What direction will BD take in 2011?

But yeah, I would like to see/hear BD 2011 do friendlier music without losing bad###ness.

Yes!

Bad### is a corps competency. :tongue:

And I have no problem with envelopes being pushed that fit with their strengths and style. I don't believe it's impossible to do both.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well no kidding Cali had huge attendance Sherlock......huge population out there, never had finals before...doesn't take a brain surgeon or upper primate to get that!

yet I believe Bloomington did have decent attendance, tho people were ###### they weren't going to be in the echo dome and bailed....and those that did go did see one of the most exciting finals races of all time.

and no, not everyone went avant garde this year...but...follow me here, this may require you to be logical....past abuses turn fans away. most fans that attenda finals have already made their decision and/or purchases. so, if continued boredom/irritation/whatever you call it with the product has affected their desire to go.....they're not going next year. boom, done.

so for all of the great stuff out there ( IMO 10 of 12 shows) this past year, the damage from previous years has already taken affect. add in the economy...and you have a drop of roughly 10k fans in 4 years.

I look at the Friends list in this year's programs...I see many founders long gone from my last year in the program 8 years ago....and I know they aren't dead. They got tired of going to see that which they didn't like. Sometimes all it took was an unpopluar champion. Face it, the winner is the face of the organization....and an unpopular champion can indeed be bad for business

First of all Jeff, you need to let go of the "primate gag" huh? It's time. People will start thinking you have self actualization issues. :tongue:

This kind of doomsday rhetoric that you and others trot out all the time, makes DCP more and more irrelevant. It's as if you need the activity to fail to justify your fuzzy logic. You and others claim "damage" and identify culprits (obviously through your years of knowing the pulse of the activity :worthy: ). You (and others on this very thread) talk about friends and others who don't go to shows anymore. Well...someone's going!! Now what this does is interesting....you need DCI to fail to prove your point and you even announce it as much as you can (no matter how flimsy your evidence). It's a bit like trying to "scare it straight".

This is a common response to a changing activity...the old decide it mustn't change and define what will happen if it does, then they gather together for strength in numbers and begin a process of willing it to fail...it's really quite pathetic to watch.

Unfortunately for you and the others, DCI (or Drum Corps in some form) will be fine. The youth coming up who are just entering Jr High's first marching band experience and admire/love drum corps, will be part it and they will make it what they will. No manner of old farts will stop them.

Perhaps it's time for someone to pin your name to your sweater and drop you off at the dog track! :tongue:

i like this idea, a lot. Maybe give Haitian Fight Song a proper treatment, without watering down every other note..... (Bluecoats '09 comes to mind :tongue: ) I've played it before, and it sure didn't sound like that. I'd like to see a corps like BD do it. If anyone could, it would be them. Just as long as they did it while doing crazy hard drill while playing the 16th note passages. Then I'd be happy.

That would be legit.

Or, given last season's penchant for exploring weird sounds (that worked very well in the dome) and for taking one classic jazz album and pushing it to the brink, it'd be interesting to see them tackle Black Saint and Sinner Lady.

Actually that would be awesome.

Or, given last season's penchant for exploring weird sounds (that worked very well in the dome) and for taking one classic jazz album and pushing it to the brink, it'd be interesting to see them tackle Black Saint and Sinner Lady.

Actually that would be awesome.

They can only do this *if* there's no synth bass -- all bass parts played by tubas please.

They can only do this *if* there's no synth bass -- all bass parts played by tubas please.

Ha! Good luck...

I actually don't support that. If I had the chance to support the sound of a string bass with something other than a tuba, I'd take it.

I think that's all they're doing: letting a tuba be a tuba, and giving the specific responsibilities of the string bass -- which are not the same as those of the tuba, in jazz -- to someone else.

Nothing wrong with diversifying the composition of the bass line.

Seriously, I'd like a truly virtuoso brass chart like from 91 or 93 but with a substantial visual update that's possible in the 00s.

Based on the last few years, it is most likely that they again write what is essentially an original composition based on some particular music. Some major phrases will be recognized as the source, others will not. Some will complain they "chopped" up the original, others will delight that they made it into something original. That just leaves me to wonder what music their show will be based on...

Coincidentally, Wayne Downey recently asked all of his Facebook friends to help him aquire an older, out of print recording of a piece of music with "blue" in the title...Now, Wayne writes for a lot of people, but...Hmmmm...

Coincidentally, Wayne Downey recently asked all of his Facebook friends to help him aquire an older, out of print recording of a piece of music with "blue" in the title...Now, Wayne writes for a lot of people, but...Hmmmm...

Heh.

That would be a cool show, if only to hope for a certain old standard he (the composer in question Wayne is looking for) made popular as the ballad.