No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

The residents have to be considered....DCA is in THEIR back yard....not yours.

More like their front yard from the area I'm familiar with.

And let's not forget the trashed up parking lot fiasco from a few years back. Last #### thing DCA is another black eye with Rochester.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering I always think of certain sections of Harrisburg when I see the section of town behind the stands...... Don't think the peole who live there get a Hell of a lot of the benefit of the money DCA or anything else that is done in the stadium.

Thinking back I've done after shows concerts, but can't remember any in residential areas. Aquinas/Hollender Stadium fer instance....

Allow me to repeat what I posted in the same thread Taters started:

"Sorry, Ken....I have to back Jeff here. It's not JUST DCA that uses the facility....it's used for soccer and likely for a lot of other events...and if people aren't cleared out, the residents have to suffer...and I'd guess with people a LOT less entertaining than listening to a Sr corps let 'er rip one last time.

The residents have to be considered....DCA is in THEIR back yard....not yours.

If this were held at Jack Murphy Stadium (Quallcomm for the non-native San Diegans among you), it wound't be an issue, since the nearest house is at least a half a mile away and up a large hill....that is NOT the case at Paetek Park.

It WAS an issue at the Rose Bowl....which is ALSO in a residential area...one reason why we alums couldn't play for BD at the busses. Had I known that in advance, I wouldn't've missed the encore run and gone to my car to get my sop.

Yeah, it sucks not to do the parking lot show....it was a blast to be able to let loose one last time....but get a grip....it's not about you, the corps, or DCA as a whole....it's about the residents who LIVE there and who have had to deal with the disruptions to their evenings ever since the facility was built."

Lee....take off your drum corps hat and put on your lawyer hat for a bit....what would you be pleading if you represented the local residents if this were to go to trial?? The discovery process alone would likely show enough late evening usage of Paetek to justify the concern. Can you really get a jury to side against the residents here?

Sam, your rationale here is ludicrous. If I were mayor of Rochester, I would be thanking DCA from the bottom my my heart, and I would be smart enough to tell the Rochester residents that in exchange for one loud weekend a year, we get hundreds of thousands of dollars pumped into our economy. These guys appear to be just as stupid about the economic ramifications of the DCA Championships as Scranton was.

Please understand, I am not just going to rant and rave here on DCP. I am going to personally to tell this to the Mayor - if he doesn't like what I have to say, he can go jump in a lake.

Lee

I seriously hope you aren't serious about talking to the mayor in person...A DCA corps does also represent DCA as a whole entity, and I would hate to see any relations between DCA and Rochester (a drum corps town) suffer because of one representative of one DCA corps.

I seriously hope you aren't serious about talking to the mayor in person...A DCA corps does also represent DCA as a whole entity, and I would hate to see any relations between DCA and Rochester (a drum corps town) suffer because of one representative of one DCA corps.

I am serious, I am planning on speaking for no one but myself, and I am stunned that anyone in a DCA corps would seriously consider staying quiet about this nonsense.

The corps works hard all year, and we should sit quietly by and obey some silly rule that takes away one of the most special moments of the entire season? Are we on a sitcom? Did you miss the part where we gave the Rochester economy hundreds of thousands of dollars? Screw this city administration if that is their attitude towards the corps. If I am the only one willing to speak up about this, so be it.

One mayor, however ridiculous, is only ONE MAN.

THE CITY OF ROCHESTER has been nothing but welcoming and appreciative of our shows, and has been a most gracious host. Those of us who were marching in the Scranton days know the difference, yes?

I've had GREAT fun every year I've marched DCA finals in Rochester (except MAYBE for the '06 hurricane, but even THAT was better than Scranton!) and am almost afraid for DCA to go anywhere else......the only other DCA venue I've been to personally was Syracuse in 2001, I was there with the Renegades minicorps and was a spectator for the rest of it but I thought Syracuse was OK.

And I certainly would agree with above poster that attempting to personally contact this mayor and potentially bruise DCA's relationship with Rochester would be a grave mistake, but honestly guys Lee is a VERY brilliant man and I can't envision him doing anything remotely that stupid. (EDIT: Just read from a back post that Lee intends to do just that? WTF Lee? Am I reading this right?)

Having said all of that, I have to agree that a few more minutes of music in the parking lots after the show IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK AFTER BRINGING ALL SORTS OF DOLLARS INTO THEIR COMMUNITY.

Edited by ContraRich77

You may want to mention the East End Fest that they have once a month during June to August (at least I hope they still have that). I played in a band that played that gig and we played into the night with (dare I say on a DCA forum) amps. You may want to mention that if you're talking to the Mayor. I never saw police shutting us down.

Sam, your rationale here is ludicrous. If I were mayor of Rochester, I would be thanking DCA from the bottom my my heart, and I would be smart enough to tell the Rochester residents that in exchange for one loud weekend a year, we get hundreds of thousands of dollars pumped into our economy.

Again...DCA is NOT the only event to use the facility...so it's not "one loud weekend a year," and residents don't care how many dollars hit the city coffers if they have to deal with multiple events late at night when they're trying to sleep.

The Mayor's answerable to those who put him in office, not to a relatively small group of people who breeze in for "one loud weekend" from out of town/across the country.

The residents were there first...they have a voice and you are ignoring it....do you REALLY think this restriction came out of the blue and not as a result of local resident complaints?? Do you REALLY think this restriction only applies to DCA?

Frankly, I'd advise you to not go berserk...because it doesn't matter if you claim to represent only yourself, you'll end up speaking for the corps activity as a whole.

I don't think you want to be a factor if DCA has to leave Rochester, do you?

One mayor, however ridiculous, is only ONE MAN.

Joe Shmoe from down the block is one man....the Mayor holds a BIT more political clout, and his job is to look after HIS residents, not DCA out of towners.

Having said all of that, I have to agree that a few more minutes of music in the parking lots after the show IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK AFTER BRINGING ALL SORTS OF DOLLARS INTO THEIR COMMUNITY.

If the show ended around 6pm sure.....invite the locals in for a freebie listen. But when the lot shows would start at maybe 10pm or later and people are trying to sleep??

Edited by 84BDsop

Just wondering why this is even an issue. Take your money and find a new sight to hold finals, someplace a little more location friendly to all traveling corps and thier fans. Rochester, really?

"Hey we went to Rochester to compete!" How does that really sound? Pretty Mickey Mouse to me. Select a venue that will draw record crowds and recognition, rather that scrutiny and the police.