Pioneer

In response to this thread in general:

I have been a part of the Pioneer Family for several years now (both as a member and staff). Many of the opinions expressed here are based on very limited knowledge (if any) of the corps' internal operations. The answer to Pioneer moving up in rank is not as simple as "loosing the hats" or "stop going to church" or "getting rid of the plaid". These are all minute details in the whole grand scheme of things. Now, there are some very valid suggestions in this thread, but I hope everyone understands that it is much easier said than done. Implementing changes on this scale is not something that just happens over night... it takes a lot of preparation, hard work, and time. Several changes were discussed and implemented through out this past season, which (as I hope many have seen) took the corps a step in the right direction. Pioneer plans to continue on this path forward and grow more each season. Whatever your view is on this matter, I hope you understand that Pioneer is a great organization. Is it perfect? No... but all corps have areas with room for improvement. All I know for sure, is that Pioneer has given me the 4 best summers of my life that I wouldn't trade for anything, and I am forever grateful to Pioneer (and Roman) for that! I look forward to hopefully continuing with Pioneer on it's path forward.

"Better Every Day",

JTarka

Glad to hear it, and good luck to Pioneer on their journey. As we say the future is now, and hopefully with the changes planned the Pioneer's future is very bright.

Interesting perspective...except for one thing. At 69 years of age, Roman may no longer be that permanent fixture with Pioneer. Insurance actuaries would back this claim.

So, tweaking huh? That's it? Interesting perspective.

I'd say your idea of what Pioneers goals should be vs what they think are different. Winning has always been a matter of things that change by degrees. A little harder drill, a few more talented kids, a more experienced guard. That falls easily under the category of tweaking.

Nothing is forever, some day Roman will step down and someone else will take over. (Maybe Roman III?) I dont see why you and others are in such a rush to throw out the whole program and Roman along with it to chase after something that only a handful of groups achieve anyway.

They are on the field doing their best entertaining crowds and providing a great experience for the members. Corps too numerous to mention have gone away forever after shooting their wads on trying to make it into the elite group. If more corps and their directors were like Pioneer and Roman it would be a better activity. It USED to be that way.

I'd say your idea of what Pioneers goals should be vs what they think are different. Winning has always been a matter of things that change by degrees. A little harder drill, a few more talented kids, a more experienced guard. That falls easily under the category of tweaking.

Nothing is forever, some day Roman will step down and someone else will take over. (Maybe Roman III?) I dont see why you and others are in such a rush to throw out the whole program and Roman along with it to chase after something that only a handful of groups achieve anyway.

They are on the field doing their best entertaining crowds and providing a great experience for the members. Corps too numerous to mention have gone away forever after shooting their wads on trying to make it into the elite group. If more corps and their directors were like Pioneer and Roman it would be a better activity. It USED to be that way.

Where have you been through this entire thread?! Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about?! Learn from it people!

He said tweaking. Haha.

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about?! Learn from it people!

I happen to agree with him but you might consider being more recpectful of the opinions that don't happen to align with yours.

I saw first hand the efforts to try to get an organization into a coveted Finalist spot with not a lot of foresight on whether the organization as a whole could sustain the effort.

No corps operates in a vaccum and Pioneer competitevely is a premire organization competing in a premire league with other premire organizations.

Suggestions to the effect of Pioneer should just go back to Open class or try harder are rather annoying IMHO.

I would like to compliment them for being sucessful at remaining an active and competetive drum corps which means a lot considering the sheer number of corps we have lost in the past.

Edited by Joe Salvatore

Say what you want, competitive success is important in a competitive activity to avoid stagnation and build interest. I'm not saying Pioneer has to win DCI, but at some point I do think they need to be able to compete at least a little within their own tier, something they have yet to be able to do for several years. If a little tweaking every year for the next few years gets them there than great, but as I've said before without getting rid of Roman it will be like tweaking the tuning on a guitar with a warped neck. Get a new neck.

Edited by BozzlyB

Maybe Pioneer should go all age and join DCA!

m

Maybe Pioneer should go all age and join DCA!
aybe, since you seem to have all of the answers, you should volunteer for Pio and give them the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

I happen to agree with him but you might consider being more recpectful of the opinions that don't happen to align with yours.

I saw first hand the efforts to try to get an organization into a coveted Finalist spot with not a lot of foresight on whether the organization as a whole could sustain the effort.

No corps operates in a vaccum and Pioneer competitevely is a premire organization competing in a premire league with other premire organizations.

Suggestions to the effect of Pioneer should just go back to Open class or try harder are rather annoying IMHO.

I would like to compliment them for being sucessful at remaining an active and competetive drum corps which means a lot considering the sheer number of corps we have lost in the past.

I will take that into consideration and hopefully everyone else will too......! The advice and things you learn on DCP are endless.....