Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

My take on the "donation" thing, is that if you are able to spend at least $30 - $50 in beer and food at the venue, what is an extra $5 to pay to get IN to that venue?

(YES....even in this bad economy)!

Give money back to ALL the corps that perform based on their finish.

3000 people X $5.00 = $15,000.00

DCA would STILL make money!

Edited by FPonzo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on the "donation" thing, is that if you are able to spend at least $30 - $50 in beer and food at the venue, what is an extra $5 to pay to get IN to that venue?

(YES....even in this bad economy)!

Give money back to ALL the corps that perform based on their finish.

3000 people X $5.00 = $15,000.00

DCA would STILL make money!

I generally agree with everything except payment based on placement,.....................DCA has gone away from prize money based on placement a long time ago,............every field corps get the same at a minimum level,.............But I do like the idea of donations or an entrance fee,................

Mini corps spend an awful lot to get into the contest between arrangements, instruction, registration fees, music licensing, insurance, rooms and travel expenses, etc..................for everything including rooms for just one night a typical 21 people plus support might spend $3000.00 or more, not including meals,................and that is if you are driving a few hours,............if you are flying in, well, you could add several thousand more,.............

Edited by Gary Matczak

I generally agree with everything except payment based on placement,.....................DCA has gone away from prize money based on placement a long time ago,............every field corps get the same at a minimum level,.............But I do like the idea of donations or an entrance fee,................

Mini corps spend an awful lot to get into the contest between arrangements, instruction, registration fees, music licensing, insurance, rooms and travel expenses, etc..................for everything including rooms for just one night a typical 21 people plus support might spend $3000.00 or more, not including meals,................and that is if you are driving a few hours,............if you are flying in, well, you could add several thousand more,.............

I dunno ... the Mini's are part of the entire I&E experience ... I've got mixed emotions about a "pay for play" just for the Mini's ... I think it takes away from the essence and purity of the I&E ... I can see where DCA could run 50/50's, expand on their button program or, flat out pass the bucket to offset costs - and possibly eliminate "entrance" fees ... but ... dividing up $$$ soley between the Mini's bothers me ... I think it would begin a slippery slope ... but that's just me thinking out loud ... I guess if DCA were to consider the Mini show equal to the Alumni show as a separate venue and charge for admission, then divvy up the net $$$ (after costs) between the participants, it could work ... so ... that would mean the bulk of the I&E would be free and fans would "pay at the door" to get into the Mini show ... good topic ... I'd still move the bar to cut down on the chatter but, Annopolis may solve that problem on its own ...

:-)

I would settle for dimming the lights when a min-corps is performing. Doing so would remind the audience to quiet down.

Move the bar to another location in the Convention Center and you'll remove most of the noise ... when we first went to Roch in 2006, there seemed to be adequate separation from front to back with smaller crowds ... five years later and it seems that the crowds have grown and the separation diminished ... move the bar and you'll solve a lot but, not all of the "social" background noise ... and now is the time to prepare how Annapolis will be set up ...

Andy "BHOF MC who routinely directs 'socializers' to the bar" Lisko

We sat about halfway down and on one side of the middle section. Middle of the show, the noise from the "bar side" was loud enough to be heard in between songs. Remember thinking that I'm going to be upset when I hear that on the CD.

Left before the show was over but caught Minni Brass from the back wall. Bad back there too, seemed like no one was watching the freakin' stage....

We don't notice it on stage...maybe if the announcer could remind the crowd just before asking if the judges are ready that might be enough to keep it to a dull roar.

But we need the sound system to be better, from our spots what was said over the PA system was so garbeled as to be useless......

But we need the sound system to be better, from our spots what was said over the PA system was so garbeled as to be useless......

Well, all that the show coordinator needs to do is dim the lights before a corps starts playing. It works in theaters all the time, and it would show respect for the performing corps.

Edited by Never Bb

the social is the beauty of mini corps. remember that the origin of mini corps awesomeness was the Erie Thunderbirds and their style was like over-the-top entertainment at a party.

the party is the key.

mini corps is the exclamation point on the party...a party that started when everyone got on the bus on Friday morning and finally had a chance to get together around 8pm at dca.

the "gathering" is still the draw.... and LOOK! everybody shows up :) that was a 3,000 person hoo-hah and all you had to bring was a pulse and a smile. Thank you, Dick Pronti :)

"toning it down", "dimming the lights", and all that misses the point....

its loose, its fun, its unique the way it is....and is absolutely true to its origin as a party and a happening.

please, DCA, dont change a thing

the social is the beauty of mini corps. remember that the origin of mini corps awesomeness was the Erie Thunderbirds and their style was like over-the-top entertainment at a party.

the party is the key.

mini corps is the exclamation point on the party...a party that started when everyone got on the bus on Friday morning and finally had a chance to get together around 8pm at dca.

the "gathering" is still the draw.... and LOOK! everybody shows up :) that was a 3,000 person hoo-hah and all you had to bring was a pulse and a smile. Thank you, Dick Pronti :)

"toning it down", "dimming the lights", and all that misses the point....

its loose, its fun, its unique the way it is....and is absolutely true to its origin as a party and a happening.

please, DCA, dont change a thing

Joey,

Usually I agree with everything you say here on DCP. You are 99.99% spot on with everything and I really respect that about you.....BUT...

...Here is the 00.01% where I disagree with you.

To all of the mini corps, this is OUR championship. Just like the Open Class and Class A DCA corps have their days/nights competing for a championship. This is OUR night! The ONLY night each year that we have to compete! I honestly feel that all the 'partyers' or 'gatherers' are showing a lack of respect for what they are watching by all of the noise they are creating. At one time yes.....this was the big party of the weekend. But as most of the drum corps circuit has done over the past years, things evolve. The Mini Corps are no different. We have ALL evolved into what we are doing today. Each one of the corps performing are taking this night very seriously, and the winner of the show can proudly display themselves as the DCA Mini Corps CHAMPION. This may not mean anything to the people 'partying' or 'gathering', but to the performers it means EVERYTHING!!To some, this is a chance for thier corps to grow and possibly even evolve into a DCA Class A corps, or as MCL has done, evolve into a DCA Open Class Corps. (Watch them in 2004....brand new mini corps, and came out in 2005 as an Open class corps)!

It's time to change things up with this portion of the weekend. Things DO need to change!!! You can still have your party....move it outside, or into the lobby area. It's big enough. (And admit it.....the party starts the minute you arrive in Rochester...not when the mini corps start!) Move the beer cart, and food cart out there. You want to party? Great....go for it...but do it outside. If you want to watch a serious competition between the top mini corps in the country, come inside...but keep the noise down, and then cheer as loudly as you want, and talk as loudly as you want after a particular corps has finished their portion of the competition! But once the next corps comes on, show the respect to that corps and quiet down!

Sorry....just my $ .02. Flame away.....

Edited by FPonzo