Kidsgrove Scouts got hosed!

:tongue::huh:

I can't help but remember when there were over 70 Corps at the World Open Prelims in the different Classes - in ONE day...

Seems like the Judges then pretty much got it right - without needing a "previous read" to score them properly.

Granted, it was a different Scoring System (Ticks), but still...

Not for Nuthin', I'm just sayin'...

Yeah, there were NEVER any arguments about the judges back in the day! :soapbox::worthy::devil::blink::master:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there were NEVER any arguments about the judges back in the day! :huh::worthy::devil::tongue::blink:

Hahahahaha

Ummm.. I only wanted to give the Scouts some credit for bringing the house down in the port and express my thoughts about thier undeserved low score / placement. I never intended for this thread to get all crazy heated and stuff when I posted it. I figured that my little rant would have fallen back a few pages by now.

(For what it's worth) Those of of you who are about to see the Scouts for the first time will be freaked out by the way they perform. Im sure you will enjoy it. Best hornline in DCA in my opinion. Drums ? The small amount of dirt in the snare section is no greater than the dirt issues with the bucs this year. They only have about 17 in the guard but they spin thier ##### off. Reminded me of Les Mets from qubec 1994. Small guard yet they took top guard that year.

(In a nutshell) The possibilities are endless for the scoutes. I look forward to seeing the results next week.

Edited by HurcsGuyGD.

DCI = Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL , Corps from all over the world compete against each other. International corps on all levels over the years have had great success over the years in DCI. Has there ever been a DCI show in Tiawan? No, but for years corps from that country competed in DCI and did really well here in the USA.

DCA = Drum Corps ASSOCIATES Associates has many descriptions, but the dictionary gives many explainations.

–noun

7. a person who shares actively in anything as a business, enterprise, or undertaking; partner; colleague; fellow worker: He consulted with his associates before proceeding further.

8. a companion or comrade: my most intimate associates.

9. a confederate; an accomplice or ally: criminal associates.

10. anything usually accompanying or associated with another; an accompaniment or concomitant.

11. a person who is admitted to a subordinate degree of membership in an association or institution: an associate of the Royal Academy.

–adjective

12. connected, joined, or related, esp. as a companion or colleague; having equal or nearly equal responsibility: an associate partner.

13. having subordinate status; without full rights and privileges: an associate member.

14. allied; concomitant.

Say what you want, defend all you want, but the bottom line is if 10th place spot is between a DCA corps that has sponsored a show and a visiting corps from another country that is here for a week or so to compete, my money is on the DCA corps that sponsored a show to get that 10th spot.

i'll take your money

No, these are vehicles that look sort of like troop-transport boats with tires..... they run on land or at sea, and are used to take tourists on land-water excursions in various cities. We used to have 'em here in Baltimore and in DC before the local franchises shut down.

http://www.ridetheducks.com/home.aspx

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread.

and sink in Philly

I don't get into these things. I'm not a memeber of the DCA board. I volunteer for the I&E job, but I do judge alot.

I have to address some of the idiotic comments in this thread.

1) Dca board has nothing to do with jduges after the Chief judges are appointed. I held the position for 5 years and never was asked to do anything by the board other than save money when I could.

2) I bet not 50% of the judges could even tell you who sponsored contest this year. They live in different states show up judge go home.

3) The scores come from a system not indivual judges, the system determines total spread. Do judges make mistakes yes, it happens, but knowing most of them its an honest mistake and they feel worse about it than any on elese.

4) Now I could, go ahead and explain how the judges judging prelims have a differnet task than the finals judges, but I know this would be way above your comprehension level of DCA and their judges.

I apologize, I don't get into these things but stupidity of some of these comments over came me. Everyone enjoy the Corps and have a safe and great time in Rochester

:worthy::devil::tongue:

Dick,

I did not know what you pointed out in #4...unless it's something obvious that I am missing. I would be fascinated to hear a description of the tasks and how they differ from prelims to finals.

Thanks,

Joe

prelims= fewer numbers to use, ranking more important than rating. their job is to, as a panel, get the right corps in finals

finals...numbers open up, ranking and rating closer to equal in importance

Maybe this will help

From DCP's Stat Center

1. Buccaneers 93.718 +1.812 8/28

2. Empire Statesmen 92.478 +2.271 8/28

3. Hurricanes 92.462 +1.330 8/28

4. Minnesota Brass 91.944 +1.595 8/22

5. Caballeros 90.828 +1.260 8/28

6. Bushwackers 85.454 +0.349 8/28

7. Kidsgrove Scouts 83.325 +83.325 8/28

8. Kilties 82.246 +1.985 8/22

9. CorpsVets 81.462 +3.095 8/21

10. Alliance 80.580 +4.255 8/21

The DCP numbers hold up very well during the season, so this should be your top ten? I would think the Renegades should be in the top 10 too, so you never know.

Edited by CT-Horn

prelims= fewer numbers to use, ranking more important than rating. their job is to, as a panel, get the right corps in finals

finals...numbers open up, ranking and rating closer to equal in importance

...how does it work for the *individual* judge, Jeff? I think I understand the concept, just having a hard time coming to grips with the "panel" part of it. I'm not a judge as *judges* go, I teach. That said, I've judged many times in the band world...I dunno that I'd be able to do *anything* other than what I'd do normally...you see this?

cg

Edited by chasgroh