Indianapolis Attendance

Come on Fran - the King of Announcers should be good at this.

Honestly, I have no idea.

I haven't taken attendance since high school. :tongue:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is I won't be back to Indianapolis. The acoustics were terrible and in my opinion the shows have gotten way too involved. I only enjoyed a few corps at Finals this year.

All I know is I won't be back to Indianapolis. The acoustics were terrible and in my opinion the shows have gotten way too involved. I only enjoyed a few corps at Finals this year.

And that pretty much sums up how many people feel about today's drum corps activity.

Here is a different take on why there might be so few people attending DCI Finals in recent years:

If you live in TX, LA, or NM and can see 'all' of the WC corps in San Antonio, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, or FL and you can see 'all' of the WC corps in Atlanta, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northeast and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Allentown, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northern middle States, and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Minneapolis, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

The topic has almost been beaten to death, but I honestly don't think this is the issue. We had strong crowds in Denver, Pasadena, Madison, and even Bloomington all while this same regional schedule has been in place.

I strongly believe it has much more to do with the fact that finals is in a single location repeatedly, and that it, more importantly, is in an enclosed stadium with poor accoustics, and with all it's mini-levels is very isolating and not a very communal experience. LOS is just a bad stadium for championships. Quarterfinals was embarassingly sparsely attended, and I can only imagine it will get worse.

Certainly, the shows in a given year can have an effect (I.E. the drawing power Phantom in 2003 and 2008 had with people openly saying they werent' going to championships until they saw those shows), but I think that is a far lesser issue than the location & stadium.

Just my 2 cents, thought this topic feels like it is in the wrong forum?

Harvey

And that pretty much sums up how many people feel about today's drum corps activity.

but say that like i have elsewhere and people mock you

We were in section 437 Fri and Sat evenings. The section was full both nights. I tried to find a seat count for section 437 but no luck. If DCPers list their section, the dates and say full, 3/4 full, 1/2 full, then you might get an idea of attendance. I was too busy watching the corps and forgot to count seats ;-)

138 i'd say 85% full, but many lower than me seemed to be kids from corps not performing

441 was full. From there I could see a few quieter areas further out towards the end zones. I think the 15K guestimate is about right.

I've seen photos from previous years taken from back field which clearly show how busy things were.

Here is a different take on why there might be so few people attending DCI Finals in recent years:

If you live in TX, LA, or NM and can see 'all' of the WC corps in San Antonio, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, or FL and you can see 'all' of the WC corps in Atlanta, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northeast and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Allentown, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northern middle States, and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Minneapolis, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

Or... you can see mostly everyone on the big screen for QF, too. I think if I could afford the spectacle and time, I'd think about it, but I can't. The distance is also a consideration for me.

And I haven't made East the last 2-3 years, even though it's close. Either other events in the way, work schedule kind of sticks in there, or... the big issue for me is that if you don't grab tickets on day one when they're offered, you end up in 20 yard boonie-land. Can't be bothered sitting that offset because of the timing issues. I just don't know what I'll be up to that date in February, LOL.

Watch the catwalk cam on the fan network and you can see most of the crowd. Though fans were seated end zone to end zone, there were a lot of empty seats.