Shows you find entertaining that a lot of others don't

Purely personal choice, here...

'74 Troopers.

Background: This was the first DCI show I ever witnessed live. Troopers led off, and opened with "Ghost Riders". Well, this small-town country boy was a member of a small-town school band in central NY...which also happened to be marching to "Ghost Riders" that summer. Band director took us (yes, the whole band...his personal "thanks" for marching that summer) to the show in Syracuse, NY (which, I might add, if memory serves me correctly, took place one night AFTER DCI finals in Ithaca, NY). Troop was first off the line, and approached the stands with their known rendition of "Ghost Riders." To say that all of us sat there in apoplectic shock would be the severest of understatements. At that point, a "personal fan favorite" was born. And has lived to this very day.

Not a big moment for the readership as a whole, I grant you. But for this small-town kid (now dementia-ridden man), nothing other than huge.

Bluecoats 2009 for the same reason. Though there are things I really like in it as well (That Sky Blue ballad is gorgeous), it was my first time, and it was fantastic.......

Edited by DrumManTx

With the (hopefully) generous patience and acceptance of the general DCP readership, I would also like to make one other point regarding this thread.

For many of us, I would hope, the chance to look backward with a wink, smile, or sigh is a most welcomed experience. The only problem I have is this: the antecedent phrase of "that others don't" in the thread title presents a most difficult task. I, for one, don't know what shows, across the broad spectrum of shows stemming from a time period encompassing the years 1973-2014, weren't highly regarded by a large section of the population. I only know one thing; what was a "high" moment for me, and for me alone. Think of it this way: ask any middle-aged man from the general New England-area what his most prized personally-attended moment was as a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I would be willing to venture that for many, it would be that time that as an 8-, 9-, or 10-year old, he first found himself traversing from the darkness of the concourse into the bright wonderment of his sideline seat at Fenway Park. Did he even sense the other 38-odd thousand others attending? Most probably not. It was his experience, and his experience alone. Was he even aware that he was but one of 38-odd thousand screaming as Williams, Yaz, Lynn, or Evans circled the bases or made the great catch? Most probably he wasn't. And maybe even more importantly...did he even care? Again, I would say "probably not."

For me, the 1974 MacArthur Stadium in Syracuse became my personal Fenway Park. The Troopers became my Red Sox. The specific night of Sunday, 18 August, 1974 became my "1974 season." Do I remember the number of people cheering the Trooper's performance that night? Do I even remember how full (or relatively empty) the stands were? And maybe most importantly, do (or DID, at the time) I even care? No to all the above.

I am sincerely sorry for the lecture. However, as I read the constant back-and-forth accompanying all matters on DCP (and almost most of which I highly enjoy, by the way), I felt it necessary to lend the personal, albeit probably unnecessary, reflection.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

With the (hopefully) generous patience and acceptance of the general DCP readership, I would also like to make one other point regarding this thread.

For many of us, I would hope, the chance to look backward with a wink, smile, or sigh is a most welcomed experience. The only problem I have is this: the antecedent phrase of "that others don't" in the thread title presents a most difficult task. I, for one, don't know what shows, across the broad spectrum of shows stemming from a time period encompassing the years 1973-2014, weren't highly regarded by a large section of the population. I only know one thing; what was a "high" moment for me, and for me alone. Think of it this way: ask any middle-aged man from the general New England-area what his most prized personally-attended moment was as a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I would be willing to venture that for many, it would be that time that as an 8-, 9-, or 10-year old, he first found himself traversing from the darkness of the concourse into the bright wonderment of his sideline seat at Fenway Park. Did he even sense the other 38-odd thousand others attending? Most probably not. It was his experience, and his experience alone. Was he even aware that he was but one of 38-odd thousand screaming as Williams, Yaz, Lynn, or Evans circled the bases or made the great catch? Most probably he wasn't. And maybe even more importantly...did he even care? Again, I would say "probably not."

For me, the 1974 MacArthur Stadium in Syracuse became my personal Fenway Park. The Troopers became my Red Sox. The specific night of Sunday, 18 August, 1974 became my "1974 season." Do I remember the number of people cheering the Trooper's performance that night? Do I even remember how full (or relatively empty) the stands were? And maybe most importantly, do (or DID, at the time) I even care? No to all the above.

I am sincerely sorry for the lecture. However, as I read the constant back-and-forth accompanying all matters on DCP (and almost most of which I highly enjoy, by the way), I felt it necessary to lend the personal, albeit probably unnecessary, reflection.

Horn Teacher's observations here might not have been a home run over the Green Monster and onto Lansdowne Street, but it was at least a solid double, high off the Green Monster that the left fielder couldn't get the ball back to the 2nd basemen quick enough to tag out Horn Teacher who just beat the tag. Nice hit, HornTeacher.

Edited by BRASSO

Horn Teacher's observations here might not have been a home run over the Green Monster and onto Lansdowne Street, but it was at least a solid double, high off the Green Monster that the left fielder couldn't get the ball back to the 2nd basemen quick enough to tag out Horn Teacher who just beat the tag. Nice hit, HornTeacher.

You meant over the Monster Seats and onto Lansdowne Street BRASSO, correct?

Most recently, Bluecoats 2013. Granted, it had some design flaws but I was able to look beyond those. My feeling is much of the audience was just kind of meh. I enjoyed it because I felt they were willing to try something different.

My impression of that show: solid opener, even better closer, and I don't remember what happened in the middle. And you're probably about the audience's sentiment. I don't really hear that show get mentioned very much.

My impression of that show: solid opener, even better closer, and I don't remember what happened in the middle. And you're probably about the audience's sentiment. I don't really hear that show get mentioned very much.

I found the middle section to be subtly satirical, especially the piccolo trumpet, cymbal, baritone trio.