You know drum corps is dying when.............

Those many defensive responses it is arousing can't be so much based on anger as they are on denial, similar to the moment a patient gets bad news from a physician ... You've struck the elusive nerve with sheer truth, and as concisely as a John Donne sonnet.

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so

For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow

Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me...

Or maybe the death of drum corps won't be so bad.

Excellent, Brigand. And I like this one, in light of what has happened since those heady pre-1971 years:

... bare ruined choirs where late the sweet birds sang.

From Donne to Shakespeare, eh?

This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong,

To love that well, which thou must leave ere long.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be dying to you...but to this n00bie bando it has only begun to come alive.

To that group of preteens/early teen kids, standing on the platform, after the Atlanta show, waiting for the train, talking about how they can't wait to march for BD, Cavies, etc drum corps is not dying for them.

To that group of tenured fans of DCI who have supported the activity a long time talking about how 'I am not attending this show next season......because I was bored' and 'What a terrible waste of excellent talent with a show like that'........

It might not be the drum corps of your past, but it is the drum corps of their future.

If DCI doesn't retain it's fanbase.......their wont be much of a future (with the current DCI model)

Will their life lessons, learned at the hands of drum corps, be any less than yours because - they played a different keyed instrument, marched in a different style, or performed a show not to your liking?

Would the current members experience and life lessons be any less if they do not use amps, electronics and narration ?

Does that mean the old drums corps is any less relevant than the new style, NO - just means all things must evolve or they die.

Things must evolve.....but DCI has evolved to much and to fast....and if the quick evolution pace continues.....DCI will not represent anything that it was

I hope I can age in the Drum Corps world as I am attempting to in life - with grace.

I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy DCI for a longtime........

It is ok to dislike a particular show, and that does not mean you have to dislike that corps or drum corps as a whole.

Winner !!! We agree :laughing::tongue:

I simply responded to your post to show you.......they are many ways the activity is viewed......by current fans. Many (Like myself) who have been around a while....feel like our support and ideas have fallen on deaf ears......for quite some time now.

Edited by Triple Forte

The problem with all you little young egomaniacal kiddies is that you don't have any reference to compare "Then" with "Now" because yall WERE NOT ALIVE AND IN EXISTENCE back when we were marching and/or attending shows. Yall just dont get it. We've seen it all in person in the flesh, old and new. We know what was then and what is now. There's just absolutely no comparison with the excitement and passion level in those stadiums comparing then with now. Technically more difficult now, but that's about it. Nowhere near as entertaining. Not even close. And you can't FEEL that excitement level by watching old dvd's and tapes. You had to be there to understand.

Only the non-stop movement up tempo asymetrical drill is an improvement.

Drum and Bugle Corps then used to be like college football games with wild clapping, yelling and standing ovations. Now we get polite "Golf Clapping."

We could walk out of the shows humming the show songs. Try that now. Aint happening because it's mostly off the wall and unrecognizable music. (Except maybe to college music majors)

Real flag and rifle Guard work is all but extinct, replaced by theatrical dancing, prancing and emoting. How cute.

Distracting, wretched excess overblown Pits. Amps. Mics. Synths. Strings. Singing. Narration. Distracting props galore. Themed story telling shows. B flat brass. Overpriced tickets with ludicrous Ticketmaster surcharges.

Snare drums that sound like formica counter tops. Tenors that sound like empty Folgers coffee cans. Bass drums that sound like HBCU vertical tenor drums. Monkey drumming. Karate kicks and folded arms posturing.

In other words, the activity is NOT entertaining to most of us T-Rex's. Were not bitter, just supremely upset that what we used to love has been taken away for no logical rhyme or reason. And hey kiddies, don't tell us what we should and shouldn't like........

We can debate music for eternity but IMO as far as drill..wayyy superior now and as far as guard great stuff back in the day as far as some spinning but far superior as far as total package now. I just looked at some of my old videos from the 70 s and early 80s and yes some great guard MOMENTS...but thats just what it was MOMENTS. OH , and yes I marched back in those days too. here's to ALL who have contributed to OUR activity early on and now. :laughing:

You know drum corps is dying when……………

You replace your marching instructor with a choreographer.

You try to improve your front line sound by buying a new amp

You publish your repertoire and you play no RECOGNISABLE songs from it

You feel the need to amplify your soloists

You have to make room in the food truck for the 30 tons of props you are hauling around the country

The fans are in the stands complaining that they have to wait for an “exciting” corps……..And they are at the World Finals!!!

You have to make room in your corps budget for MICROPHONES

It stops being about the corps members and becomes all about the corps administration ego

It stops being about horns, drums and pageantry and more about a stage production

You cancel a show because your singer lost her voice.

Your "The Who" theme show involves smashing your amp at the end.

You ditch your Navy oxford shoes for jazz slippers.

You have more brass on the field than ever and still need amplification.

Your field show cures insomnia.

Your drum line cannot execute a single rudiment but moves like Cirque du Soleil.

Your color guard makes male figure skaters look brawny, rugged, and manly in comparison.

Jazz Running?

Your drum major doesn't use a baton or a mace but yells, "Plug it in!"

to start the show.

Your drum corps auditions includes a voice lesson

Your music is not recognizable ……….. by anyone

High mark time marching is unique and original

someone hears DCI and thinks of old Titleist irons.

there are more people in the pit than on the field.

rain cancels a show for fear of electrical problems.

judges give recaps like Bruno Tonioli critiquing a celebrity on "Dancing With the Stars."

drills look like a strand of DNA.

the music you play is so obscure the composers forgot they wrote it.

You hear comments like “I play third violin for the Troopers.”

You think WGI is the bomb but never heard of drum corps.

A soloist blames cracked notes on his #### reed being too dry.

They give I&E medals to flute and saxophone performances!

They start referring to drum corps as BAND!

You are a lifelong drum corps nut and you actually question whether you want to go a competition

You mention the 27th Lancers, North Star, Freelancers, or the Muchachos to “a drum corps fan” and they say “Who?”

The goal of the corps directors is to win a Tony Award

Your show requires an MC to explain what is going on.

The crowd as a whole does not yell and scream anymore during the performance.

People start to compare drum corps sound to that of a concert band

The corps is concerned with conveying nuance rather than giving “that chill”

Can any one think of more?

You know drum corps is dying when……………

You replace your marching instructor with a choreographer.

You try to improve your front line sound by buying a new amp

You publish your repertoire and you play no RECOGNISABLE songs from it

You feel the need to amplify your soloists

You have to make room in the food truck for the 30 tons of props you are hauling around the country

The fans are in the stands complaining that they have to wait for an “exciting” corps……..And they are at the World Finals!!!

You have to make room in your corps budget for MICROPHONES

It stops being about the corps members and becomes all about the corps administration ego

It stops being about horns, drums and pageantry and more about a stage production

You cancel a show because your singer lost her voice.

Your "The Who" theme show involves smashing your amp at the end.

You ditch your Navy oxford shoes for jazz slippers.

You have more brass on the field than ever and still need amplification.

Your field show cures insomnia.

Your drum line cannot execute a single rudiment but moves like Cirque du Soleil.

Your color guard makes male figure skaters look brawny, rugged, and manly in comparison.

Jazz Running?

Your drum major doesn't use a baton or a mace but yells, "Plug it in!"

to start the show.

Your drum corps auditions includes a voice lesson

Your music is not recognizable ……….. by anyone

High mark time marching is unique and original

someone hears DCI and thinks of old Titleist irons.

there are more people in the pit than on the field.

rain cancels a show for fear of electrical problems.

judges give recaps like Bruno Tonioli critiquing a celebrity on "Dancing With the Stars."

drills look like a strand of DNA.

the music you play is so obscure the composers forgot they wrote it.

You hear comments like “I play third violin for the Troopers.”

You think WGI is the bomb but never heard of drum corps.

A soloist blames cracked notes on his #### reed being too dry.

They give I&E medals to flute and saxophone performances!

They start referring to drum corps as BAND!

You are a lifelong drum corps nut and you actually question whether you want to go a competition

You mention the 27th Lancers, North Star, Freelancers, or the Muchachos to “a drum corps fan” and they say “Who?”

The goal of the corps directors is to win a Tony Award

Your show requires an MC to explain what is going on.

The crowd as a whole does not yell and scream anymore during the performance.

People start to compare drum corps sound to that of a concert band

The corps is concerned with conveying nuance rather than giving “that chill”

Can any one think of more?

[quote name='perc2100' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:45 AM' post='2927397I agree that these types of posts are little more than trolling from bitter has-beens (or never-was)

So then, anyone who expresses bitterness over the disappearance of nearly one thousand drum and bugle corps and their related fanbases and all the nearby hometown competitions and the disenfranchisement of anyone today who has neither the money or the connections to be part of today's drum-and-brass-band activity automatically labels that person as a trolling has-been, or worse, a trolling never-was, and with the implication therewith that person has absolutely nothing to offer the current participants . Got it.

It isn't "all about the kids", it's about all the kids.