it's because I am. I try and stay out of conversations like this, but seriously? Calling out my corps and my home because of PLACEMENT? It's not about the placements! It's about the experiences. Yeah, I'd rather have my summer of 2009 than the championship in 2009, I feel like I got more out of 09, made better friends, and made more memories. It's about the memories, not the placement at the end of the year.

• Like 4

On another note, I say go Pinoeer! Keep doing what you're doing! They have a mission in place, and they do it perfectly. They provide quality instruction for anyone who walks through the door, regardless of past experience. That's amazing. That's what people should be looking at, when they talk about the loss of community drum corps. That's what Pioneer is, they take any kid that wants to march, and gives them the summer of their life. I say Congrats to them for going out and doing this every year, and I hope to see them again back on the road this summer.

• Like 1