No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

I am not going to speak on this matter in regards to any particular corps' situation or what-have-you, but the basis of the no post-retreat concert because of complaining residents is nothing new. Say hello to the wonderful world of NIMBY's.

In the metropolitan area I grew up in, there were tons of abandoned railroad tracks. Most were last used in the early 1990s. Then the farmers who owned the adjacent land sold it to developers who built housing developments along the abandoned tracks. Then a railroad comes in and wants to start service on these unused tracks, and then the people whose mansions are located within a stone's throw of the abandoned tracks file injunctions and all sorts of court proceedings and sue the railroad saying they are not allowed to run service for X Y and Z reasons. To this day I have yet to see a judge side with the railroad to reopen an abandoned track. People didn't want the trains there since they weren't there when they moved into their McMansions. However, the railroad property has been owned by railroads for 100+ years. Does it seem right? Not to me. I would absolutely side with the railroad.

Whenever issues of NIMBY status like the Rochester situation come up, I'm always reminded of the 11th commandment: Mind you own business. You buy a house next to a stadium, you need to expect sound, traffic, and other things that may be unpleasing. If you don't like noise or traffic... Don't move next to a stadium. I don't feel sorry for these people one bit. They should have to deal with their "issue" just as much as I deal with rush hour traffic or a long line at the checkout: you grin and bear it because you know it will be over soon. If I moved next to a coal burning power plant, and one day the wind shifts and my house is engulfed in offensive odors and smoke, am I supposed to sue the power plant and tell them they can't produce electricity that I am using when I am downwind of their facility? It's completely absurd.

To me, it sounds like they are biting the hand that feeds.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You buy a house next to a stadium, you need to expect sound, traffic, and other things that may be unpleasing. If you don't like noise or traffic... Don't move next to a stadium. I don't feel sorry for these people one bit. They should have to deal with their "issue" just as much as I deal with rush hour traffic or a long line at the checkout: you grin and bear it because you know it will be over soon. If I moved next to a coal burning power plant, and one day the wind shifts and my house is engulfed in offensive odors and smoke, am I supposed to sue the power plant and tell them they can't produce electricity that I am using when I am downwind of their facility? It's completely absurd.

To me, it sounds like they are biting the hand that feeds.

Except the stadium only dates back to 2006....DCA was one of the first non-soccer events at the facility, IIRC (were we the first event at ALL there?)

The residents were there long before the stadium was even designed....so I'd hardly say they should suck it up.

I am not speaking for anyone but myself --

After years of generating thousands upon thousands, if not collectively millions, of dollars for the city of Rochester over the last several years of holding DCA Championships in their acoustically-awful-for-drum-corps stadium, I find the recent threat from the Mayor's Office of Rochester to have performers arrested for playing an end of season concert after Prelims or Finals to demonstrate a lack of class and gratitude from the City of Rochester. DCA performers have worked hard all year, and one 11-minute standstill after the evening is done is not going to kill anyone. Maybe Mayor McCheese and his cohorts need to demonstrate a little gratitude for the money that has been poured into their city by DCA fans and drum corps.

I would also like to use this opportunity to apologize in advance for what is about to take place during the Crunchy Frog performance on Friday night.

That is all.

Lee Rudnicki

maybe all the corps can stay on the stadium property in the end zones and behind the back stands and do their thing after retreat

Anyone who thinks this is only an "eleven minute" problem is crazy. From the second the first corps leaves the stadium until the last corps is done with their mud run is probably nothing less than an hour. Yea, I think the are cool too, but necessary? No way. Heck, if I could, I'd pass a rule that no corps can play a note until the two champions are finished. Each and every year we have lot concerts disrupting the two champions, and that's incredibly disrespectful.

I actually work with a woman that is from the stadium neighborhood originally and she said she is surprised that no one has come out and taken a shot at one of the corps while doing one of these concerts. She said it is one of the worst neighborhoods in Rochester. So I am going to say that I am glad the concerts are not going to happen. Besides.....it also means that we can get back on the buses sooner and get home. It's a long 20+ hour ride home. :thumbup:

That is about the stupidest statement I have EVER read on here. I mean the stupidest. Are you even in drum corps? Have you ever marched?

The members marching,,the ones that do most of the fund raising. The ones that sweat their rears off all season and deal with aches and pains. The ones that come home sunburned and have to see a doctor the next day. THOSE are the people need to be the ones in the know. Not just a handful of corps directors that may or may not choose not to tell the membership because they have bigger things on their plates.

DCA business IS the corps members business.

:thumbup:

You're kidding, right??!?

RIGHT??!?

maybe all the corps can stay on the stadium property in the end zones and behind the back stands and do their thing after retreat

Actually if you read the Rochester noise ordinance (I have, BTW), that would not insulate you from being in violation if it can be heard from any adjoining private property. So after 10pm even the victory concert could be shut down if a complaint is called in - extreme circumstance I hope, but now you have to wonder how far the city will go to enforce the ordinance.

That being said I have to believe that the city, Alan and DCA have a good line of communication going.

I'm sad over the whole thing too, but I've been disappointed ever since returning to DCA in 2005 and discovering the corps stopped playing themselves off at retreat. I was left standing alone while the rest of the corps was beating feet off the back sideline and out the gate!

Still planning on showing up, giving 100%, and loving what I do until I'm told to stop....

That is about the stupidest statement I have EVER read on here. I mean the stupidest. Are you even in drum corps? Have you ever marched?

The members marching,,the ones that do most of the fund raising. The ones that sweat their rears off all season and deal with aches and pains. The ones that come home sunburned and have to see a doctor the next day. THOSE are the people need to be the ones in the know. Not just a handful of corps directors that may or may not choose not to tell the membership because they have bigger things on their plates.

DCA business IS the corps members business.

This whole thread is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

I can't believe what I'm reading, seriously. Everyone loves to do post finals concert (Go to Reading's web site and read Cabs vs Cops by Donnie Solinger), but the "we worked all year we deserve to do it" its the weakest thing I've ever heard.

What about the people that worked hard all week, what if in those houses you are playing front of resides newborn babies, sick people that could possibly have days left to live?

Are you people really THAT selfish?

Why can't you go back to your homebase AFTER you return from finals and do your last concert in your own neighborhood, which could be a win win, if you actually think outside the box. YOU get to perform one more time, and maybe show your own neighborhood what you are all about and drill up some interest both for membership and financial.

Camel - it is CLEAR to me - that YOU have NEVER run a corps, you have NO idea what directors do or even support staff.

I am disgusted by what some of you are saying here and embarressed.

Oh one more thing to take into consideration

Allen Buell and the Statesmen have worked their TALES off for this show, for all the members of DCA.

That corps is based in Rochester, you are willing to ruin THEIR reputation that they put on the line so YOU can play one more time.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

and another thing.............

So bids go out to another city - do you think people don't talk to each other.

"They were difficult, insisted on playing late into the night, the TAX PAYING neighbors hate it, don't do it"