Who is REALLY boycotting DCI?

BX5CM

Then by definition, no one will boycott. I highly doubt I will ever see a day when there is a picket line in front of stadiums all over the country where "boycotters" encourage others to not buy tickets or support the corps. If the definition is not so literal .. then yes many will. They will do so by not going to the shows, not buying FN, not buying souvies and turning their interests to DCA and other forms of entertainment not sponsored by DCI. Count me as one of those if WINDS are ever legalized.

True. To the credit of the thousands that have left following the DCI activity over the last few decades, the vast majority of former fans left rather quietly and peaceably. We don't see picket lines, with protestors outside of stadiums protesting with picket signs, with catcalls, and whatnot. It was an orderly departure for the most part. They simply left.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. To the credit of the thousands that have left following the DCI activity over the last few decades, the vast majority of former fans left rather quietly and peaceably. We don't see picket lines, with protestors outside of stadiums protesting with picket signs, with catcalls, and whatnot. It was an orderly departure for the most part. They simply left.

Ah, the glory days before the internet............. :angel1:

I really do kid. You guys are certainly entitled to express your discourse.

Being on a drum corps forum doesn't mean you're not boycotting DCI. There are quite a few people on here who enjoy the historical forums and/or actively participate in DCA. There is no magical WALL between the forum sections. If those people want to chime in on what disturbs them about DCI ... good for them. Without balance to the arguments on here, there's no real point of having a forum.

All it takes for me is the vision in my head of watching MCBA finals at Ford Field and then imagining the announcer screaming, "THE BLUE DEVILS!" .......... and that does it for me. I can say without question that if woodwinds were ever passed, it would be the very last second that ever support DCI in any way, shape or form.

Will I be on hear yelling about it? Of course, because I do care about drum corps and would be highly peeved that the morons in charge would ever let the activity be degraded to the point of being mere marching bands. It's stupifying to the 1000th degree. Those who support it are either A) too young to know the difference or B) drank too much kool-aid.

....or C) realize the drum corps are 'mere' marching bands and always have been or D) realize that the drum corps experience for the audience is not about the instrumental limitations, but rather the shows presented, or E) realize that drum corps is the top level of marching music and should include any and all aspects of the genre (hence WW+ any other instruments) or F) realize that the heart of the drum corps experience for the MM are the intangible things that have been discussed here many times and not the instruments.

....or C) realize the drum corps are 'mere' marching bands and always have been or D) realize that the drum corps experience for the audience is not about the instrumental limitations, but rather the shows presented, or E) realize that drum corps is the top level of marching music and should include any and all aspects of the genre (hence WW+ any other instruments) or F) realize that the heart of the drum corps experience for the MM are the intangible things that have been discussed here many times and not the instruments.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but there were only two options, so you're wrong.

Sorry MikeD but I have to fundmaentally disagree with you on this one... The very definition of what differntiates drum corps and marching band IS the instrumentation (read... Drum and BUGLE Corps... not Drum and Bugle/Trombone/Saxaphone/Flute/Clarinet and Bass Guitar Corps)... I have seen many a marching band that wpuld be able to hold their own perfectly well in a DCI or DCA contest. The likes of Avon HS, Broken Arrow HS, Marion Catholic etc etc would all fare perfectly well in a DCI contest if judged like for like. So sorry Mike, I dont buy into all this rubbish about "performance levels" being the difference.

Now I would not have a problem with DCI and MBA merging or for DCI to have a "Marching Band Division" per se, but to call a marching band a drum corps or vice versa is simply wrong. Apples and oranges are both fruit, I love them both, they are both good for me and provide me plenty of vitamins and nutrients, but they are also completely different to each other.

Cainan, mikes has gone on record many times with his belief that drum corps are just marching bands so I don't think he will change his stance in a hurry.

He's also stated he doesn't care for marching bands who adopt traditional drum corps instrumentation so the only conclusion I can draw from that is he doesn't really care for drum corps as it should be and won't be content until all instruments are allowed and the cadets play a killer accordian solo in the middle of their show.

I completely agree with you cainan but have to ask one question- what the heck are you doing up at 7am on a Sunday?

We're all well aware of your opinion of drum corps being a marching band Mike. I think it's safe to say that 10 years ago .. you were in the minority. You might still be in the minority, but if woodwinds are introduced .. then YES YOU WILL BE RIGHT. Until then, the rest of us can only hope and pray.

F) Realize that the majority of dino's are purists when it comes to drum corps .. and that is why DCI has lost and keeps losing them as a profitable demographic. Brass, drums, pit, march your buts off. Amps still tick us off, synthesizers/guitars/basses tick us off, voice/narration/drumspeak ticks us off. For that, we spend less or nothing on DCI anymore. So, keep praying that all those band kids will come to the show with $200 bucks in their pockets or the proverbial toilet will keep flushing.

We're all well aware of your opinion of drum corps being a marching band Mike. I think it's safe to say that 10 years ago .. you were in the minority. You might still be in the minority, but if woodwinds are introduced .. then YES YOU WILL BE RIGHT. Until then, the rest of us can only hope and pray.

F) Realize that the majority of dino's are purists when it comes to drum corps .. and that is why DCI has lost and keeps losing them as a profitable demographic. Brass, drums, pit, march your buts off. Amps still tick us off, synthesizers/guitars/basses tick us off, voice/narration/drumspeak ticks us off. For that, we spend less or nothing on DCI anymore. So, keep praying that all those band kids will come to the show with $200 bucks in their pockets or the proverbial toilet will keep flushing.

I really don't think the majority of the audience are dinos, though. Not from what I've seen at the shows I attend.

Edited by WOOHOO

oh I'm not so sure I need to tell the young'uns the F'in reason here . They probably already know that DCI offers more "intangibles" than playing with your instrument all summer long.

It's not like electronics are going to be repealed...

One can dream. Certainly there will come a day when there are no drum corps using electronics. Everything comes to an end eventually. The question is, will that day come before the end of drum corps?