No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

I'm sitting here just shaking my head. Last time I checked, most of you were adults.

Why don't you try acting like one?

The City of Rochester has asked that DCA comply with its noise ordinance regarding parking lot concerts. How hard is that to understand? If people complain, then the city is forced to take action.

If you feel THAT strongly about it, hold your concert anyway. When you're issued a summons by the City of Rochester for violating the noise ordinance, and fined by DCA for violating a directive from them, (And I hope it would be the whole amount of $$$ you'd receive for performing at finals), don't come crying to me.

Cause I'll just say "told ya so."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't it seem that every place that holds DCA Championships has had some problem to tick some people off? Where else would you hold it? Georgia? Won't happen because the majority of the Northeast corps won't travel that far. So that leaves out anything past Buffalo. You can always count on the Southern, MidWest and Western corps to travel anywhere to go to the Championships. Now, Rochester has more people in the seats (right?) and Buffalo does the same thing for DCI. So that area is beneficial for DCA. We all complained about Scranton and the police so Rochester puts in a great bid and it is accepted. Stop complaining!

No parking lot concert? So what. I agree with Tom about the area....prostitution and drugs and THEY are complaining to the Mayor about noise? Ticked off that they aren't getting any of the cash because DC people don't need a ho. I think you can write a well composed letter to the Mayor without being an idiot and that may help things. Here's the other idea I thought of....maybe the Mayor said that to appease the neighborhood but won't have the police do anything...just a thought.

I am surprised that Tom Peashey hasn't commented on this post yet.

Bob Duffy has been a HUGE fan of DCA and drum corps in general for years. He is soon to be elected NYS Lieutenant Governor. Let's not put a bad taste in his mouth, about drum corps, the last few months he's Roch mayor, it might have far reaching implications, plus it won't work to DCA's benefit. Once he's gone.........wellll......

Edited by ereese

I was just responding to what was written before. Stop thinking that everyone is negative Kay. That's a bad area period!

Broad Stroke much? So ALL the people in that area are prostitutes and drug addicts?

23 seasons as a DCA Corps Director, I think the guy has a point. ...This guy aged out of Jr. corps when you were still playing trumpet in your HS band, Ed.

Yeah..... I think Jay's been around for just a bit. LOL.

I was just responding to what was written before. Stop thinking that everyone is negative Kay. That's a bad area period!

I don't doubt it, and no not everyone is negative, but I think some here are just thinking about themsleves and not the big pictures xxoo :thumbup:

We are guests in Rochester for DCA weekend.

(By "we" I mean all of us connected with DCA.... show staff, corps staff, corps members, fans.)

Regarding the DCA championships, no situation, in any host city, is absolutely, 100 percent perfect.... never has been, never will be. Heck, that goes for any drum corps event, on any level, anywhere.

But openly trashing/denigrating the leaders of a host city... especially a city like Rochester, which has rolled out the red carpet for DCA and has been as gracious a host as any I can remember in all the years I've been involved with the activity.... is the wrong way to solve a perceived problem.

Just my opinion. See you all next weekend in Rochester!

Your opinon is incredibly valid and appropriate Fran. Dead on the money IMO.

From what you are saying, even a late night rehearsal within the city limits could be shut down if a complaint is made.

Speaking to the spirit if the ordinance the answer to that would be yes, and it could also include the festivities surrounding I&E. the fact that to my knowledge that hasn't happened leads me to believe that the city has been more than acommodating to our annual invasion.

Like the person I was addressing my post to, my first thought was to keep our celebration inside the stadium somehow, even if we gave the corps back the opportunity to play themselves off. For a number of reasons, including timing and still being in violation of the ordinance, that isn't possible either, IMO.

I have confidence in DCA, Alan and the local committee, and the city that all concerns and options were explored. All the more reason to make my last performance on the field next weekend my best and most memorable one.

Speaking to the spirit if the ordinance the answer to that would be yes, and it could also include the festivities surrounding I&E. the fact that to my knowledge that hasn't happened leads me to believe that the city has been more than acommodating to our annual invasion.

Like the person I was addressing my post to, my first thought was to keep our celebration inside the stadium somehow, even if we gave the corps back the opportunity to play themselves off. For a number of reasons, including timing and still being in violation of the ordinance, that isn't possible either, IMO.

I have confidence in DCA, Alan and the local committee, and the city that all concerns and options were explored. All the more reason to make my last performance on the field next weekend my best and most memorable one.

The hotel is in the business section of the City, thus most likely different noise ordinances on the books. I don't know if the stadium area has been zoned as residential/commercial or what. I would have to presume that due to the amount of residences, there is a residential noise ordinance on the books there somewhere.