What direction will BD take in 2011?

Guy cheerleaders don't use pom poms.

I am a guy.

Maybe it's my uber cheesy megaphone that's getting worn out...

guy_cheerleader.jpg

Maybe uber cheesy megaphones will be legal next year...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Mingus show would also be cool.

i like this idea, a lot. Maybe give Haitian Fight Song a proper treatment, without watering down every other note..... (Bluecoats '09 comes to mind :tongue: ) I've played it before, and it sure didn't sound like that. I'd like to see a corps like BD do it. If anyone could, it would be them. Just as long as they did it while doing crazy hard drill while playing the 16th note passages. Then I'd be happy.

I don't recall a time up until this season....where DCI was so interested in what the fans are thinking. Why are we not growing the fanbase.....why do fans stop going to shows........the round table discussions at some of the regional events so DCI can engage and get a feel for what DCI fans thoughts and concerns are. All new stuff.....

Something is definitely not looking great in the eyes of the top folks running DCI......

exactly. they know and see it...they may even ....gasp...see it on DCP.

and most likely they see it in the checkbook

Hmmm..BD sucks.

Does that make it all better?

:tongue:

no because they don't suck. they just bore people

no because they don't suck. they just bore people

So they don't suck, what they choose to do sucks. What a difference.

Well, unless we continue to function under the pretense that they're mindless automatons completely oblivious to the BD aesthetic for the past several years, and forced to do the will of the evil and dastardly staff under penalty of pain and death.

New uniform concept based on that:

3436934_f260.jpg

Don Ellis Portrait with some 2000s drill would be amazing!

Exactly. Or at least something like that.

BD 2010 was a lot like BD 91 to me, but the music was much more emphasized in 91, IMO.

For the record, BD 2010 wouldn't even make my top 10 BD shows right now, and it's not one I'll be listening to by itself pretty much ever. But there's a difference between saying you don't care for something and saying that it only appeals to insert anecdotally tallied number or percentage here people, or that BD is a copier, or any number of revolting things that come up over and over again.

But yeah, I would like to see/hear BD 2011 do friendlier music without losing bad###ness.

But yeah, I would like to see/hear BD 2011 do friendlier music without losing bad###ness.

Exactly! I really think that's what a lot of people want. I know that's what I would really love to see. BD being BD. Being complete badasses, but providing us a show that's fun, and I can listen to over and over again. Look at 2006. Great, very familiar music, but still them bein the Blue Devils.

Would you mind showing me one example here on this site that does exactly this ???

G

Here's one

So let me get this straight, you're proposing a "challenge" for the most winningest corp in DCI history, the back-to-back undefeated world champions that haven't lost a show since finals of 2008? Instead, how about you "challenge" the other 11 corps that make it to finals to actually beat BD next year? How about you "challenge" Blue Coats to bounce back from their snooze-fest 2010 production and make a show fit for a World Class 3rd place corp and NOT make a world class high school show? Or would you rather see more shows like MAD WORLD? (Which scored 1.15 points lower than BD's prop filled show). As much as I'd like to go on about how boring most of the shows were this year and how I think this was one of the worst overall years in a long time, I won't, because I'd really like to get to Ghost's "challenge".

"Go out in 2011 and present a more traditional Drum & Bugle Corps show." I wish you could clarify what you mean by that. Cause a "traditional" drum corp show is exactly what I don't want to see. Ask the Madison Scouts and Troopers how "traditional" shows have worked for them. For better or worse the newer rules that DCI has implemented have forced corps to change the way shows are designed, which has forced corps to try new things, i.e. 2008 & 2010 BD. If you want to stay in the past, get a subscription to FanNetwork, the rest of us will be looking forward to the 2011 season.

BD is BY FAR the most disliked/hated corp in DCI and it's because they're so progressive. BD's show this year was light years ahead of the other corps and I'd laugh out loud after watching the crowd respond to their performances, because they'd just sit there and clap just to be polite. The Cadets come out with their cute little drum major Jeffery and act all innocent and golly gee and the crowd ATE IT UP. Then BD comes out and plays opposing melodies and the drum line is playing a ton of notes, then it build to La Suerte (Wow, nothing AT ALL traditional about BD playing La Suerte) and then goes right back to what they do better than anyone else, an interesting show. How is a crowd that wants Little Jeffery gonna react to that? Whatever.

There have been others, but you just asked for one, so I will let other people provide other examples if they wish.

But at least INeverMarched put himself out there honestly. Even more plentiful are the passive aggressive "I love you even though you are a hater" type responses to anyone who has the audacity to say they didn't enjoy the programming choice this year. Not to mention the cheap shots and troll baiting disguised as positive comments like "oh be careful saying something nice, you'll make the haters mad" that seem to pop up early in threads intended to be positive.

As a longtime fan with no particular affiliation with any corps, I don't enjoy reading repetitive attacks on any organization particularly if they are devoid of insight or good intentions, but it disturbs me that there is so frequently an instant backlash to people who express a concern about BD's design choices and their potential impact on the activity, and such a zealous obsession with labeling them as haters. To me, that's a very bad thing to be accused of, and the carelessness with which some people do it and the weak arguments they use to justify it is disheartening.

But I will probably be called a hater for saying this of course. The fact that I am a longtime fan of BD and liked their musical program this year and encouraged people to give it a chance will probably not save me from that fate. :tongue: