DCA Top Five

well..when staff cant all agree, you have issues. shame, tons of talent there

Yeah-- I got wind of some of that, it peturbed me then, and it still somewhat peturbes me now. man, I don't lay claim to a lot of common sense, but I know I had more than some of the characters in that drama.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyhow- just trynig to tie this wacky thread all together:

Walt! Goodonya, was a pleasure to see you at Scranton, and I hope to see you at Serenade this year. It was a pleasure playing with youat SiB a couple of years ago, and it would be an equal or greater pleasure to do so again. Guys like you make me stand taller and mind my musical P's and Q's more. :starwars:

I also realized that I should be more thankful for my experiences and what I did and with whom. I done good for a 16 year old kid in DCA in the early '80's against some top people like Fran and Tony for starters! :thumbdown:

Also, some of you folks should be more thankful the corps you performed with is still active. It's more than a lot of us on DCP can lay claim to, including myself. I hope you NEVER know that kind of feeling like Ream and I have about it. Kinda like a black hole in your gut when you think about it.

Now, to the supposed meat of this thread:

Relax, folks!! I think some folks have already hit on it but I will- Everyone got a lot better in the top 5 in '10. I'd say Empire might be able to argue they were the "Most Improved" corps from last year and I think they'd have a very legit claim on that. I think that hypothetically, maybe that show'd beat '09 Reading. But since we don't have the equivalent Drum Corps version of Madden Football, we can't know for sure. Good for conversation over a tall St. Patrick's pint of Half-and Half, though... Reading was also a lot better this season programatically- they didn't sit and provide a stationary target- something easy to do if you're in their position. They managed to move the target forward. If they hadn't, we'd not be looking at a sixpeat right now, period.

Also-- reading between the lines, a lot of people gripe about a corps when it's not their fave and find more dirt and flaws in their program than their fave. It's a tendency that people will have, and it's very hard to get rid of and set it aside. I look back at myself as a kid and see it in me back then. I worked very hard to get by all that early in my life.

Finally, I think some people also have a firmly held belief that if it's their fave show it should win. The two can be very separate. I loved '09 MBI a ton! I also realized they didn't have quite the stank to beat the Bucs. Did I scream bloody murder about it here like a crazed ding-dong with an "MBI GOT SCREWED!!!!" thread!? Heck, no. There was no reason to do something that insane, for Pete's sake. The reality was the reality, and I understood what was going down- it wasn't the judges, etc. etc. ad nauseaum.... they just didn't have everything quite as neatly tended to.

Man, I still love '93 BD and '91 Crossmen a ton too, but do I think they were hosed? No!!!!! But I love them for what they were and for the way they inspire me anyway. I think some folks have gotta just settle down and start gaining some kinda enlightenment and understanding here instead of freakin' out like a ragin' ding-dong....

Edited by BigW

Yeah-- I got wind of some of that, it peturbed me then, and it still somewhat peturbes me now. man, I don't lay claim to a lot of common sense, but I know I had more than some of the characters in that drama.

thats a rant for me to lay out in our thread

thats a rant for me to lay out in our thread

From what I know- if it were me, I'da seen a big pitcher of fresh-squeezed just right lemonade where some people saw a 50-gallon drum of lemons, and that's where things started not to go well.

Heck even if yah got a barrel full of lemons, you can stick a peppermint stick in 'em and suck out the juice through the stick, yah know!? :thumbdown:

Anyhow- just trynig to tie this wacky thread all together:

Big W,

It was an enjoyable talk in Scranton indeed. I look forward to playing at SIB this year.

BD '93 and Phantom '89 are my two favorite shows in DCI. Neither of these shows won...doesn't matter. No complaints from me. Just enjoyed them alot. Still listen to them more than any others. The last 43 years in drum corps have taught me that, while not eveyrone can be number 1, we can all be our best, no matter what any pieces of paper tell us. I've been on both sides of the winning/losing thing now. I 've enjoyed it all. The experiences I've had and the friends I have made because of drum corps far out weigh any of the BS others think is a necessary part of our activity.

Walter

Relax, folks!! I think some folks have already hit on it but I will- Everyone got a lot better in the top 5 in '10. I'd say Empire might be able to argue they were the "Most Improved" corps from last year and I think they'd have a very legit claim on that. I think that hypothetically, maybe that show'd beat '09 Reading. But since we don't have the equivalent Drum Corps version of Madden Football, we can't know for sure. Good for conversation over a tall St. Patrick's pint of Half-and Half, though... Reading was also a lot better this season programatically- they didn't sit and provide a stationary target- something easy to do if you're in their position. They managed to move the target forward. If they hadn't, we'd not be looking at a sixpeat right now, period.

Also-- reading between the lines, a lot of people gripe about a corps when it's not their fave and find more dirt and flaws in their program than their fave. It's a tendency that people will have, and it's very hard to get rid of and set it aside. I look back at myself as a kid and see it in me back then. I worked very hard to get by all that early in my life.

Finally, I think some people also have a firmly held belief that if it's their fave show it should win. The two can be very separate. I loved '09 MBI a ton! I also realized they didn't have quite the stank to beat the Bucs. Did I scream bloody murder about it here like a crazed ding-dong with an "MBI GOT SCREWED!!!!" thread!? Heck, no. There was no reason to do something that insane, for Pete's sake. The reality was the reality, and I understood what was going down- it wasn't the judges, etc. etc. ad nauseaum.... they just didn't have everything quite as neatly tended to.

Man, I still love '93 BD and '91 Crossmen a ton too, but do I think they were hosed? No!!!!! But I love them for what they were and for the way they inspire me anyway. I think some folks have gotta just settle down and start gaining some kinda enlightenment and understanding here instead of freakin' out like a ragin' ding-dong....

Edited by bandmanwalt

Didn't you have the sickest G# ever in 03.... that should be like two first place finishes.

It should be, but you would deserve half of that... and Gary doesn't count!

I've got a pretty good track record!

Open Class

2000 #1st

2001 #1st

2003 #2nd

2004 #2nd

A class

2009 #2

2010 #2

Pretty cool !

later,

Mike

1978 - Rochester Crusaders - largest horn line in the history of DCA 76 horns... 26 lead sops alone... and probably the record volume levels...

:) Tonight, tonight, won't be just any night...